2017 G550 - Tire Options

HeliNomad

Adventurer
So I have ordered a 2017 G550 which will arrive in October. I'm looking to install BFGoodrich ATs but am having trouble figuring out the right rim and tire combination. I have read issues of larger then stock diameter causing issues with ESP and even rubbing at full articulation. It seems that the Mike Horn G Class expedition got the combination right. Can anyone tell me what rim and tire combo was used on these trucks? Any advise would be appreciated. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkxDHEPpvM4

Thanks!

ILIAN

Adventurer
That truck probably had a small suspension lift with stiffer springs so you can't go by that to figure out your tire size. You need to make sure the bigger tires are not going to void the warranty. I think you can go up to a 32" tire size without rubbing, you will need to have someone with a MB Star diagnostic system change the tire size selection in the system and you will probably be all set with ESP and the speedometer and odometer will read correctly.

HeliNomad

Adventurer
That truck probably had a small suspension lift with stiffer springs so you can't go by that to figure out your tire size. You need to make sure the bigger tires are not going to void the warranty. I think you can go up to a 32" tire size without rubbing, you will need to have someone with a MB Star diagnostic system change the tire size selection in the system and you will probably be all set with ESP and the speedometer and odometer will read correctly.

I'd be surprised if Mercedes lifted a G Class for a corporate sponsored adventure trip. Maybe I'm wrong though. Does it look lifted to you?

ILIAN

Adventurer
They have a lot of OEM options for the suspension. They could have used a spring/ shock combo from the military variants to make the G look good for a publicity event like this. A lot of people have been able to fit 33 inch tires on the G500 with no lift. First I would go to the dealer and find out what optional tire sizes they have programmed in the system and go with one of those that's around a 32 inch OD.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Adoni

Heli Nomad, what size tires are you looking to put on your G? I have a 2000 G500 with 33" tires on it and no lift. Previously I ran both Goodyear DT and BFG KO2 in 275/70-18. Tomorrow my new Cooper ST Maxx come in. I am using 2015 G550 wheels for the et43 offset. I only had rubbing with my old et63 euro spec Ashtaroths. In fact, I am running the same springs you have on your truck, double yellow stripe as my truck came with softer front springs which didn't complement my front winch bumper.

As far as ESP issues, you should be able to change your settings via the STAR diagnostic system to a larger tire size eliminating ESP issues. On my truck, I believe I used one for the Michelin xzl sizes 8.0, 8.5 or something to adjust my speedo and odo.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
probably the michelin xzl 8.25-16 size that is used on the Canadian forces G-wagens? Don't think there are any xzl's in 18 inch rim sizes...

otiswesty

Regular guy
Heli Nomad, what size tires are you looking to put on your G? I have a 2000 G500 with 33" tires on it and no lift. I am running the same springs you have on your truck, double yellow stripe as my truck came with softer front springs which didn't complement my front winch bumper.

I thought yellow was one of the softest springs? The stock early MB G500s were yellow-orange 3 stripe. My G500 has Brown springs up front and came with a winch bumper.
My SWB 463 has two stripe yellow springs all around.

As for the OP, you need to figure out what your new car's wheel size is, 18", 19", or 20". Things have changed in the last couple model years. 18 rims may not fit over the brake calipers any more. I know for sure that 18" rims will not fit on the G63, the G550 may have different, smaller front calipers.

Attachments

• Springs-Front.gif
    Springs-Front.gif
    42.3 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

thebigblue

Adventurer
Remember rubbing is also about tire width, I´m on 285/65-18 (33") and have a slight rub on full left steering angel with no lift. A narrower 33" tire might not rub.

HeliNomad

Adventurer
So I finally took delivery of the '17 G550. It's amazing...no remorse leaving the AEV JK. As you can see I removed the front brush guard and installed the Euro-Spec blanking plates which I had painted in matching body color. I also changed from the 19" stock rims to the 18" split 5 spoke. This allowed me to go with BFG AT KO2s which are a perfect fit for this truck in terms of balancing handling, off road grip, and road noise. Lastly I removed the polished rear tire cover and installed the Euro-Spec tire cover from the G350d Professional. The polished rear cover is too delicate for my taste.

For now I'm sticking with a stock overall tire size of 30.5". I have built up overland versions of 2004 Discovery, NAS Defender 110, 2005 LR3, and 2014 AEV JK. Everytime I messed with the overall tire size I seemed to make the truck worse on road and only marginally better off-road. And...to be completely honest with my self...for the places I travel to off road, the stock form of any of those vehicles with the right AT/MT tires would have gotten me there just fine. Who knows where Ill be in a year from now on the G but for now I'm thinking less is more on this one. Here are some photos:

IMG_2155.jpg
IMG_2156.jpg
IMG_2153.jpg

94rover

Nice, HeliNomad! Tastefully customized too! When time allows, I'd like a part number on the tire cover and tire size you selected for the BFG AT KO2's.
Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy your 2017 G550!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles