2018 F150

Clutch

<---Pass
LINK

2018-ford-f-150-xlt-front-quarter-off-road.jpg

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
At the Detroit Auto Show, Ford confirms that the 2018 F150 will have a 3.0L V6 diesel as an option in 2018. The engine is the same model used by Range Rover, so expect about 440 ft lb of torque.

In the 2017 Range Rover, a vehicle that is heavier than the typical aluminum bodied F150, the EPA rates the 3.0L diesel to produce 22mpg city, 28 highway, using an 8 speed automatic. The F150 will use a 10 speed automatic. RAM 1500 with diesel gets 29mpg highway from the EPA, so I'd expect Ford to try to get to a 30 mpg highway rating for the RWD model.

Clutch

<---Pass
RAM 1500 with diesel gets 29mpg highway from the EPA, so I'd expect Ford to try to get to a 30 mpg highway rating for the RWD model.

Hopefully Ford has their heavy duty payload package available with the diesel, unlike the Ram.

Current payload specs here: LINK

gmacmt

Adventurer
The payload is really impressive on the f-150. Wonder what kind of fuel economy that 3.0 will get loaded down? Could be a killer combo with a FWC.

Clutch

<---Pass
The payload is really impressive on the f-150. Wonder what kind of fuel economy that 3.0 will get loaded down? Could be a killer combo with a FWC.

There are reports of a Colorado diesel with a FWC getting 25 hwy. Guessing it will be similar.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Watched a YouTube video on this last night from TFL.
Would be fun to get this truck in an extended cab FX4. Would even be more cool if they did something to compete with the Power Wagon.
Since Dodge brought a concept TRX to compete with the Raptor, it would be tit for tat, with all of us as the winners.

p nut

butter
I'm sure diesel fanboys are covered in their own drool with the 3.0, but I'm more interested to see what kind of MPG improvements the 10-sp will put out with the 2.7 and 5.0. Also very interested in the 3.3L V6. If it's an improvement from the current 3.5L (N/A), that would be a pretty cheap/reliable engine getting some great MPG.
_
Also, I'm glad they're installing auto start/stop for all engines. Mine's worked flawlessly. Supposedly saves 8-13% in gas costs, which is ok with me.

Betarocker

Adventurer
I don't like how the Superdutys now share stylings with the F150. I guess the 1/2 ton owners can feel like they have a truck now.

Clutch

<---Pass
I don't like how the Superdutys now share stylings with the F150. I guess the 1/2 ton owners can feel like they have a truck now.

I remember the days when they all looked the same, from the F100 to the F350. Dunno...back then when you wanted a "real" truck you would get a F600, could actually get some work done then. :D

We had them all...F150's, F250's, F350's, F600 and a C600. They were all trucks, each served a different purpose.

Saw a sweet '76 mint green F150 RCLB the other day running around doing errands...thought how it would it be to toss that new Cummins 2.8 diesel in it for a light weight camper/adv rig, that would most likely fetch 30 mpg instead of 8-10, man that would a cool mild resto-mod....anyways, back to your regular scheduled program. :D

I'm sure diesel fanboys are covered in their own drool with the 3.0, but I'm more interested to see what kind of MPG improvements the 10-sp will put out with the 2.7 and 5.0. Also very interested in the 3.3L V6. If it's an improvement from the current 3.5L (N/A), that would be a pretty cheap/reliable engine getting some great MPG.
_
Also, I'm glad they're installing auto start/stop for all engines. Mine's worked flawlessly. Supposedly saves 8-13% in gas costs, which is ok with me.

Read somewhere the 10 speeds will give only a 1-2 mpg gains. (you're getting around 22-23 hwy, right?) Still.... a gas fullsize truck that will get nearly 25 mpg on the hwy is pretty good.
-----

Cod piece grills are on the way out...and now a giant bar (or two) across the middle is in...with a touch hexagon... :)

2018-ford-f-150-1-1.jpg

Looks similar to the Chevy. Do the manufactures all share the same design team???

images

Last edited:

Huffy

Observer
Damn Skippy now we can have f150-vs-f250-vs-gas-vs-diesel-vs-ram-vs-chevy-vs-powersmoke-vs-cummins-vs-fiat-vs-ecoboost-vs-god knows what!

p nut

butter
I remember the days when they all looked the same, from the F100 to the F350. Dunno...back then when you wanted a "real" truck you would get a F600, could actually get some work done then. :D

We had them all...F150's, F250's, F350's, F600 and a C600. They were all trucks, each served a different purpose.

Saw a sweet '76 mint green F150 RCLB the other day running around doing errands...thought how it would it be to toss that new Cummins 2.8 diesel in it for a light weight camper/adv rig, that would most likely fetch 30 mpg instead of 8-10, man that would a cool mild resto-mod....anyways, back to your regular scheduled program. :D

Read somewhere the 10 speeds will give only a 1-2 mpg gains. (you're getting around 22-23 hwy, right?) Still.... a gas fullsize truck that will get nearly 25 mpg on the hwy is pretty good.
-----

Yeah, no kidding. I drove this for a few weeks years (and years) ago, helping my pops out (commercial GC).
1,800 lb/ft torque, 86k lb payload, triple lockers, 9 fwd gears and 3 reverse. Makes piddly 1 ton trucks look like Tonka toys.

1200167-bigthumbnail.jpg

-
I'm still at 22-23 fwy, but maybe 1mpg less during winter. Hope the new 10-sp holds up ok. I like the gear ratios which would be great for towing and crawling through tech my trails. I'll wait several years before I make that jump though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94