2015 F250 Gasser, week points

freedrive

Any real week points of the 3rd generation SuperDuty 6.2L gas trucks, that need addressing before light multi-day back-country exploration and camping? I don't plan to rock climb or go where others never have, but I won't be afraid of a few feet of water, 4-5 days away from civilization, dirt, sand, rocks, mud, etc. I won't buy bling just for bling, but am not afraid to invest in reliability and safety.

Truck is basically stock, and will be throwing a spacekap or cap on until I find or build something more substantial. Probably a month total of travel from east coast to CO, UT, WY, with 3-5 days at a time off grid.

I'm fairly aware of the generic stuff I'll need, just looking for 3rd gen F250 gas engine'd specific issues.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Nope. Real solid truck. Body rust was the only downside to my 2008.

Lifts over 3" need exhaust mods or skinny drive shaft. Cut the crossover brace and realign the down tube. Remove the springs and work the suspension up to check. Bds is my favorite gas lift kit. Opt for the cheap shocks, get Kings later.

Don't back your exhaust into things, or it'll leak at the headers like a Gm 6.0.

Lube the front hubs and operate 4wd as often as possible, anytime you're going straight, to loosen it up.

Keep a spare starter handy and the tools to swap it.

You can adjust the sector gear to tighten up the steering, it loosens up with age. Make sure you have plenty of caster. More than the oem limits.

You can't spend too much on damping. Custom shocks with tons of rear rebound damping are nice.

Adjustable trac bars are nice. Jury is out who has the best one. Trac bars need to be in new condition and you need a huge wrench 20 feet long to torque the truck side bolt. Torque to complete retard strength.

I think 35's fit stock on a 18x9, +18mm, wheel. The obama sensors suck. I just put tape over that idiot light.

Don't fear the gear. 4.56-4.88 are great with bigger tires. Detroit or Yukon locker front, selectable rear, is my hot setup for big Fords now. The front axle is so locker friendly, it's a shame not to.

Last edited:

Explorerinil

Observer
As part of my job I manage a fleet of ford vehicles, I talk to the maintenance guy for the road crew fleet, the 6.2 ford has been problem free truck for them. If I were to buy a ford, it would be an f350 with the 6.2.

I hear ford might be coming up with a 7.0, you might want to wait for that.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
There might be a small block 7.0, but the pistons I held in my hands were for a 7.3 assuming that the predictable short stroke is predictably short.

Rumor mill says it's a push rod big block 7.3. We're already building 455's based on the 6.2, so the 6.2 based 7.0 is plausible. But the big truck engine is going to be 7.3l. Tuned port injector AND direct injector. 2 big valves per cylinder. Bigger valves than Gm's 8.8l engine.

Almost forgot the alternator. I carry a spare alt and belt.

Last edited:

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Never go to quicky lube. They put 5w20 in 6.2's.

It's a 5w30, 10w30(extreme heat) engine.

kodiak-black

Observer
Nope. Real solid truck. Body rust was the only downside to my 2008.

Lifts over 3" need exhaust mods or skinny drive shaft. Cut the crossover brace and realign the down tube. Remove the springs and work the suspension up to check. Bds is my favorite gas lift kit. Opt for the cheap shocks, get Kings later.

Don't back your exhaust into things, or it'll leak at the headers like a Gm 6.0.

Lube the front hubs and operate 4wd as often as possible, anytime you're going straight, to loosen it up.

Keep a spare starter handy and the tools to swap it.

You can adjust the sector gear to tighten up the steering, it loosens up with age. Make sure you have plenty of caster. More than the oem limits.

You can't spend too much on damping. Custom shocks with tons of rear rebound damping are nice.

Adjustable trac bars are nice. Jury is out who has the best one. Trac bars need to be in new condition and you need a huge wrench 20 feet long to torque the truck side bolt. Torque to complete retard strength.

I think 35's fit stock on a 18x9, +18mm, wheel. The obama sensors suck. I just put tape over that idiot light.

Don't fear the gear. 4.56-4.88 are great with bigger tires. Detroit or Yukon locker front, selectable rear, is my hot setup for big Fords now. The front axle is so locker friendly, it's a shame not to.

What makes the front axle so locker friendly?

Thanks

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
The Dana Super 60 is the beefiest front axle in any truck or SUV sold today. Great axle donors for rock buggies and jeeps. Freespin kit is already on the axle. Warn hubs are less than $300. High pinion. Yukon, ARB, Detroit lockers available. Thick fabbed covers are everywhere. Hy steer? No problem.

Go ahead and add a locker, no worries, the axle can handle it. It's one of the biggest reasons I chose Ford last year, over Dodge. No worries about breaking a 60 knuckle, the ball joints will obviously go first. The knuckles have enough steel in them to build an entire Honda.

100_1638-1.jpg

Last edited:

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
We know. But it's 5w30. Was never actually 5 20.

Ford/Honda: ''Can we run 5 20 For better eco and epa #'s?''
Engineer/yes man: ''Sure, and that'll work, but the engine is designed for 5 30.''

When they changed the modular engines to thinner oils, zero parts were changed.
When they changed the 6.2 back to thicker oils, yep, zero parts were changed.

Keep in mind, the new 6.2 has but 2 oddities.
-hyd valve lash adjusters are up on the rockers, not in the head anymore
-valves are so huge that a spark plug won't fit between them, and each cylinder has two plugs to make up for that.

Last edited:

Wallygator

Adventurer
There might be a small block 7.0, but the pistons I held in my hands were for a 7.3 assuming that the predictable short stroke is predictably short.

Rumor mill says it's a push rod big block 7.3. We're already building 455's based on the 6.2, so the 6.2 based 7.0 is plausible. But the big truck engine is going to be 7.3l. Tuned port injector AND direct injector. 2 big valves per cylinder. Bigger valves than Gm's 8.8l engine.

Almost forgot the alternator. I carry a spare alt and belt.

When you say "big truck", are you saying F350 big or bigger??? Thanks for your insight

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior