2014 Express AWD cargo van PNW 4 season camper

iridewheelies

Adventurer
My van sits really low. I've scraped the bottom of the van and the receiver hitch just about every time I go off road and every time I back into my driveway with a bike rack on I scrape the pavement. I'm sick of it.

My drivers side sits much lower than the passenger side, I assume because most of the camping equipment (including my house batteries) are on the drivers side, along with the full tank. I have the stock torsion bar key adjuster on the driver side all the way in and it's still low on that side.

It was time for a suspension lift.

I ordered the Traxda kit straight from Traxda. It comes with a 1.5" - 3" lift torsion bar key and a 1" lift block for the rear. When I called them they offered to send a 3" lift block instead of the 1" for no extra charge so I agreed.

After installing the kit I think maybe I should have had them send a 2" lift block instead. The van is higher in the back and is is still too low on the driver side. I have the new driver side key adjusted all the way in and the passenger side is only about halfway in. I feel like I only got an inch and a half lift out of the key, max. I need to figure out how to get that drivers side up higher. If I could get a full 2 1/2" - 3" lift out of the keys then I'd be happy with how it sits with the 3" blocks in the back. I'd have plenty of clearance for driving off road.

this is the passenger side

This is the driver side

See how much of the driver side adjuster is showing? I have plenty of lift left in that adjuster but I need to keep it even with the driver side.

3" block in the rear of the van

I have an idea on how to get the driver side up higher. What if I was able to get a new GM factory torsion bar for just the driver side that's stiffer to make up for the increased weight on that side? Seems like a good idea to me.

The factory bar in my van is #15750719

I need to find a torsion bar that's maybe 400 pounds stiffer. Does anyone have experience in this? I found this page with a chart showing different spring rates for GM torsion bars but my bar isn't in the chart. http://www.gmfullsize.com/tech/torsion401.html

86cj

Explorer
AWD Van torsion bar ratings

FYI I have the same 54" XS #15750719 and 20 torsion bars on my AWD Pass van, I suspect they are near 7300lb on the rating. I could not find the info on the XS in our vans a few years ago. It looks like going slightly heavier like I did on the back is not and option, GK 8615lb bars are next up. I figured I would watch Van settle and try a set if I had to later. Aftermarket replacement bars are out there but some are not available anymore. Your van might be heavy enough to ride just fine with the 3/4 ton 8600lb bars, my vans weight varies alot with usage. The down travel on the upper control arms will be the issue it hits the frame stop, I turned my lift down to 2 1/2" and noticed a little less harshness. We need a real 3+" lift kit with better upper control arms and heavier bars available, the CV joints have alot of angle still and I have zero bumpsteer when at 3". Why go 6" when 35's won't fit anyway, give us a nice 3-4" lift with proper geometry and shocks.

You will be working that rear spring harder now that the rear bumpstop has so much space, the bottom leaf will be getting bent further than designed and start to settle fast. You could also get some wheelhop in sand etc.. stressing the drivetrain which otherwise has smooth power delivery. Take a look at the bottom leaf on the 2900lb rear springs I use it looks like a mini traction bar, you could use a bumpstop spacer to help the your stock spring survive. The 3700lb 3/4 ton van leave spring is a better modern tapered spring like your stock spring but has a flatter arch so the lift is not alot , it's a good choice too. Lift blocks come in sizes from 7/8"-1 1/4" factory 4x4 option blocks to your 3" blocks.

It's been hot this season and your vent idea is in my head now........................

iridewheelies

Adventurer
Thanks for the feedback 86CJ. My original plan was to go with the 99 Suburban leaf springs in the rear but I thought I'd try the lift blocks first to see if I could save some money. The 3" block is too much, I'm either going to go down to 2" or just blow the cash on Suburban springs I guess.

I'm still worried about getting a little more lift out of the front. When I finish my interior it'll be even heavier on the driver side. I hope I can find a suitable torsion bar, maybe the 3/4 ton one will work?

java

Expedition Leader
Just catching up on your thread, looking really good!

Do you know how many hours were on your heater to carbon it up like that? I just picked on up, and the hour meter is reading 14, hopefully its accurate!

And I agree Bachelor is awesome for lot camping! We go once a year at least usually, Ill say hi if I see you!

Mcarpenito89

Adventurer
That's awesome ! I def want tondo something like this.

Did you ever fix your lift kit or go down in blocks, what was you end result ?

Mcarpenito89

Adventurer
I'm using switches from http://www.otrattw.net for all of my electrical upgrades. They sell carling switches with custom covers. They have hundreds of designs and you can customize the text at no extra charge. I've made two orders with them and both were shipped very fast and the packing was excellent. I highly recommend buying from them.

I went with the new contura 14 style covers. I'm trying to keep the dash looking as factory as possible and the 14 looked best to me. If you go to the site you'll see the other styles.

I ordered several sizes of switch holders because I wasn't sure how they'd fit in my dash. I was super happy to find out that if you put two "ends" together as a two switch bracket it will fit in the factory dash perfectly after you remove the switch blank. Take a look

977bee44b6340f863fea35ccf52ad50d.jpg

30c7d18e5e4830c682b787bab3a78de5.jpg

2691e7a29d89fee86792f5ba6b407d8e.jpg

I went with green led back lighting on the bottom and amber led for the top because it's the closest match to the existing dash lighting.

http://youtu.be/-br6_TwrUso

This is awesome, I plan to do something similar..

What was your end result with the lift kit?

iridewheelies

Adventurer
I'm still looking for a solution for the front lift. I'd like a stiffer torsion bar but haven't found one yet. In the back I'll probably put the 99 suburban springs in. It's expensive but I believe it's the best long term solution.

I'm off to Mt St Helens for the weekend. I'm going to fix it next week!

iridewheelies

Adventurer
Do you know how many hours were on your heater to carbon it up like that? I just picked on up, and the hour meter is reading 14, hopefully its accurate!

My heater was plugged with carbon after maybe 15 hours but I had it set too rich and added the improper fuel filter + fuel damper. Now that I've got it sorted out there's probably 40 hours on it with no problems. I'll pull it out before ski season starts to take a look. I'll post photos

fire_strom

Adventurer
Hi. My van sits lower on the driver side too. It is a stock (-one bench) load inside so I have no reason to list over except for the gas tank. I did the "86cj" lift with the Suburban sings and am really happy with it except for the Traxda front keys. I wish I had paid better attention to the indexing compared to the stock keys and I wish I could find my notes from my pre install heights because I depot think those Traxdas did much. It is higher but I have the bolts way deeper than before. So how much is the keys and how much is the buried bolts? I wish I had gone with a different key brand. I got a kit that included shock extenders that I didn't need for over $100. There are key only options for half that. The ride is great still. The steering changed a tiny bit. I am getting new tires and wheel powder coat and alinement this week. Fun stuff. Enjoy yours!
-G

iridewheelies

Adventurer
I compared the Traxda keys to my stock keys and there wasn't much of a difference in the key index. I wonder if I should have gone with a different key.

If I could do this over I would order keys from Maxx because they had a secondary key to make finer adjustments, I believe this would allow me to level my van https://www.suspensionmaxx.com/store/product/SMX-MC2

I'm going to see if Traxda will take the kit back. If they will, I'll try the Maxx keys and either a 2" lift block or the 99' Suburban springs.

iridewheelies

Adventurer
Wow TeleSteve, the supreme suspension kit is only $154 on Amazon Prime right now, only half the price of the Traxda!

I wish the manufacturers would include the amount of indexing on the keys so we could compare.

TeleSteve

Adventurer
Wow TeleSteve, the supreme suspension kit is only $154 on Amazon Prime right now, only half the price of the Traxda!

I wish the manufacturers would include the amount of indexing on the keys so we could compare.
Yes, that is why went with there kit! I think there is enough adjustment left to go over 3", although that would leave you with very little droop.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier