2014 Toyota Tundra SR5 Build

ricoisme26

Great looking truck! I really like the 4.6 motor glad to see the mileage with it and the tires/lift is pretty good. I'd be happy to consitently get those numbers in my 2012 f150 with the 5.0 on stock tires no lift. Then again with 120k odd miles now, probably due for some maintenance like yours was maybe that could boost mpg.

I'm less than two hours away from Green Ridge, up in PA, I'll add it to my list of places to get out and explore!

RedSun

Great looking truck! I really like the 4.6 motor glad to see the mileage with it and the tires/lift is pretty good. I'd be happy to consitently get those numbers in my 2012 f150 with the 5.0 on stock tires no lift. Then again with 120k odd miles now, probably due for some maintenance like yours was maybe that could boost mpg.

I'm less than two hours away from Green Ridge, up in PA, I'll add it to my list of places to get out and explore!

Thanks! I love the 4.6. I don't tow much and when i do it meets my needs, otherwise the mpg is worth the downgrade of power from a 5.7. I definitely suggest some maintenance items like spark plugs, tire pressure, alignment etc. They're all small changes that can add up to a fairly noticeable amount at the pump, especially with prices now. I can't say enough good about GreenRidge, you won't be disappointed!

Finally got into making brackets and wiring the lights into the bumper today. Started with swapping out the bezels on the SS3’s with the traditional square bezels so that it would sit flush in the bumper.

8AFDF13F-08E9-42E0-985D-E5512346D417.jpg

I forgot to take pictures of the fog light brackets I made from flat stock but also made these for the S8 bar out of the existing bracket.

6BA90D5C-86C7-4D94-A81D-3B33FE921FC6.jpg

Mocked everything up and started mounting everything. Unfortunately I had a tree fall right infront of my shop so I wasn’t able to work on the Tundra in there as I was still splitting logs and clearing the area. But the mobile setup worked out.

70A0D6FF-126B-4B63-BE97-3F7B47778CE9.jpg

Got all the wiring sorted, it’s a bit of a mess now and temporary until I get a fuse block and organize everything. I also installed another Cali Raised OEM style switch. I love how factory these look.

BB1C73D9-8956-4ACB-84AF-E0A89AD5C8F4.jpg

Tested everything and then mounted the bumper. Very happy with the look.

BFA59D5A-B115-458D-ACE2-0CC45B57D248.jpg

EEA64A2B-0414-40AA-8164-F4A66693A474.jpg

FBF016E7-F777-43F0-8453-1B297806C396.jpg

The output is insane. With the bar, fogs, and ditch lights on there’s about 32000 lumens of output, in addition to however much the OEM LED headlights put out. This was in broad daylight but I’m going to get some shots at night as well.

D20373A9-D2F7-452E-8FE1-2257C3CD698D.jpg

RedSun

Got the first camping trip in the books for the year.

Started off with 65 and sunny. Found a somewhat open site with some great spots for my hammock.

2378D446-405D-4277-9ABC-9F4F10D31C11.jpg

My dog was enjoying it.

C150778C-D02A-4CB1-BC8C-3CFA41AFDB5B.jpg

Drove a lot of trails and found many beautiful spots that I pin and save for later as a potential camp site.

2AF0D790-74C1-448B-AC09-FE0162D8FFE7.jpg

89CEB226-0DFE-4FEC-919B-EC7F2B6301DC.jpg

625CD6A6-0BC4-47E5-A837-0FB83053DF64.jpg

0B80AE26-FD56-473F-8561-D5406C76279D.jpg

Then the snow came. Forecasted for rain but the temperature dropped enough that it started to really come down.

11F8266B-ACE8-4476-9B07-44BDFF87A6F5.jpg

The awning came in handy and with a fire we had a nice breakfast watching the snow fall. This was about 15 minutes after the previous pic.

AEB7C912-B8F0-4C4D-AA46-4740D6075A8B.jpg

After breakfast we packed up and headed out. Explored many trails on the way out.
7E7FD1AD-77C4-4791-848C-B9D63F097903.jpg

Last edited:

RedSun

Did some camping the last couple of days. Truck did great as always.

Explored a lot of trails, always happy with how this barebones OME suspension does so well for my needs.

IMG_6500.jpg

IMG_6497.jpg

IMG_6501.jpg

Set up camp at this site the first 2 nights by the water.

IMG_6680.jpg

Did a lot of fishing and a lot of cooking.

IMG_6581.jpg

My dog was having a great time.

IMG_6517.jpg

Weather was perfect, good spot for hammocking as well.

IMG_6661.jpg

Did some more exploring and switched to another site for the next 3 days.

IMG_6643.jpg

Most of the trails are similar to fireroads. Unfortunately some of my favorite 4x4 spots have since been leveled and had gravel laid down.

IMG_6638.jpg

Still need to get my winch installed. I was going to do it prior to this trip but realized that the power steering cooler relocation that Coastal Offroad recommended for this bumper would interfere with my winch. So i'll likely need to replace/relocate it to fit this winch.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I’m now in the process of making a deal on a ‘19 Crewmax Platinum. You’re running 2.5” of lift on 295s, correct? How much in the rear? 1.5”? I’m looking at a 3” front and 1.5” rear with 285s if it comes together. Your build has me excited about the outcome if I get the deal to go the way I want.

RedSun

I’m now in the process of making a deal on a ‘19 Crewmax Platinum. You’re running 2.5” of lift on 295s, correct? How much in the rear? 1.5”? I’m looking at a 3” front and 1.5” rear with 285s if it comes together. Your build has me excited about the outcome if I get the deal to go the way I want.

It's about a 3" lift on 295's and 1.5" in the rear. That should look great with 285's as well, not sure if you'd still need a spacer or not though. I hope you get that Platinum. They really are great trucks. Very nice garage you've got there in your signature too.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Thanks for the reply (and complimen) It’s looking good for the Platinum. I’m leasing it for tax reasons and the lease apparently has some “strict” terms. If keeping it stock is one of them, I may pass. I can’t keep anything stock. I’ll find out this morning what the deal is.

I’m on 285/75R18 with a 2” lift up front. They fit great. I get a bit of rub when off camber, but I didn’t trim or do a CMC. I did remove those little flaps in front of the front wheels.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
What offset are your wheels? I’m going to run some factory 18x8s off a Sequoia. I don’t mind doing some minor shaping of the plastic, but would prefer to avoid any major chopping. I’m guessing I may need a set of spacers up front. I’ll consider aftermarket wheels at some point, but am going to see how heinous the rub is first. The truck has Toyo ATs on it now, so if I have to put the 20s back on for a bit I can do that and still leave the pavement at least.

RedSun

What offset are your wheels? I’m going to run some factory 18x8s off a Sequoia. I don’t mind doing some minor shaping of the plastic, but would prefer to avoid any major chopping. I’m guessing I may need a set of spacers up front. I’ll consider aftermarket wheels at some point, but am going to see how heinous the rub is first. The truck has Toyo ATs on it now, so if I have to put the 20s back on for a bit I can do that and still leave the pavement at least.

These are the factory TRD Off Road wheels which are +60 offset. I had to run a 1.25" spacer to clear the stock UCA. In addition i had to pull off the front mudflaps and trim the edge of the fender liner just a tad. It wasnt bad at all and now i have zero rub.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Well, that’s what I experienced too! I ended up getting the ‘19 and found it has Bilstein 5100s in the front, but on the lower setting, so I popped them out and put them in the 2.5” position, and put a 1.5” lift and Timbrens in the rear. It’s currently on 35-12.50s on factory Sequoia wheels with 1.25” spacers, but I found a deal on a set of Fuel wheels in the correct offset for my 35s. Thanks for all the input. I’m really liking the truck! I did find a 2014 as well, with only 25,000 on it, but it was too old for the lease I need. Mine just turned 60,000.

RedSun

Well, that’s what I experienced too! I ended up getting the ‘19 and found it has Bilstein 5100s in the front, but on the lower setting, so I popped them out and put them in the 2.5” position, and put a 1.5” lift and Timbrens in the rear. It’s currently on 35-12.50s on factory Sequoia wheels with 1.25” spacers, but I found a deal on a set of Fuel wheels in the correct offset for my 35s. Thanks for all the input. I’m really liking the truck! I did find a 2014 as well, with only 25,000 on it, but it was too old for the lease I need. Mine just turned 60,000.

Wow beautiful truck! Looks really clean with the colormatched bumper too. I love those wheels. With the tires and spacers the stance is perfect. Would love to see how it looks with the Fuels mounted too.

So I finally got around to setting a day aside to install the winch. This started with relocating the power steering cooler. Unfortunately the relocation suggested by Coastal Offroad that I did using their included brackets in my bumper build was still not enough to clear a winch. This meant running an aftermarket cooler. So iI started pulling apart the front end. Between the annoying TRD skid plate and the weight of this bumper, its my least favorite thing to do on this truck. Had my supervisor with me who decided to lay in the grass and watch me struggle instead.

unnamed (7).jpg

So I started with this Hayden 679 trans cooler. Good quality unit that was a large enough size to replicate and improve upon the stock cooler.

unnamed.jpg

unnamed (2).jpg

You can see the stock cooler hanging below the mounting points in this shot. I had already taken the Coastal steel relocation brackets off. This would directly interfere with the winch.

unnamed (1).jpg

To mount the cooler I used JohnLakeman's extremely helpful transmission cooler guide on the Tundra Forums that can be found here. His brackets were perfect for mounting this cooler securely. I plan on adding a transmission cooler eventually as well on the other side. Started with forming the main bracket out of 1" flat stock that I measured, bent, and painted.

unnamed (3).jpg

Deviated from his instructions a bit of using steel sheet and just used the extra flat stock to make the brackets that would then hold the other side of the cooler to the hood latch support.

unnamed (4).jpg

Then came drilling the holes into the truck to mount the brackets. The holes were drilled and i subsequently painted the exposed edges to avoid rust. This is where I made an idiotic mistake. I used my level against the flat stock bar to mark where to drill the upper hole in the truck. However i forgot that the truck itself was not level where I parked it. As a result, it came out slightly crooked. Does not actually matter and its hidden by my grill but it still made me feel like an absolute idiot. I then routed some 3/8" hose and added some hose clamps and it was done. Topped off the reservoir with some Valvoline ATF, bled the system, and everything was solid. Very happy with how it came out otherwise.

unnamed (5).jpg

Now with that relocated I could move on to the winch install. I bought this winch almost 6 months ago for a steal, an Engo 10000lb synthetic line winch. I was not originally looking at Engos but they have a good reputation as a small company and back up their products well so I trusted them. Winch looks to be good quality with good weatherproofing but we'll see how it actually does.

unnamed (6).jpg

Obviously needed to relocate the control box. This was a bit of a dilemma. It would be easy to put it behind the grill but then it wouldn't be easily accessible to plug in the remote. Under the hood would be a pain between needed to buy all new wire and open the hood every single time I needed to run the winch. So I placed it next to the winch where it was accessible from the front and at an angle so that the cord when plugged in would not be under any pressure or stress that would cause premature wear. I drilled some holes and then mounted the control box. I'm still not totally sold on the location, some feedback would be great.

unnamed (8).jpg

I used dielectric grease over every contact and edges of the cable sleeves for added protection. I'm wondering if I should seal the control box with silicone as well despite the actual solenoids being weatherproof inside.
Otherwise I got the bumper mounted and also mounted my custom fairlead.

unnamed (9).jpg

I had this made by a guy on Etsy who CNC'd the TRD logo for me. Trying to add an "OEM+" look. Also added a Factor 55 Prolink. Happy with the look and the winch functions great. The winch remote plugs in easily and is easily accessible. The winch clutch is also easily accessible through the opposite access hole in the bumper as well. While i'm happy with it, i'm contemplating a Factor 55 Flatlink instead now. I like the Prolink but it does stick out a bit more than i'd like. Otherwise I plan on painting the "TRD" letters red too.

unnamed (10).jpg

My next plans are to tackle the absolute mess of wiring under the hood. This includes wiring in a winch power disconnect switch and adding a fuse block to better manage all of my accessories. I purchased a bunch of Blue Sea Systems parts that i'm piecing together for this and will also be fabricating some brackets.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
In addition i had to pull off the front mudflaps and trim the edge of the fender liner just a tad. It wasnt bad at all and now i have zero rub.

Any updates with your truck?

I bought the Fuel wheels with 35” Toyos on them, but the seller was a lying jerk. He said he had no rub and that they only put the tires 1/2” or so outside the fenders on his Tundra. On mine (same amount of lift) the rub is heinous and they poke over 1”, closing in on 1.5”.

My wife hit black ice doing 60 and hit a tree with the p-side of the truck. She was unhurt, and the truck wasn’t too bad, but when pulling it out, the tow guy managed to hook the front bumper on a wire fence and messed it up. Insurance will cover all the damages, and it sounds like I can buy a proper bumper instead of just getting more plastic. I’m looking at the Coastal bumper, but thinking of getting the full tubing they offer. There are tons of deer hit where I live, so full coverage is a must. I love the look of yours, and hope the full tubing can be made to look good too.

Is there enough clearance to keep the bars away from the body? When you built it, could you have spaced the bumper a bit further out from the mounting plate?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste