2015 GMC Canyon

deadly99

Explorer
I've had Leer, Snug Top, and now Arrow. The Leer is superior in quality and fit in my opinion.

Thanks.

Still waiting to hear if they can make the config I requested. Almost 40% less in price than the Leer or A.R.E quotes I received. Some Google Kung **** displays the regular internet stuff (people always seems to like what they have purchased).

I'll be putting a rtt on it...so was hoping someone would have first hand knowledge.

First world stresses :)

moabian

Added a 7 inch tablet. I use an app called Gaia for loading track files and maps. Works pretty slick. Can also watch movies or listen to tunes with the audio coming out of the trucks speakers

Android Auto will be available as a dealer-installed update in March...so hopefully many Android apps will transfer to the vehicle screen after the update. Mine came with Apple Carplay...but I don't do any iStuff. As for GPS mounting, I just ordered RAM Mount's new Seat Tough-Wedge with an extension arm to hold my Montana 600. It can also be configured to hold a tablet up closer to eye level.

I was happy to discover that the control head for the 100-watt mobile radio I use for Search & Rescue fit perfectly in the cubbyhole at the base of the dash. In my last few vehicles, I had to mount it on a big RAM Mount stalk over the console. The heavy duty mount bases attached to several seat bolts. It always seemed to be in the way but was very convenient. The RAM Mount held the radio, mic, and gps. I could almost open a RAM Mount store with leftover parts from the last few vehicles. I was wondering how to mount the Montana 600, until I saw the new Seat Tough-Wedge. It should be easily removable too when not using the GPS. I'll post photos once I receive it...hopefully next week. RAM also has a single pole that would mount to a single seat bolt and hold a tablet just about anywhere you might want it. I was looking for something less permanent for the Canyon.

Mobile radio control head mounted:

radio.jpg

Last edited:

deadly99

Explorer
Radio looks great there. I've been debating where to stick a cb. Likely it will end up in the console. Trying my best to keep the interior "classy" and not cluttered. I've been thinking of removing the sunglass holder and using that location to mount auxillary switches (compressor and lights). There is also that odd card holder slot (left of steering wheel)...been thinking that space will get put to use (dual battery display or something).

Next Wednesday I get some shop time. Icon front and rear shocks and an extra leaf spring. A dude is going to paint the wheels black the same day. $ for new wheels isn't there and powder coating becomes problematic as it leaves me without the truck for a few days as well as $. Painting wont even require removing the tires (so no balance required). Who knows how long it will hold up though.

Big50

Adventurer
The "Safari" class does not require a cage. It is a non timed class. Speaking with the lads organizing it, you leave after the others classes and run 1/2 to 2/3 of the route. This should put you into the bivouac around the same time as the other classes. Seems like a unique way to experience roadbook navigation, drive terrain I otherwise wouldnt get a chance to, see if its something I enjoy enough to take the plunge ($) for a race vehicle, etc

The bedrock worked really well. I didnt hold back and had moved issues (well one issue I ended up drilling holes in the rods and sticking bolts through them to prevent shifting). I'll snap a pick next time I'm in the shop.

That sounds great and really cool they offer that class. Very tempting...

That's great about the bedrock. I think I understand - you're referring to the screw they use to hole the rod in position. Sounds like you drilled a hole into the rod to allow the screw really hold it in place.

deadly99

Explorer
The truck is proving itself to be quite capable offroad. The AT tires leave something to be desired in the mud but that is to be expected.

b.jpg

Last edited:

trail-explorer

Adventurer
...k&n filters are pretty well known for letting a lot of dirt/dust through in dusty conditions.

Yep, and that's why I will never run a K&N again. Every once in a while I open one up at Wal-Mart, and they all have gaps in the guaze filter media - big enough that you can see the light through it.

Example:

holey%20KampN%20FIlter.jpg

moabian

The All-Terrain package adds different shocks, wheels, hill descent control, and a transfer case shield. There is no difference in the bed, body or stance. I considered that package but could not get it with anything other than black seats. I drove both the All-Terrain and an SLT before ordering mine and could not discern any difference in the suspension. I did order the transfer case shield with mine...but I'm not sure how well it would hold up to a hit. It is only connected at the front of the shield so it seems that it might bend rather easily. It does at least offer some protection for the all-too-vulnerable plug on the bottom of the transfer case.

And on another note, I just read that the Canyon is one of the finalists for Motor Trend's 2016 Truck of the Year.

moabian

Installed some swing cases today

It looks like you mounted your SwingCases a couple of inches higher than I did. I think I would have mounted them higher if I didn't have the tonneau cover on. Hopefully, Snugtop will have a shell for the short bed in the next month or two. The N-Fab sliders should be here in a week or so and the Aries bull bar will be here Thursday. Then I'll decide which light will go on it...hopefully a Rigid 20" E2 series will fit on the bar. I was hoping to mount the 30-incher I took off my Rubicon, but it was hard to figure out how to mount such a large, dual-row bar. I guess I'll sell that.

I grabbed a couple of snapshots on the way back from town this afternoon...and now it's snowing:

Swing1.jpg

Swing2.jpg

Cold.jpg

deadly99

Explorer
I mounted them as high as was possible. I'll be bed mounting a full size spare soon and wanted to ensure they would "swing over it". When it comes time to mount a cap I'll likely have to bolt it down as I am guessing the swing cases will interfere with clamps.

Your truck looks great btw

moabian

I looked at the several options N-Fab has for bed-mounting the spare. As much as I don't like it hanging so low under the vehicle, I think I'm going to have to live with it. Space is at a premium in the short bed and my 63-qt ARB lives there 365/24/7. I've been considering having a rack built that would mount to the bed rails and provide heavy-duty (i.e.: tire) storage on top of the shell. It would be similar to GM's Utility Rack for the Canyon but would be much heavier-duty and would have to be custom-built to fit around a camper shell...or "cap" as you Canadians apparently call it. As for shell/cap mounting, Snugtop uses "J-clamps" which don't appear to protrude much at all.

I'm glad I switched tires on the truck as soon as I bought it. The supposedly "all-terrain" tires that came on it would not have gotten me up my steep driveway this morning. I had 9 inches of very heavy snow last night. The snow is heavy enough that it might have ripped the front air dam off if I had not already removed it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior