2015/2016 New 3rd gen Tacoma Debut in Detriot

TwoTrack

Buy Once, Cry Once
I think cosmetically it will be a smaller version of the latest Tundra...it will definitely be interesting.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
SSF from all the auto blogger stuff I think your approach and take is exactly what were going to see, unless Toyota is yanking everyones chain big time, which I highly doubt. As mentioned by a few sites most people will just buy a used Tacoma possibly with some mods already and have a better truck at half the price if whats being leaked is what the auto blogger nuts have sorted out as just lipstick on the old truck.

I guess it all depends what one wants to call an “all-new” truck. We all know the new Taco will have a new body, new interior and 99.9% chance it will have a new direct injected gasoline powertrain to help with fuel economy. My guess, it is the same engine as the 4Runner. You can just about count on any new infotainment gadgetry being added as well. So what does that leave that could be a carry over from the current Taco? An older chassis…. Big deal. The Taco already has a great chassis so there is no need to mess with that formula. In fact, outside of a body that people are tired of looking at and an interior that could use updating I really don’t see what the Colorado/Canyon really has over the current Taco other than settles the diesel need for those that believe in the diesel gods.

Look at the new 2014 Silverado/Sierra. That is considered an all-new truck but in reality it is a new body, new interior, new engine, a new ½ ton rear axle on a carry-over frame from the 2007-2013 GMT900 half tons. That is still an all new truck in my opinion. The 1997 to current Ford Stupid Duty comes to mind when one mentions new lipstick on an old wh0re.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Larry my take is that if the existing frame is reused then load capacity does not change, and that will be a big negative when GM and Nissan have midsized rigs posting old Tundra like capacity numbers.

For the record I've had 3 Toyota trucks since the 90s and have one now. Im simply stating everything I have read points to very minor stuff and its not expected to be a big hoopla deal when all the details actually surface.

Clutch

<---Pass
View attachment 260454

Found this on Tacoma World. I like what I see!

bfd88dcf35261034f6d9f8b57171fa98ecda9d1c17e6ea3007eca2563e2e58d3.jpg

Clutch

<---Pass
I do think its going to be facinating to see how the mid size game plays out. GM not going full monty and launching the Diesel version and doing what seems like a very weak and poor promotion of the Canyon and Colorado seems to have bit them in the ***** regarding the Auto reviewer blogs. The ground up design and being the first major midsize effort in a decade should have had far more Buzz and effort from GM.

Yeah..GM should of hit the floor running, bad move for not releasing diesel like "right now!!!", guys have been clamoring for a small diesel for years.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Larry my take is that if the existing frame is reused then load capacity does not change, and that will be a big negative when GM and Nissan have midsized rigs posting old Tundra like capacity numbers.

Well, not necessarily. There is a lot that goes into GVWR, GCWR and payload formula than just the frame or driveline components (axles, brakes) themselves. The weakest link in the system, which could be something as simple as the engine cooling package, park pawl in the trans, FMVSS certificates, noise tests, etc., could prevent higher load and towing capacities. Sometimes increasing load/towing capacities are simply handled on paper and paying for the FMVSS certificates without making a single change to a vehicle. For example, I work for a manufacturer and we have a couple products where the same exact vehicle is rated on paper as a 19,500 GVWR and a 25,999 GVWR on paper as well as derated to a 16,500 GVWR. The actual products are identical right down to spring packs and brakes, it’s all in paying for the certifications to play in those certified ranges. Things aren’t much different with little trucks where you don't always have to make major changes to make a significant changes in ratings but time will tell. We'll know all about the new Tacos in short time.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
True except you cant have your small truck posting numbers that nearly match your big truck. Tundra flexy frame wont be up for a simple recertification with bigger numbers. Toyota has a little bit of an issue in several model ranges were the products are far to similar. They'll have some interesting decisions to make when they find people are more open to non toyota branded products.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
True except you cant have your small truck posting numbers that nearly match your big truck. Tundra flexy frame wont be up for a simple recertification with bigger numbers. Toyota has a little bit of an issue in several model ranges were the products are far to similar. They'll have some interesting decisions to make when they find people are more open to non toyota branded products.

I guess we'll see what they have to show us at the Detroit Auto Show. Should be interesting to see what the new Tacoma and Titan are all about.

austintaco

Explorer
When I think about getting a new rig, putting aside the modifications that I have done, I ask myself what am I going to gain, or what do I want my current truck to do better. For me, and my 03 DC, it's better fuel economy and better range, maybe more power or the delivery of that power. I think the new Tacoma will satisfy both of those requests. Though the diesel might be sexier, more efficiency and power from a gas engine will do just fine for most, including me.
Will I trade in? Probably not, but I will wait to see what really rolls down the floor at the auto show.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Toyota pumped billion plus into the hybrid game. It will not bring diesel to the US unless its sales tank due to competiors offering mor interesting product. DI gas is all your going to see from Toyota for at least another 5yrs in the US market.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Toyota pumped billion plus into the hybrid game. It will not bring diesel to the US unless its sales tank due to competiors offering mor interesting product. DI gas is all your going to see from Toyota for at least another 5yrs in the US market.

And that would be just fine by me. Nothing wrong with DI gas, or even sequentially injected gas. Diesel is a good way to waste a bunch of money.... now, then and later. I work with new diesels every day and would not own one, except maybe an old 5.9 or 6.2/6.5 in a beater rig. There won't be any shortage of fools to buy a diesel Colorado or Titan but we'll see how far that fan fair goes. There is already a surge in people trading in their diesel HD trucks for smaller gas 1/2 ton trucks once they realized how much the big diesels cost to maintain, especially when that warranty runs out. A $5000+ injector or turbo repair is a tough nut to swallow for anybodies budget. You can sure buy a lot of gas for the cost of diesel ownership. The days of diesels being the long term reliable engine are long gone. The only way to own a modern diesel is to least it, flog it and give it back at the end of the term just like a German luxury car and let some other sucker deal with the problems that creep up with age.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
Those spy shots look great, pretty excited to see what they have coming, but I agree it will be on par with the 2014 4runner.

Overlanerd

Vagabond Outdoors
Many of the things I wish my Tacoma had will probably not be included with the new Tacoma:

• Fully boxed frame
  • 4:1 low range gearing
  • Shorter hood/ move the cab forward for better off road visibility on inclines. Use the extra length for a slightly longer bed in the DCSB or rear leg room.
  • Electric swaybar disconnects (like the Power Wagon)
  • Bigger gas tank
  • Swing-out tailgate (like the Ridgeline)
  • 4 cylinder turbo diesel
This doesn't really appeal to the mass markets. There were 160K Tacomas sold in the US last year. There are only a few thousand of us that want this stuff.
Things I want that they may offer:
  • Electric or manual adjustable seats (like the 4th gen 4Runners)
  • Retractable rear window (like the Tundra)
Things that I hope won't happen:
  • Longer wheel base for the DCSB
  • Crappier mileage
  • Only offered with big (>17") rims
It really doesn't matter- without the manual transmission offered, I'm out. Better start saving for an ICON FJ45 to replace my Tacoma when its time...

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
On your list I'd go with the larger fuel tank and diesel. None of the other stuff interests me, I simply don't care. Toyota has never offered a 4:1 t-case and honestly I had a 4.7:1 Marlin that I replaced with a stock gearing because having those ratios is useful, at least more useful I find that not having them. The uber low gearing is only useful for crawling but I use my truck in other ways. And my truck has a 22R-E, so the low gearing is actually quite useful in the rocks. A 1GR has the power to deal with higher gearing.

Stuff like electrical sway bars, electric seats, electric rear window are things I /really/ do NOT want in my truck. I am weighing replacing my '91 with a new(er) Taco and it already irritates me that I'd be stuck with power windows, that stupid key fob thing, back up cameras and all that. I want something that's going to be with me 20+ years like my old truck and I figure all that crap is going to fail me long before the 1GR and the rest of the proven drivetrain.

I am not even that worried about a C-channel frame, but I do know the 1st gen Taco frame could fail so I'm of the opinion that a full box frame would be nice. But I thought Toyota beefed up the 2nd gen Taco frame, which is really the point. An open channel doesn't have to be weak, i.e. semi trucks, and can have the advantage of being able to be cleaned out to prevent rust. So in my mind it's not an absolute.

Vinyl floor, white, manual stuff. That's what I want.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior