2015 GMC Canyon

grandpa

That looks great. I see you also mounted the front roof rack. Did you have any problems drilling the mounting holes?

deadly99

Explorer
That looks great. I see you also mounted the front roof rack. Did you have any problems drilling the mounting holes?

Thanks. Drilling the holes was easy enough as were the rivnuts. Measured a hundred times before dilling, lol.

Bending the aluminum track to fit the roof was a huge pita. Ended up using a thicker rubber under the rails to compensate for a less than perfect fit. Frustrating but it worked out in the end. Would have been nice if they were pre bent (the rails) but I understand it was a generic kit I bought. Had a terrible runble sound until i put the wind deflector on, which eliminated it. I have a whistle between 40 and 60 km/h that I will track down sometime this week. I figure use painters tape and one by one seal off some of the slots I suspect are creating the sound. Once identified I'll fill the slot(s) with expanding foam or something

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Thanks. Drilling the holes was easy enough as were the rivnuts. Measured a hundred times before dilling, lol.

Bending the aluminum track to fit the roof was a huge pita. Ended up using a thicker rubber under the rails to compensate for a less than perfect fit. Frustrating but it worked out in the end. Would have been nice if they were pre bent (the rails) but I understand it was a generic kit I bought. Had a terrible runble sound until i put the wind deflector on, which eliminated it. I have a whistle between 40 and 60 km/h that I will track down sometime this week. I figure use painters tape and one by one seal off some of the slots I suspect are creating the sound. Once identified I'll fill the slot(s) with expanding foam or something
If the rubber pads have some wiggle room. They can essentially flap in the breeze its a common problem with a few different brands and roof racks. A pea sized drop of gasket sealer on the loose rubber will stop the flapping. Oh and it is really loud as the rubber drums on the roof.
The multiple slats on the rack can create turbulent air drone especially multiple cross slats. Try taking a 1/8 in rope and wrapping it around each cross slat so you have about 5 wraps across its length. The idea here is your disrupting the air flow just enough to interupt the flow creating the drone sound. Its a similar idea to adding a couple of twists to rachet straps to cut down on them vibrating in the air flow.

colokevin

I'm planning on installing a Front Runner front rack just like you did. Do you have any photos from the install? Can you take a close-up of how the tracks mount to the roof? How tall is the rack above the roof at the tallest point? Too bad it can't just bolt up to the rain gutter like on a Taco.

deadly99

Explorer
If the rubber pads have some wiggle room. They can essentially flap in the breeze its a common problem with a few different brands and roof racks. A pea sized drop of gasket sealer on the loose rubber will stop the flapping. Oh and it is really loud as the rubber drums on the roof.
The multiple slats on the rack can create turbulent air drone especially multiple cross slats. Try taking a 1/8 in rope and wrapping it around each cross slat so you have about 5 wraps across its length. The idea here is your disrupting the air flow just enough to interupt the flow creating the drone sound. Its a similar idea to adding a couple of twists to rachet straps to cut down on them vibrating in the air flow.

The wind deflector solved the drone noise 100%. Just a whistle left to solve...I'll find it as I have a bit of an obsessive type of personality ;)

deadly99

Explorer
Sorry I didn't take any photos...but here is how I can best describe it.

I cut the aluminum runners, about a 1/4 inch from the holes on each end of each runner.

I measured 4.5 inches from the windshield to the center of the first hole. There is a cross member in the roof that needs to be avoided (Bryan from frontrunner gave me that tip).

I have about a 1/2 inch between the rain gutter and the runner.

You need to bend the runner to fit the contours of the roof. This is a pain and takes some time. I used a table vice and did a fair amount of bending, putting on roof, bending again, back on roof, etc. The closer you can get the runners to fit the roof the better. Take your time and ensure they fit like a glove. I ditched the rubber they provided and used thicker rubber (from an exercise rubber matt I found at a local fitness store as I couldnt get the bend 100% so the thicker rubber fills the thin gap I couldnt get rid of in a couple of spots)

I put painters tape on the roof where I wanted the runners to go. Put the runner on the tape and marked off the holes where the drilling needs to happen.

I used a very small drill bit to get a center hole. Then a second bit to make it a bit larger. Then the third bit was the desired size. Doing it steps prevented the roof metal from twisting. I used my hand on the drill to ensure I didnt push threw the roof liner (if that makes sense).

The rivnuts were straight forward, I used a bunch of silicon on them just before inserting them into the roof to ensure a leak proof seal.

After that it was just putting the rack together and mounting it.

I'll take some photos once it stops raining here. I only used two mounts on each side instead of three that were provided, this enabled it to sit quite low.

Cheers
Ted

deadly99

Explorer
Added a 270 degree awning and a lightbar to the front of the roof rack

tyty.jpg

hyhy.jpg

deadly99

Explorer
Some spring time trail driving, slick and fun in the backcountry this time of year

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Testing out the new awining, I think I'll get some good use from it.

8.jpg

9.jpg

deadly99

Explorer
Different day, same place. I only put the spare on when I am heading backcountry. Takes all of three minutes. That day I guess I saved three minutes in the race to get out of the city :)

colokevin

If you could measure how tall the rack is above the highest part of the truck roof, that would be awesome. I'd like to do the same rack as you, but may have some clearance issues to resolve first. I appreciate the help.

deadly99

Explorer
If you could measure how tall the rack is above the highest part of the truck roof, that would be awesome. I'd like to do the same rack as you, but may have some clearance issues to resolve first. I appreciate the help.

Sorry for the late response. Will measure tonight. My guess is 2-3 inches below the height of the antennae

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior