2017 Australian Unimog camper for sale.

Wyuna

Observer
I saw that a few days ago, the engine just been run in and ready for some more travelling.

still not everyone has a spare 350k lying around, but its a great truck

Why would someone build a truck like that and use it for 1yr and 20Kkm and then announce “done with travel “?
Just a rhetorical question
Only $US255k
It has all the right options - working gears, CTIS, EAS (automatic shifting of manual trans). Only drawbacks are tiny black water tank (19L) and I'd get rid of the petrol generator, install another diesel tank and max out the solar panels to compensate. It already has 740W, enough if cooking is not induction. And figure out a place to put a 2nd unmounted spare tyre.
And I especially hope it has a diesel hot water maker/heater rather than gas; gas is a big negative for worldwide travel if needed for heating and hot water. Two 30 lb canisters will last me 1.5-2 yrs just for cooking but if used for hot water and heating the mentioned "#4 gas canisters" will go quickly, and can be problematic to refill outside one's home country/continent.

Last edited:

Wyuna

Observer
Why would someone build a truck like that and use it for 1yr and 20Kkm and then announce “done with travel “?
Only $US255k

It does seem a little odd, when this vehicle is capable of world travel, 20k gets you lap around Australia

i thought at the time it could be

illness
Could be that it seemed like a good idea, but running expenses were to high
Or the dream of travelling didn't match their expectations

It'll get snapped up, and someone else will enjoy it

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
You've heard the term "Go Big or Go Home"

Maybe going Big was not such a good idea after all and now it's time to go Home!

Sitec

Adventurer
Only $US255k
It has all the right options - working gears, CTIS, EAS (automatic shifting of manual trans). Only drawbacks are tiny black water tank (19L) and I'd get rid of the petrol generator, install another diesel tank and max out the solar panels to compensate. It already has 740W, enough if cooking is not induction. And figure out a place to put a 2nd unmounted spare tyre.
And I especially hope it has a diesel hot water maker/heater rather than gas; gas is a big negative for worldwide travel if needed for heating and hot water. Two 30 lb canisters will last me 1.5-2 yrs just for cooking but if used for hot water and heating the mentioned "#4 gas canisters" will go quickly, and can be problematic to refill outside one's home country/continent.

All valid points... The first was a question I asked too. Seems sad to spend all that money, and then sell it soon after... Re gas for heating, I'm in the throws of building my truck, and will have two large(ish) 15kg Forlkift gas cylinders stowed against the chassis. I plan to use it for cooking, BBQ, Hot Water, and was contemplating using it for heating too... but you say gas heating is a 'big negative'. My cylinders have the Aussie/UK style servo fill points (drive up to the pump, fill, pay and leave)... Are you saying that a diesel fired night heater would be a better option? Better to know why now than when in somewhere cold with no heating!! :)

Wyuna

Observer
All valid points... The first was a question I asked too. Seems sad to spend all that money, and then sell it soon after... Re gas for heating, I'm in the throws of building my truck, and will have two large(ish) 15kg Forlkift gas cylinders stowed against the chassis. I plan to use it for cooking, BBQ, Hot Water, and was contemplating using it for heating too... but you say gas heating is a 'big negative'. My cylinders have the Aussie/UK style servo fill points (drive up to the pump, fill, pay and leave)... Are you saying that a diesel fired night heater would be a better option? Better to know why now than when in somewhere cold with no heating!! :)

I'd have a look to see if its legal to fill the 15 kg forklift bottles, as far as i know, you can't legally use autogas here in Aus, like you can in the UK.

The diesel heaters, use stuff all fuel compared to gas heating, with less moisture as a bonus.

I end up getting a webasto as it wasn't badly priced

http://www.rvsalescentre.com.au/webasto-airtop-2000-stc-diesel-heater-with-digital~2262

Wyuna

Observer
This is from page 7, from the below document.

There are two grades of LP gas stored at service stations. One is for automotive use only and could be a Propane/Butane mix, which is dispensed through a driveway pump into the vehicle fuel container.
The other is Propane, which is decanted into portable cylinders for barbeques and caravans.
These grades are not interchangeable and a dangerous situation could develop if the auto gas is used for domestic or leisure appliances.
Products of incomplete combustion such as carbon monoxide may cause serious or even fatal injuries.

http://npstag.com/wp-content/upload...ravans-mobile-homes-and-mobile-workplaces.pdf

This post isn't all about the legality, its more so the it my affect your build, if you aren't aware of it.

I think its stupid that there is two mixes out there for Autogas and LPG, it's so much cheaper to use Autogas than buying 9kg swap bottles

Last edited:

giantiger

My expereince of using diesel heater (Webasto , airHydronic )opinion on the heater, diesel heater got a little noise under the chassis if you don't use exhaust silencer, and the intake air may not sufficient to light the heater works properly when it is high altitude over 2000m high, though it does have high altitude package to switch between 1and 2.
especially when you light a campfire near the intake air hose, the thin air may not enough for the diesel heater. If you choose diesel heater, have to pay attention, make sure there's adequate fresh air for the diesel heater at high altitude. and use exhaust silencer.

BunyipBen

It does seem a little odd, when this vehicle is capable of world travel, 20k gets you lap around Australia

i thought at the time it could be

illness
Could be that it seemed like a good idea, but running expenses were to high
Or the dream of travelling didn't match their expectations

It'll get snapped up, and someone else will enjoy it

I think this may be the reason for the sale; there is only room for 1 Mercedes offroad truck in the garage and the biggest takes priority... Zetros!

49723856_10213603489666293_7944393650132221952_n.jpg

Last edited:

BunyipBen

This is from page 7, from the below document.

There are two grades of LP gas stored at service stations. One is for automotive use only and could be a Propane/Butane mix, which is dispensed through a driveway pump into the vehicle fuel container.
The other is Propane, which is decanted into portable cylinders for barbeques and caravans.
These grades are not interchangeable and a dangerous situation could develop if the auto gas is used for domestic or leisure appliances.
Products of incomplete combustion such as carbon monoxide may cause serious or even fatal injuries.

http://npstag.com/wp-content/upload...ravans-mobile-homes-and-mobile-workplaces.pdf

This post isn't all about the legality, its more so the it my affect your build, if you aren't aware of it.

I think its stupid that there is two mixes out there for Autogas and LPG, it's so much cheaper to use Autogas than buying 9kg swap bottles

We used forklift bottles filled at the LPG pump at the service station and taken home for hot water and cooking and had no problems.

LostInTheWorld

Builder/Traveler
I think this may be the reason for the sale; there is only room for 1 Mercedes offroad truck in the garage and the biggest takes priority... Zetros!

That's interesting! I think I'd keep the mog, but it would be a hard choice.

Also, if I lived in such a nice place, I'd probably travel less. Nice land!

Sitec

Adventurer
We used forklift bottles filled at the LPG pump at the service station and taken home for hot water and cooking and had no problems.
Same. The large cylinder behind the house is long gone. We have a Carbon Monoxide sensor/alarm in the house and have had no probs so far. I spoke to a fella in a local gas cylinder outlet, and he said the same truck fills the depot tanks as the servo. They like you to think it's different, but he said not.

Wyuna

Observer

I don't have an issue with it, most appliances can use the different blends of Autogas without issues.

as with the new truck, what's the plans....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94