2015 Ram 2500 Carli/Thuren Build W/Four Wheel Camper

Gibby56

Desert Rat
Looks good, any more pics of the truss? How did the install go?
Thank you! Here are some more pictures of the truss, sorry in advance about the crappy cell phone pictures. I had a local shop glue it on. I don't trust my cheap welder to get enough penetration on something like that. Thuren really put a lot of support around the CAD which is awesome. I also really liked the upper c gussets. The local shop really went above and beyond by filling in the voids on the brackets. I am extremely happy with the install.
87FRf0.jpg

87Fkqq.jpg

87F6YA.jpg

87FChM.jpg

87FQCQ.jpg

I haven't posted a picture of the bed supports before from Patton Fab but I love these things. Super easy to install and the cross brace has removable pins that make it easy to load and unload the bed. The driver side also has a mount for a flag or radio antenna. The benefit of these is it greatly reduces the chance of cracking the bedside posts or losing your tailgate when having fun off road.
87FEjD.jpg

chet6.7

Explorer
Nice,thanks for the pictures. I think a truss is a good idea.
How many hours did the shop bill you for the install? Does the diff. require an oil change after the welding process? Is there any reason you went with Thuren as opposed to Carli?
Thanks.

Gibby56

Desert Rat
Nice,thanks for the pictures. I think a truss is a good idea.
How many hours did the shop bill you for the install? Does the diff. require an oil change after the welding process? Is there any reason you went with Thuren as opposed to Carli?
Thanks.
Its hard to say what they would have billed, I got an incredible "hook up" price since I was their test dummy for the 14+ platform. I would imagine 5-10 hours depending on how detailed you would want it to be.

If you take your time and let things cool between passes the pumpkin shouldn't heat up enough to require a oil change.

I went with Thuren because it requires less welding and also because I didn't want to drop the truck off in So. Ca to have Carli put it on $$$$ . From my understanding Carli does each truss custom right now until the Dominator kit is released.

Gibby56

Desert Rat
I am working on retrofitting the factory aux switches into the truck and picked up my first accessory to run off of them.

I am planning on ditching the hitch carrier and KC Cyclone and use this as a dust light. Im going to use a rivet nut in the bed by the back window and bolt it directly to the rail. It looks like I will have enough room to mount the light and have it not hit the bed cover or the camper.

Gibby56

Desert Rat
Haven't had time to work too much on the Ram. Most of my days after work are spent finishing up a 1972 k10 Cheyenne and the weekends are spent on the house trying to get the yards done before the heat hits.

I have been working on the camper here and there in preparation for 3 upcoming trips this month. It needs a good cleaning again but it is pretty much able to be used. I received the roll over brackets from 4WC but haven't worked on the side couch/storage at all. The Queen bed up top is almost reupholstered.

I just put the Timbrens on the rear before loading the camper to get it out of the way of the yard work. Man are they awesome! No maintenance and they ride better than air bags in my opinion. I highly recommend them. Here's a before and after, with the ride height with the Timbrens on top

Gibby56

Desert Rat
They are a smoother ride cruising down the freeway, I dont feel like the back of the truck is floating, and no need to worry about lines starting to leak. Also, I feel a lot more confident heading into corners without the bags trying to equalize pressure.

They are super easy to install and take off too when there is no weight on the back. It took 10 mins total to put them on both sides

Gibby56

Desert Rat
We finally had our maiden voyage with the camper and man this thing is awesome. Its so light for the diesel, has a low CG, and with the suspension its easy to forget that it is back there.

My wife and I decided to keep the first trip somewhat local in case there were any issues. We camped at Henry Cowell just outside of Santa Cruz. The camp site was nice and convenient but nothing really to post about

The other nights were spent at Big Basin. Man, that place is gorgeous.
8bERAZ.jpg

Our second trip was to the family property in the Eastern Sierras Near Mono Lake. We were able to stay a decent amount of time with the holiday time for the 4th. I got to do some mild trails with the camper just to feel it out and I was surprised how nimble the truck was. I definitely feel confident with it on the truck now and am excited to hit some decent trails with the set up.
8bETQP.jpg

8bEk5i.jpg

8bEtuK.jpg

8bErmc.jpg

8bEQc2.jpg

8bE9Zv.jpg

ttengineer

Adventurer
Also, I have the retrofit for the factory aux switches figured out 100% now. Im going to work on a write up for those that might be interested.

What do you mean by retrofit? Did yours not come with the factory aux switches?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94