2016 Tacoma vs 2016 4Runner?

Clutch

<---Pass
I have a wife and a dog and still pick the truck over the 4Runner. The wife/girlfriend will love you more if the wet and smelly dog is in the back of the truck than in the back of the 4Runner. I know this first hand. Wet dog smell isn't the easiest thing to get out of a 4Runner... again, first hand knowledge.

We have both, the dog isn't allowed in the SUV. The Tacoma gets used for darn near everything, camping, traveling, wet dog hauler, hardware store/nursery runs, dirt bike hauler, etc....and the SUV gets the grocery store runs maybe, I usually just take the truck. Dunno, find SUV's mostly useless for everything except hauling people, which we don't do. The better half wants her own Tacoma, she likes mine so much.

Be aware on the tacoma, that composite bed is SLIPPERY. I took my rotwiller/mastiff mix for a ride today. Just in town he was sliding everywhere. I may put some grip tape back there.

Toss a bed mat in there, be better on their paws than grip tape, plus it is removable for cleaning.

Last edited:

p nut

butter
Saw this thread and is perfect timing for my dilemma. I currently have a '13 T4R Trail and looking to update. I love my 4Runner especially the way I have it kitted. Was interested in replacing with its pick up variant brother....so, I looked at a '16 Tacoma yesterday. After 5 minutes was done. I think the build quality alone is reason enough to get the 4Runner. A bed would be great and it's simply the only thing the Tacoma has going for it. The back seat in the double cab gives half the leg room of the Runner. I don't mean to knock the Tacoma...just wasn't impressed with build quality. The headrest poles are straws for crying out load. Watched the salesman fumble around with the backseats for about 15 minutes. I look forward to seeing the 5,000 build threads on the new tacos, too. ************ looking.

'16 Trail. $36k
'16 DC 4x4 TRDOR. $42k

Should be picking up my white Trail tomorrow and will begin transferring kit this weekend.

Test drive and decide. Can't really go wrong. Both incredible.

I don't have a dog.

A friend of mine bought a '16 Tundra CM 4x4 TRD Limited for $42k. So same price as that Tacoma Ltd.

Like you, I've also felt that 4Runners had a more solid build feel to it. That said, I've not had issues with either vehicle, and they were all solid performers. I wouldn't mind a 4Runner Trail as a solo outing vehicle.

TheSkeeter

What's a new trail cost now? I'm thinking they were $39,000 -$40,000 when I bought the 14 SR5. I probably should have bought the trail then but for what I do the SR5 is plenty. The SR5 was a little over $38,000 sticker then. I walked in a little after noon the last day of the month and offered them $36,000 out the door and they took it. I was kinda floored since non of the other dealers would move any. In TN the tax on the truck is for the whole amount. It was something like $2500-3000 if I'm not mistaken... then their stupid fees.

JK4AER

I traded in my JK for a 2016 Tundra Ltd CM 4x4 two months ago and love it. I started looking at Tacomas but the backseat had less interior leg room than my JK. Thought about a 4Runner but my wife already has a GX so I went with the Tundra. So much room inside, it's great. I got it for just under $42k.

It is a bit different though not having access to your gear on trips but I'll get used to it.

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
Biting my tongue a bit...

I just test drove a DC4X4TRDOR and was way more impressed with it than the SR5 version I had sat in a day or two ago. Not $42k like I thought either. Things might get interesting here in the ol' Angus household.

blackwood

Adventurer
Thought about a 4Runner but my wife already has a GX so I went with the Tundra. So much room inside, it's great.

We also have a Tundra + GX 470 combo. I think a truck is way more versatile. The GX is for costco and city runs. The truck is all I travel in and I don't mind it getting scratched or dirty. They both get the same type of mileage, I wish I had a Prius too for the in between stuff where I wanted to save some gas money.

My vote is for the Taco.

Vandy

Adventurer
'16 Trail. $36k
'16 DC 4x4 TRDOR. $42k

Am I reading this right? The 16 trail at 36k. Yes

But a tacoma double cab 4wd trd offroad at 42k?

Maybe for a tundra. I just bought my tacoma out the door at 33,500. Was looking at a trail msrp was 37 maybe and a trd pro runner at 44k.

Maybe your area has a mark uo for demand?

Which one would you build up for an expedition vehicle and why?

I've read the resale value on the Tacoma is one of the best, which is a big consideration for me. I'm guessing the 4Runner might be better in serious off road for better departure angle. Any other thoughts?

Really? The deciding factor here should be; Do you want/need outside storage or not? ;)

Personally going from FJ to pickup for me was because I wanted outside storage, so the "dirty" camping junk could stay out of my interrior

p nut

butter
Am I reading this right? The 16 trail at 36k. Yes

But a tacoma double cab 4wd trd offroad at 42k?

Maybe for a tundra. I just bought my tacoma out the door at 33,500. Was looking at a trail msrp was 37 maybe and a trd pro runner at 44k.

Maybe your area has a mark uo for demand?

"Out the door" means purchase price + TTL. I'm guessing no taxes in your state? That's still a good price though. Dealers around here won't budge much from MSRP of ~$38k. And I think that was just for SR5 TRD OR. Limited goes up even more.

TheSkeeter

Anyone else feel kinda disconnected when they drive the 4Runner? I admit I don't drive it much but when I do I don't feel like I'm part of the truck... kinda like jumping on a horse with the wrong saddle. Maybe I'm just too use to driving my Tundra.

Pound_Sand

I was looking at a 2016 Double Cab, TRD OR, with premium and tech pkgs and the sticker was right at about $40k. I decided to order a T4R Pro for less than $2k more. The SUV platform will fit my intended use better, as well.

ssmathis

Observer
I was looking at a 2016 Double Cab, TRD OR, with premium and tech pkgs and the sticker was right at about $40k. I decided to order a T4R Pro for less than $2k more. The SUV platform will fit my intended use better, as well.

Dealers in Colorado sell at invoice, that's what I paid for mine, 2016 DC TRD OR with the premium and tech package.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne