2014 G550 Build/Mods

jacksond

I have a 15 550 and also want to do a front bumper and winch. Not sure who makes one that is also compatible with the Distronic.

Not sure if you ever found a solution but after looking around, I've found a G that had the two inner sensors of the bumper modded to fit just outside the bull bar leaving the inside area for a winch. It was only a picture but now reading some articles to see what the process would be like to add new holes to the bumper and move the sensors. Would also then have to figure out how to mount the winch. May be better off buying the viking bumper/winch kit and just adding holes to that one. The "original tow pin bumper" seems like another possible solution.
Your thoughts?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGehy5XKKRs/?taken-by=automaniacs

I tried reaching out to the poster and a couple of the commenters but none of them had any additional information on how it was done or whose it was. But IT'S POSSIBLE!

Last edited:

namsag

Have you gotten the lift spacers installed? Would love to see a picture. I got 30s, didn"t know the 50s were out there. I like the 30s but I bet the 50s are way cool. Nice rack.

Last edited:

pvb

Thor from Viking Offroad can help you. He mounted a winch on my 2015 G-550. The radar sensor is mounted in a little box on the bull bar.

Peter

jacksond

Thor from Viking Offroad can help you. He mounted a winch on my 2015 G-550. The radar sensor is mounted in a little box on the bull bar.

Peter

Do you have any pictures of your G? Would love to see it with your tires and rack. similar to the build I'm going for!

MetalDog

Observer

Peter

Hi Peter, can you provide some detailed pictures? I also have a 2015 and am very interested in this also.

Hi jacksond,
Did you have the dealer reprogram the computer for the new tires? I've read that they can set the configuration for a couple different sizes. Any idea what those are? I'm considering going up a bit in size but would prefer to have the speedo, etc all work correctly.

Thanks!

2015 G550

jacksond

Hi jacksond,
Did you have the dealer reprogram the computer for the new tires? I've read that they can set the configuration for a couple different sizes. Any idea what those are? I'm considering going up a bit in size but would prefer to have the speedo, etc all work correctly.

Thanks!

2015 G550

Hi warrantchief,
I have read on the site about a few people that have gotten this done. The issues they were weary of were the esp and the speedometer. For me, I have found that with the new tires, it goes 2mph faster than displayed. As for the esp, it hasn't been a big enough issue to cause warrant. However, it can be done and I have seen that list of the different programming options. Feel free to post the list on this thread when you find it

Good luck

Just a follow up. According to a few shops, it is not possible to reprogram the 2015 g550 tire diameter. With that in mind, I only went up one size to 265/65/18. So far no issues. The ESP is less intrusive than my 4runner trail edition with bfg ko2s, so I'm happy.

I was sad to discover that you can't lock the diffs without being in 4-lo, which I had read was changed for 2015, but it turns out that is 2016+?

jacksond

Just a follow up. According to a few shops, it is not possible to reprogram the 2015 g550 tire diameter. With that in mind, I only went up one size to 265/65/18. So far no issues. The ESP is less intrusive than my 4runner trail edition with bfg ko2s, so I'm happy.

I was sad to discover that you can't lock the diffs without being in 4-lo, which I had read was changed for 2015, but it turns out that is 2016+?

Which shops did you talk to? I normally talk with the Park Place Mercedes guys here in Texas. Wonder what those program charts were we had seen..? Surely there IS a way to do that.
But yes, same with my G. Only works in 4LO.. Can you imagine how wild the trails would be in 4HI with the locks on!? You could blaze the trails..

jacksond

Here's a little updated..
Got a light bar installed atop my Gobi Rack. Fits like a charm. Didn't want to mess up any electronics so I called my Mercedes dealer and they referred me to a custom auto shop that they send all of their aftermarket work to. I'm very happy with the work they did!
The light bar is a spot flood combo. It shines very bright straight down the road but isn't quite as helpful during turns.. Good for going down a trail but will need some spots for looking to the sides. Maybe a couple cube lights around the hood to fix this issue?? :)

Let me know what you guys think!
lb.jpg
gj.jpg

Also thinking about removing side steps next :clapping:

otiswesty

Regular guy
I would bet you could "fix" the lockers so that they are useable in high range like the earlier models.

We have unlocked our locker switch pack already so that the front can be locked before the rear if desired. Just a matter of bypassing a ground in the switch pack.

AdventureTim

Hi Peter, can you provide some detailed pictures? I also have a 2015 and am very interested in this also.

Me too! I'm looking at pulling the trigger on a 2013 G550 and would love to know if a winch and uprated front bar is possible, while retaining parking and cruise sensors.

jackajm

Where did you get your lightbar installed? I have a 2003 G500 that has a roof rack and is in need of one.

By the way, I go to school at TCU and have noticed your vehicle parked near my dorm before. Looks good!

zETH4I0aQqG4UEInysW4Zw.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles