2016-2017 F150 4x4 EcoBoost - Real world experiences??

Cackalak Han

Explorer
If you want a fun truck with performance bordering on obnoxious, get the 3.5 and add a tune and new down pipes.... It will shock the hell out of you.

The 2.7 is quick, too. One I drove, I can’t say I felt much difference stock vs stock with the 3.5. If you don’t need the weight capacity, it’d be my pick.

D

Deleted member 9101

The 2.7 is quick, too. One I drove, I can’t say I felt much difference stock vs stock with the 3.5. If you don’t need the weight capacity, it’d be my pick.

Honestly, until you exceed the tow rating of the 2.7 there isn't a real difference between the two EcoBoost motors. The 2.7 is a better design and built better than the 3.5.

I have the 2.7 and it pulled my brothers 9k travel trailer with zero issues.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
What transmissions/final drive ratios are the 2.7 and 3.5 EB's coming with? 8 speed? 10 speed?

Seems like modern trucks have really "tall" final drives. Back in "the day" if you towed you had 3.73, minimum and 4.10 was better. But it seems like a lot of modern trucks have 3.5, 3.2 or even 2.9 final drives, which seems crazy to me but do they make up for the "tall" final drive by putting in extra "short" gears in the transmission? IOW a 2.9 final drive would work on a truck that is towing as long as the transmission had a 5:1 or 6:1 low gear to get it started, right?

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Valid point.

I know when I went from. Tampa Florida to Creede Colorado I felt my Tundra go from "peppy" to "is my e-brake still on." The only extra weight I had was very minimal camping gear in the bed and a sport bike on a 4x8 Harbor Freight trailer.
thats not true
I towed my fj60 on a trailer in the mountains of nevada and oregon and i never had an issue with power

D

Deleted member 9101

What transmissions/final drive ratios are the 2.7 and 3.5 EB's coming with? 8 speed? 10 speed?

Seems like modern trucks have really "tall" final drives. Back in "the day" if you towed you had 3.73, minimum and 4.10 was better. But it seems like a lot of modern trucks have 3.5, 3.2 or even 2.9 final drives, which seems crazy to me but do they make up for the "tall" final drive by putting in extra "short" gears in the transmission? IOW a 2.9 final drive would work on a truck that is towing as long as the transmission had a 5:1 or 6:1 low gear to get it started, right?

The new F150s come with a 10 speed. I have a 2017 so I have the 2.7, six speed, and 3.15 gears. It has no problems towing at it's max rating and never struggles to get a load moving.

The thing with the EcoBoost is it doesn't need to rev to make power like a naturally aspirated motor, so it isn't nearly as sensitive to gear ratios amd doesn't need anything like a 4.10.

Also "back in the day" trucks didn't make anywhere near the HP/TQ that they do today. My 2.7 has better HP/TQ than most big blocks that were put in trucks.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
The thing with the EcoBoost is it doesn't need to rev to make power like a naturally aspirated motor, so it isn't nearly as sensitive to gear ratios amd doesn't need anything like a 4.10.

Ah, I hadn't thought about that but it makes sense. The old "low gears needed to tow" notion was based on the assumption that the engine had to spin faster in order to produce the torque needed to pull. I guess having the turbo that produces max torque at a lower RPM pretty much removes the need for the low gearing.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
thats not true
I towed my fj60 on a trailer in the mountains of nevada and oregon and i never had an issue with power

Bro, I'm sure you didn't have a problem towing. That's not what @Jnich77 was saying. Driving at near sea level then going up mile high, you're going to feel it, especially in a naturally aspirated engine. Engine power relative to sea level, is going to be quite a bit down at mile high.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
The new F150s come with a 10 speed. I have a 2017 so I have the 2.7, six speed, and 3.15 gears. It has no problems towing at it's max rating and never struggles to get a load moving.

Also "back in the day" trucks didn't make anywhere near the HP/TQ that they do today. My 2.7 has better HP/TQ than most big blocks that were put in trucks.

Not only the power, but with the new 10-sp vs 4 or 5-sp transmissions in the older trucks, they can go much deeper in the first gear. i.e. 1998 F150 had a 3.90 (1st) and 2.24 (2nd). 2019 10-speed had 4.69 (1st) and 2.98 (2nd).

tacollie

Glamper
Bro, I'm sure you didn't have a problem towing. That's not what @Jnich77 was saying. Driving at near sea level then going up mile high, you're going to feel it, especially in a naturally aspirated engine. Engine power relative to sea level, is going to be quite a bit down at mile high.
Low altitude problems! We live at 6000 feet. I never thought trucks turned into dogs until 10000. It's why I would but Ecoboost if I was buying new. Plus turbos are fun!

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
Apparently not only the gas fords are the interest of overland community.
Some people are very happy with the new diesel f150.

You know, it’s a new engine here but well proven in overseas markets.

D

Deleted member 9101

Is the diesel still only available on the Lariat trim level? Makes for one expensive truck!

Nope... You can get it in an XLT now. Still an expensive truck by most peoples standards.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 9101

Apparently not only the gas fords are the interest of overland community.
Some people are very happy with the new diesel f150.

You know, it’s a new engine here but well proven in overseas markets.

Oh... No one is saying that it's a bad motor, rather its slow and not rated to pull the same loads that a 3.5 is.

Also, it was designed for a midsized SUV, not a full size truck... It's never going to offer any amount of performance when fully loaded.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Been watching some YouTube videos and I have to say the 2.7 EB is looking better and better for my next tow vehicle.

This one in particular was impressive to me because I drive that exact stretch of highway pulling a trailer 10 - 15 times every year. This is Eastbound I-70 from Silverthorne (el. 9,000') up to the top of Eisenhower Tunnel (11,000'). I'd be more impressed if they did Crow Hill on US 285 simply because unlike I-70, which has multiple lanes so you can maintain momentum, Crow Hill has a sharp 90 degree turn at the base which means that no matter what engine or transmission you have, you're starting at the bottom of a steep hill from a very slow speed with zero momentum. That's one of the hills where my 'Burb frequently downshifts all the way to 1st gear to get up to the top!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94