2016 Tacoma vs 2016 4Runner?

brody

Which one would you build up for an expedition vehicle and why?

I've read the resale value on the Tacoma is one of the best, which is a big consideration for me. I'm guessing the 4Runner might be better in serious off road for better departure angle. Any other thoughts?

camodog

Adventurer
I went through the same thoughts as you. Ultimately it came down to creature comforts (I already own a 2wd truck so I didn't need the bed) and that is where the 4Runner won the wife over.
You honestly can not go wrong with either one.

If you NEED the bed, get the Taco. If you don't, get the 4Runner. That's just my .02

chmura

Adventurer
2016 Tacoma is not proven yet. I glanced at tacomaworld and lots of people are having transmission issues when the engine is cold.

I would get a 4Runner before a new Tacoma.

forty2

Adventurer
It might have been a harder decision for me if the 4Runner still had a three pedal option. I'm 2k in on my '16 Tacoma with zero complaints. Well, no complaints that I didn't already resign myself to before buying anyway...

Seriously, I don't think you can go wrong with either one. They rank 1 and 2 at the top of KBB's current best projected resale list. If you aren't going to plan on keeping it for very long, it'll hold value well enough. They are similarly off road equipped (in similar trims), more gear in the Taco, better back seat in the 4Runner. I suggest you drive both.

Stifler

Observer
I went with the 4runner because I take my family and dog with me usually and I wanted to access gear while driving (well my passenger anyway). Comfort while driving the 4runner won out easily. With that said the utility of a truck bed would be nice

20DYNAMITE07

Just along for the ride
I have a 2015 4Runner which I absolutely adore. You really can't go wrong with it. But I will say, last summer my family and I were out camping and we got caught in a HUGE storm. We ended up breaking camp as our site was flooded out. I mention this because after the lightning stopped and I was out in the rain breaking camp, it sure would have been nice to toss everything into the bed of a truck all hibbity jibbity rather than having to thoughtfully pack everything back up while it was pouring.

Given the choice, I would likely go 4Runner again given my family situation, but I'd be thrilled to have a Taco too. Either is a win.

Dalko43

Explorer
40K is peanuts in the expedition portal world.

Considering that you can get full-sized pickups for that price, or lower, $40k isn't really peanuts. The pricing on some of these mid-sized pickup's and SUV's has gotten a little out of hand.

OP, 2 questions that you need to ask yourself:
1) Is your priority on carrying gear or carrying people? If gear, go with the Tacoma. If people, go with 4runner. Yes Tacoma has different cab options, but rear seats of a 4runner is the better place to be for long trips.
2) Do you hunt frequently? Fish? Outdoor activities that track in mud/dirt? If so, Tacoma makes more sense as you can just throw all the dirty/smelly stuff in the bed and not worry about it. You can get by with a 4runner, but a truck bed just makes that stuff so much more hassle free IMO.

Also, if you are going with a Tacoma, I would strongly recommend getting a mildly used one (pre-2016) to get a mild discount and get more options with how you modify it (supercharger, more established aftermarket).

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Considering that you can get full-sized pickups for that price, or lower, $40k isn't really peanuts. The pricing on some of these mid-sized pickup's and SUV's has gotten a little out of hand.

OP, 2 questions that you need to ask yourself:
1) Is your priority on carrying gear or carrying people? If gear, go with the Tacoma. If people, go with 4runner. Yes Tacoma has different cab options, but rear seats of a 4runner is the better place to be for long trips.
2) Do you hunt frequently? Fish? Outdoor activities that track in mud/dirt? If so, Tacoma makes more sense as you can just throw all the dirty/smelly stuff in the bed and not worry about it. You can get by with a 4runner, but a truck bed just makes that stuff so much more hassle free IMO.

Also, if you are going with a Tacoma, I would strongly recommend getting a mildly used one (pre-2016) to get a mild discount and get more options with how you modify it (supercharger, more established aftermarket).

I am talking about the Expo World...all vehicles...40K gets you in the door but then tires, suspension, interior mods yes there are a lot of vehicles on this site that are north of 40K....have you looked at used prices for your recommendation of pre 2016 Tacoma that does not have a rusted frame? Add a supercharger and money starts to add up.

MJCake1

I am talking about the Expo World...all vehicles...40K gets you in the door but then tires, suspension, interior mods yes there are a lot of vehicles on this site that are north of 40K....have you looked at used prices for your recommendation of pre 2016 Tacoma that does not have a rusted frame? Add a supercharger and money starts to add up.
Buy both 😄 be happy, can't go wrong.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94