2017 Dodge Ram 2500 - An Overland work in Progress

Looks like you fish, if your ever passing through Illinois, I make custom lockable fishing rod holders that mount to any roof rack. You can order whatever length you want, they come coated in black line x. I sell them locally, I haven’t been able to figure out how to ship an 8 foot or more long tube without damaging it.

I ran a guide service for about 7 years and I was a pro for Jackson Kayak at one time. And... in fact I am looking for lockable rod storage. Is it fly rod storage? Shoot me a PM with some pics. It will be next year before I cross Southern Illinois, but I may be interested.

Explorerinil

Observer
I ran a guide service for about 7 years and I was a pro for Jackson Kayak at one time. And... in fact I am looking for lockable rod storage. Is it fly rod storage? Shoot me a PM with some pics. It will be next year before I cross Southern Illinois, but I may be interested.
It’s not for fly rods, for fly rod holder I recommend Denver outfitters. I keep my sage rod and reel in my truck, a matter of fact it’s so valueable to me I lock it in my gun safe when not fishing.

chet6.7

Explorer
I don't know if other bumpers have this feature.

Buckstop "REMOVABLE GRILL GUARD – Serviceability. In cases where you need to service your radiator or grill, simply take of the grill guard – no need to un-wire the winch and lights and remove the entire bumper. Also, in the event of an extreme accident, the Grill Guard can be replaced without having to be cut off, re-welded, and re-painted."
https://www.buckstopinc.com/features/

Kingsize24

Yep... ARB is the same. Makes it MUCH easier to service for sure. I don't think I would consider one I couldn't simply unbolt.

Buckstop "REMOVABLE GRILL GUARD – Serviceability. In cases where you need to service your radiator or grill, simply take of the grill guard – no need to un-wire the winch and lights and remove the entire bumper. Also, in the event of an extreme accident, the Grill Guard can be replaced without having to be cut off, re-welded, and re-painted."

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I'm on my way back
I posted some photos to the Full Size Dodge Thread, but given I had a few questions for the forum I thought it might be better to create a new thread.

After retiring from law enforcement I decided to purchase a new 2017 Ram 2500 and begin the process of building it for an Overland project that was mission specific to my needs. To be more specific, I wanted a daily driver that I could use as a truck, but also something I could travel across country in and could access remote places, to live out a few more adventures while I could still enjoy it. The truck is the bare bones Tradesman but it it did come equip with a 4x4 off road package. The only real change to the truck was the addition of 35" BFGoodrich All Terrain Ko2 tires.

View attachment 459976
So far here is a list of add-ons that seemed to have worked out pretty well:

ARE truck cap.

I special ordered this cap to ensure I got carpeted interior, lights, window access with vents, and a tool box (with fold down shelf) on one side. I use the enclosed space for sleeping. The thing that has worked out the best is the tool box I converted to a pantry. For those who are considering ordering a truck cap, I highly recommend it.

View attachment 459978

Bedslide

Given I can't crawl that well in an enclosed truck cap, I opted for the bedside rather than full length storage drawers. For my preference, I feel like this was another good choice. Outside the advantage of sliding out the entire contents of my truck, I can use the extended slide as a platform to stand and more easily access the roof rack. This has been a big advantage when loading and unloading a 85'lb fishing kayak.

View attachment 459977

Cap-Pack (Overhead lockable storage)

Since I opted for a bedside rather than storage drawers, I needed some kind of storage for all my various gear. The answer was the Cap-Pack and I have been pleasantly surprised with this addition. The load rating is 100 lbs of evenly distributed weight and I have probably met or exceeded this rating. Since I've used this product, I have had no issues damage to the roof. In fact, I have taken it down some very rough terrain and washboard gravel roads and I've been impressed so far. With this lockable storage, I can store an incredible amount of gear that stays on my truck. This includes rifles during the hunting season. As far as I'm concerned, its been torture tested and held up great. I would highly recommend it.

View attachment 459979

Rhino-Rack Pioneer Platform and Rhino-Rack Awning

The Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform has been a useful addition to the truck. I really like the flat platform to haul various pieces of equipment and its held up well. There may be some better platforms on the market, but at the price point, fit and function, I'm happy with the purchase. The Rhino Rack Awning was an easy install and works well when its fully deployed. However, I will say that the awning is something I rarely deploy in the long distance traveling I've done so far. In most situations, the overnight camp is put up and taken down pretty quick. Unless the conditions are rainy, or sunny and in need of shade, its rarely used. This has been especially true in Montana where the winds tend to be rather high. That being said, I'm very happy with the purchase and it seems to be holding up well after two seasons and 30'000 miles of travel.

View attachment 459983

View attachment 459986

Oztent RV3 (The guest house)

When I have someone tagging along for the trip, I have been very impressed with the Oztent. Being a fan of classical camping, the tent reminds me of the old Baker tent. It performs as advertised and makes quick work of setting up. The only negative about this tent is when in Grizz country as it makes for a nervous nights camping. For this reason I'll be considering a roof top tent (see my questions below). However, I happy with the purchase and highly recommend this tent. When winter camping, this tent works out nicely.

View attachment 459984

Now for the suggestions and the reason for making a new thread.

1. After two trips to Montana, my thirst for a road less traveled has me making plans for Alaska. One of the serious risk I've found in this truck build is with a large animal strike. As we speak I'm in the process of purchasing a winch bumper. Originally, I was looking at the AEV but it was primarily for looks. I'm now leaning more on full grill protection. Road Armor has a 3/16 in steel bumper that fits this criteria but I seldom see anyone here talk about this manufacturer. What are your thoughts? Is there a reason its not mentioned or is it merely preference?

2. There are a ton of roof tents on the market. Two have caught my eye because they have a hard top, Ikamper skycamp and the Free-spirit adventure series automatic hard top. Your thoughts?

3. What kind of remote radio communication would you recommend? Do you think I might need it for a trip to Alaska?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions
I am driving home From over a month in Alaska to include a trip to Deadhorse Prudhoe Bay. I know on the Dalton Highway it is recommended to have a CB radio.
Helpful in monitoring the truck traffic.

I also have a Ham radio , Verizon and ATT cell phones, In Reach and Iridium Sat phone.

Two spare tires are recommended as there is a lot of nothing out there. There are small towns here and there but there are no facilities.

You should consider protection against Bears when camping.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I'm on my way back
I posted some photos to the Full Size Dodge Thread, but given I had a few questions for the forum I thought it might be better to create a new thread.

After retiring from law enforcement I decided to purchase a new 2017 Ram 2500 and begin the process of building it for an Overland project that was mission specific to my needs. To be more specific, I wanted a daily driver that I could use as a truck, but also something I could travel across country in and could access remote places, to live out a few more adventures while I could still enjoy it. The truck is the bare bones Tradesman but it it did come equip with a 4x4 off road package. The only real change to the truck was the addition of 35" BFGoodrich All Terrain Ko2 tires.

View attachment 459976
So far here is a list of add-ons that seemed to have worked out pretty well:

ARE truck cap.

I special ordered this cap to ensure I got carpeted interior, lights, window access with vents, and a tool box (with fold down shelf) on one side. I use the enclosed space for sleeping. The thing that has worked out the best is the tool box I converted to a pantry. For those who are considering ordering a truck cap, I highly recommend it.

View attachment 459978

Bedslide

Given I can't crawl that well in an enclosed truck cap, I opted for the bedside rather than full length storage drawers. For my preference, I feel like this was another good choice. Outside the advantage of sliding out the entire contents of my truck, I can use the extended slide as a platform to stand and more easily access the roof rack. This has been a big advantage when loading and unloading a 85'lb fishing kayak.

View attachment 459977

Cap-Pack (Overhead lockable storage)

Since I opted for a bedside rather than storage drawers, I needed some kind of storage for all my various gear. The answer was the Cap-Pack and I have been pleasantly surprised with this addition. The load rating is 100 lbs of evenly distributed weight and I have probably met or exceeded this rating. Since I've used this product, I have had no issues damage to the roof. In fact, I have taken it down some very rough terrain and washboard gravel roads and I've been impressed so far. With this lockable storage, I can store an incredible amount of gear that stays on my truck. This includes rifles during the hunting season. As far as I'm concerned, its been torture tested and held up great. I would highly recommend it.

View attachment 459979

Rhino-Rack Pioneer Platform and Rhino-Rack Awning

The Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform has been a useful addition to the truck. I really like the flat platform to haul various pieces of equipment and its held up well. There may be some better platforms on the market, but at the price point, fit and function, I'm happy with the purchase. The Rhino Rack Awning was an easy install and works well when its fully deployed. However, I will say that the awning is something I rarely deploy in the long distance traveling I've done so far. In most situations, the overnight camp is put up and taken down pretty quick. Unless the conditions are rainy, or sunny and in need of shade, its rarely used. This has been especially true in Montana where the winds tend to be rather high. That being said, I'm very happy with the purchase and it seems to be holding up well after two seasons and 30'000 miles of travel.

View attachment 459983

View attachment 459986

Oztent RV3 (The guest house)

When I have someone tagging along for the trip, I have been very impressed with the Oztent. Being a fan of classical camping, the tent reminds me of the old Baker tent. It performs as advertised and makes quick work of setting up. The only negative about this tent is when in Grizz country as it makes for a nervous nights camping. For this reason I'll be considering a roof top tent (see my questions below). However, I happy with the purchase and highly recommend this tent. When winter camping, this tent works out nicely.

View attachment 459984

Now for the suggestions and the reason for making a new thread.

1. After two trips to Montana, my thirst for a road less traveled has me making plans for Alaska. One of the serious risk I've found in this truck build is with a large animal strike. As we speak I'm in the process of purchasing a winch bumper. Originally, I was looking at the AEV but it was primarily for looks. I'm now leaning more on full grill protection. Road Armor has a 3/16 in steel bumper that fits this criteria but I seldom see anyone here talk about this manufacturer. What are your thoughts? Is there a reason its not mentioned or is it merely preference?

2. There are a ton of roof tents on the market. Two have caught my eye because they have a hard top, Ikamper skycamp and the Free-spirit adventure series automatic hard top. Your thoughts?

3. What kind of remote radio communication would you recommend? Do you think I might need it for a trip to Alaska?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions
I am driving home From over a month in Alaska to include a trip to Deadhorse Prudhoe Bay. I know on the Dalton Highway it is recommended to have a CB radio.

I also have a Ham radio , Verizon and ATT cell phones, In Reach and Iridium Sat phone.

Two spare tires are recommended as there is a lot of nothing out there. There are small towns here and there but there are no facilities.

More good advice and things to consider! This may be moving in a little different direction that what I originally intended, but right now I'm leaning toward the Expedition One RangeMax Ultra HD and have a bolt on bull bar fabricated to give me a little more protection around the grill. It may not be as bullet proof as the buckstop, but it will certainly provide me with more protection than the stock bumper.

I'm on my way back

Thanks so much for this advice, and... fresh off the trip I hope to do next year!!!

1. Sounds like you have the communications covered! I had considered a Sat phone, but the idea of carrying two cell phones is a great idea. I use ATT and had a difficult time in a lot of places in Montana. I had a friend with a Verison and where he couldn't get a signal I could. Purchasing a prepaid phone from Verison might not be a bad idea as well as the CB/Ham. I have to do some research to get schooled up.

2. The two spare tires was already on my list as well. I saw Expedition One has a rear swing away bumper with a tire/fuel carrier. (If anyone has experience with this bumper and its durability chime in!)

3. I believe I have the bear protection covered. The one thing I have a lot experience with is pepper spray and firearms. I will have to research the regulations when crossing through Canada, but from what little I know, I have heard they will not allow handguns or any type of hollow point ammunition to cross the border.

Thanks again and I hope you have safe travels the rest of the way home.

CRolandLJ

Adventurer
You probably already know this but there are several firearms dealers in Montana that can help you ship your handguns "From yourself, to yourself" in care of another FFL in AK so they'll be waiting for you when you get there. Long guns are easier to cross with, but obviously most bear protection for camping and hiking isn't of the long-gun variety.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
You can only bring Bear Spray into Canada. Bringing long guns into Canada is easy but you can't use firearms for self defense against wildlife.

I shipped two pistols to Tok Alaska from Great Falls MT using Wolfhawk shipping.

Attachments

• IMG_20180715_192810956_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180715_192810956_HDR.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 75

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
People get so hung up on the intercooler protection that the AEV bumper supposedly lacks, I have never had an issue. Remember diesel power products ran the ultimate adventure in a ram with an AEV bumper. For what 99% of us the AEV or ARB bumpers will work fine.
I have a stock bumper with an Aluminess skid plate. I got it after seeing a Ram which ran over a 5 gal Home Depot bucket on the freeway. The shop I use has seen several with guys who chucked their front valance. No 4th's to date though even with their low hanging equipment.

CRolandLJ, Mep1811, chet6.7 & Regcabguy,

Tanks for the advice!

1. I was familiar with shipping handguns but I didn't know about it being illegal to use a firearm for self defense against animals in Canada (seems to me like the priority of lives is out of wack, but its their country and I will abide by their rules). I'll make sure I study up on this before I cross the border.
2. Thanks for the thread lead for the rear bumpers.
3. More skidplate protection is now on my list!

BTW.... Interesting blog mep1811! Looks like you offered a lot of good information there.

UPDATE:

First, let me thank all of you that cared to offer advice on the front bumper.

After giving it a lot of thought, I pulled the trigger on a Trail Ready with the full frontal protection. It won't have the modular features I would have liked but it looks like it will provide me with a lot of protection. It will be four weeks on the build, but it gives me the time to work on some funds for a new winch. I'll post pictures when it comes in.

As a follow up question on purchasing this bumper, is there any special considerations I should be thinking about because of the added weight?

Thanks again for the advice!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles