2017 TRD Pro Tacoma

Mojavejohn

Adventurer
Not saying they don't work, it just bothers me that a 2017 truck comes with them. I did notice that I couldn't get the DCLB OR with a manual either.

I've already had a problem with my drums. I used the crawl control to get unstuck in the upside down picture, in my first post on here. It had to work at it, but I finally made it out. The drums must have gotten to hot because I noticed the breaks pulsating on my way home. Shortly there after I took it into the dealer and they confirmed that the drums needed to be turned. My front rotors were fine. The dealer turned the drums for me and now everything is working fine again.

uzj100

Adventurer
Drums and crawl control seem like a strange combo. CC needs to brake and release a lot similar to A-TRAC and drums would have to work extra hard.

I like the new '17 Pro. Hard to believe in 2016 / 17 Toyota still mandates to customers on how trucks can be optioned.

Applejack

Explorer
When I went to buy my 2016 4Runner I did a comparison with the TRDPro-$48,900 and a Trail Premium-$38,018, the best price I could work out with several dealerships. I chose to buy the TE over the TRD. Why? I knew that I would not be satisfied with the suspension of either model so I knew I'd be dropping another $2000-$2500 at least. The same goes for the tires, $1300. So unless you really are into the novelty or perhaps collectibility, the TRD Pro has terrible value. In terms of off road capability, other than tires and suspension there is nothing that really sets the TRDpro's apart from their Trail Edition (4Runner) and TRD Off Road (Tacoma) counterparts. So you are really just paying for some styling cues. Or am I missing something?

forty2

Adventurer
Yeah, the main reason for disappointment is I expected better mileage based on the stated MPG from Toyota, that and my old 6.6 Duramax consistently got 16MPG. I know, comparing apples to oranges. A little off topic, but how do you like the manual? I wanted a manual, but I went with the auto so that I could get the crawl control.

I really like the manual, considering that it's a truck the throws aren't huge and you don't really have to fight it at all. Clutch could probably have a more positive feel but since pedal layout isn't exactly heel/toe conducive and its a truck its not really an issue. Also, I'm one of those automotive evangelical luddites that refuses to own an auto, so even if it was a bucket of rocks I'd still get the manual option so my opinions should probably be taken with a grain of salt.

Full disclosure: My wife has a Prius and I occasionally drive it, but only with a bag over my head so no one can see me.

deadbeat son

Explorer
When I went to buy my 2016 4Runner I did a comparison with the TRDPro-$48,900 and a Trail Premium-$38,018, the best price I could work out with several dealerships. I chose to buy the TE over the TRD. Why? I knew that I would not be satisfied with the suspension of either model so I knew I'd be dropping another $2000-$2500 at least. The same goes for the tires, $1300. So unless you really are into the novelty or perhaps collectibility, the TRD Pro has terrible value. In terms of off road capability, other than tires and suspension there is nothing that really sets the TRDpro's apart from their Trail Edition (4Runner) and TRD Off Road (Tacoma) counterparts. So you are really just paying for some styling cues. Or am I missing something?

You're missing that the '17 Tacoma TRD Pro has Fox 2.5" remote resi shocks, a considerable upgrade from the previous TRD Pro models. Other than that, you pretty much hit the nail on the head. Oh, and some folks prefer to drive a stock vehicle to modding one themselves.

Clutch

<---Pass
I like the new '17 Pro. Hard to believe in 2016 / 17 Toyota still mandates to customers on how trucks can be optioned.

You would think in this day and age with the plethora of choices we have it wouldn't be that way. Should be able to build these things a la carte.

You're missing that the '17 Tacoma TRD Pro has Fox 2.5" remote resi shocks, a considerable upgrade from the previous TRD Pro models. Other than that, you pretty much hit the nail on the head. Oh, and some folks prefer to drive a stock vehicle to modding one themselves.

There was an article on Race Dezert about the TRD Pro's value.

http://www.race-dezert.com/home/is-a-toyota-trd-pro-truck-a-good-buy-113306.html

While I'll agree...the Pro isn't for me. paying for a lot of stuff I don't need or want, and rather build my own, starting with the SR base model. Just to get a MT V6 ACLB, I have to buy the Sport package...which I'll have to change the suspension, the wheels, add a locker. Don't really want the Off-Road version either, but I be ok with it, since it comes with 16" wheels and locker. What I don't understand is, Canada gets the ACLB OR with the MT but we don't. I have written corporate and they tell me to talk to my dealer... :rolleyes:

If I was in the market for a Tacoma, I would not buy a TRD Pro due to the option including a lot of stuff I would prefer to buy aftermarket. I would buy a TRD Off Road to get the locking rear diff. I would consider hitting Toyota Parts to buy the TRD Pro front coilovers and see what options are out there for the rear springs, up to and including the TRD Pro rear springs if there was a significant difference between the Pro Springs and stock springs. Skid Plates, Tires (upsizing), Driving Lights, etc., I can modify as I go and save some money too.

I think the TRD Pro is a a very cool option and a nice truck though.

Scott Brady

Founder
I think the Pro works best for the buyer that wants a stock solution and a long warranty period. You can easily fit 33" tires stock. Install some sliders and you would have a killer truck with an extended warranty. I agree that it might not pencil for all enthusiasts, particularly those planning extensive modifications.

Scott Brady

Founder
So I can put a 33 inch tire on and it will not rub at full lock?

It might rub a little at full lock, but it would be minor. No more trimming and adjustment than would be required with a typical coil over kit. 255/85 R16 ST MAXX would be perfect

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
I think the Pro works best for the buyer that wants a stock solution and a long warranty period. You can easily fit 33" tires stock. Install some sliders and you would have a killer truck with an extended warranty. I agree that it might not pencil for all enthusiasts, particularly those planning extensive modifications.

Yes, there is definitely something to be said for having an out-of-the box solution available from manufacturers. It has taken me a long time to figure this out, but the more time I spend fiddling and shopping and modifying, the less time I have to enjoy using the truck for its intended purpose of back country fun and exploration.

p nut

butter
I also agree that the fit and finish of OEM parts is second to none, especially the way Toyota executes it. Therefore, I think the TRD Pro brings a lot of value.

MTSN

Explorer
Drums and crawl control seem like a strange combo. CC needs to brake and release a lot similar to A-TRAC and drums would have to work extra hard.

Totally agree. We have been looking at going back to a Toyota and have looked at new 4Runners, new Tacomas, or used 200s. I am not interested in a new 4Runner because I feel like a redesign is coming soon and any modern vehicle should have a 6 speed transmission at a minimum. I am not interested in a new Tacoma for a few reasons - no vehicle that cost $40k in 2016 should have rear drum brakes. No excuses, no rationale will talk me out of that - it's ridiculous. Also no height adjustment on the seats and no lumbar adjustment on the passenger seat screams of cut corners which is not acceptable at that price point. I think a used 200 series will be the next Toyota for us since it has all the niceties and capability for a little less money. I don't care if we are the first owners particularly considering you can buy a 2008 LC with almost 400 horsepower, 6 speed tranny, similar mpg with all the luxury you could want for a decent bit less than a new 4R or Tacoma. The TRD Pro is sweet, but it needs to come equipped to compete with other options at $40k+.

keezer37

Explorer
I still see Toyota as the best option out there. This 2017 is the likely candidate, I guess. How would you feel if Toyota fashioned an aluminum front bumper for this truck? Plastic front bumpers on pickup trucks make me feel like I'm wearing a sweater vest to go rock climbing.

I'm about due for a new truck. Maybe. There's nothing wrong with the '05 but I reach a point where worrying about it's age and a potential breakdown starts to occupy my thoughts on the road and that does take away from the enjoyment. I start to hear things. Feel things. But to give up the '05 will take quite an effort. It is a truck almost completely devoid of acronyms, save for ABS. And I like that. I don't want to be a passenger in the driver's seat.

I've been making the rounds at the various manufacturer's websites, building out vehicles, candidates to replace the '05 just in case disaster strikes. I wish I could get away from pickups but I still need the utility and the current crop of hideous vans are out of the question. And in that I do not need or desire a full size pickup, that cuts the candidates down. Way down. This is the major contributing factor to my opening comment.

I, like many have disliked the direction Toyota has gone with their body styling. When I first saw the front end of the current 4 Runner, my mouth hung agape with disillusion. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. The Tacoma is not nearly as bad but somewhere along the way Toyota thought multiple bulges and body lines were the answer. I could go on but suffice to say, Toyota has made a complete hash of their styling direction. By the way, did I see a smooth tailgate on this TRD Pro? Nah. Couldn't have been.

On the bright side, I've yet to read much negative news about the build quality of Toyota. And that's what it's all about. Beneath all the plastic body parts and beyond all the buttons, give me a truck that will last me 10+ years.

In closing, the Keep It Simple Stupid model is dead in America. Everything now from TVs to trucks comes with a ton of options and capabilities we did not ask for and pretty much yawned at upon their arrival. How much of this stuff has utility? 80% of it I put in the "meh" category. The older I get, the more I prefer my bicycle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior