2018 Grand Wagoneers?

sonofmdlbldr

Adventurer
You mean the Fiat Panda:

Fiat-Panda-Cross.jpg

I think a Grand Wagoneer would be interesting, if they don't screw it up, but I do wonder if there is actually a market for it. Jeep does a lot of stuff that just leaves me shaking my head.

Agreed kind of...Jeep does a lot of stuff that is keeping the brand alive. I'm all for this, especially since everything the Jeep/Fiat team has done has been selling so well.

A

AngryRedBird

Sorry I'm too much of a motor head.. Power, power POWER.. I need the cummins Diesel in it.. not something from Vive La Frenchance..

AZJim

Observer
Saying the Renegade has anything to do with the Panda, is like saying the Corvette is based on the Sonic. The Renegade was designed and engineered by Jeep, NOT Fiat.
The Commander was the same size as the Grand Cherokee, I did not say the GW would be smaller. More like Durango size.

Jim

Cringe

Observer
Well since we are throwing out a what-if list here...

I would take a new version of the J10, with the 4.0L V8 diesel that Fiat is playing around with. It should come factory equipped with a water fording package, and have an optional enclosed utility bed like I have seen on a HiLux.

Cringe

Observer
Saying the Renegade has anything to do with the Panda, is like saying the Corvette is based on the Sonic. The Renegade was designed and engineered by Jeep, NOT Fiat.
The Commander was the same size as the Grand Cherokee, I did not say the GW would be smaller. More like Durango size.

Jim

This sort of debate reminds me of all the people I encountered over the years trying to tell me that Ford owns and builds the Cummings engine in my truck. I have very little interest in the Renegade, but what little I have read about it indicates that Jeep handled the design while it is all Fiat underneath. Aside from some wheelbase differences, and some Jeep styling, I would feel very safe saying its just a Panda in disguise.

Here is a quote from an article on digitaltrends:

We’re not yet sure whether to call it a rugged little FIAT or a porky little Jeep, but there’s no question that the Renegade rings through as spunky, cutesy compact SUV. The folks at Chrysler tell us that it was designed by Americans in the Jeep division, but engineered by Italians at FIAT. That means Jeep’s familiar seven-slatted grille is present, as are the headlights that seem to pulled directly from the Wrangler. The rest seems to be a new direction for the brand’s design, though. We suspect, aside from some Jeep-y looks, it’s all FIAT Panda underneath.​

ADVW/Liam

Adventurer
We're not yet sure whether to call it a rugged little FIAT or a porky little Jeep, but there's no question that the Renegade rings through as spunky, cutesy compact SUV. The folks at Chrysler tell us that it was designed by Americans in the Jeep division, but engineered by Italians at FIAT. That means Jeep's familiar seven-slatted grille is present, as are the headlights that seem to pulled directly from the Wrangler. The rest seems to be a new direction for the brand's design, though. We suspect, aside from some Jeep-y looks, it's all FIAT Panda underneath.​
[/QUOTE]

The first thing I thought when I saw it on the Fast Lane Car, or whatever Youtube channel I was watching, was that the Renegade looked like a Fiat, and I was diappointed. I am not a Jeep basher, and would buy one if they offered a bed from the factory (not shelling out $80,000 for a Brute when I can SAS my Tacoma for @$10,000) and I dont care who owns the brand. What bothers me is when the parent company pushes their product rebadged as another. Case in point: Mitsubishi 3000 GT & Dodge Stealth; Holden Commodore SS & Pontiac G8; Chevrolet S10 & Izuzu whatever it was.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
We’re not yet sure whether to call it a rugged little FIAT or a porky little Jeep, but there’s no question that the Renegade rings through as spunky, cutesy compact SUV. The folks at Chrysler tell us that it was designed by Americans in the Jeep division, but engineered by Italians at FIAT. That means Jeep’s familiar seven-slatted grille is present, as are the headlights that seem to pulled directly from the Wrangler. The rest seems to be a new direction for the brand’s design, though. We suspect, aside from some Jeep-y looks, it’s all FIAT Panda underneath.​

The first thing I thought when I saw it on the Fast Lane Car, or whatever Youtube channel I was watching, was that the Renegade looked like a Fiat, and I was diappointed. I am not a Jeep basher, and would buy one if they offered a bed from the factory (not shelling out $80,000 for a Brute when I can SAS my Tacoma for @$10,000) and I dont care who owns the brand. What bothers me is when the parent company pushes their product rebadged as another. Case in point: Mitsubishi 3000 GT & Dodge Stealth; Holden Commodore SS & Pontiac G8; Chevrolet S10 & Izuzu whatever it was.[/QUOTE]

Problem is if you SAS your Tacoma, you still have......a Tacoma. Id rather spend the 80g and have the brute. The renegade will mop up anything in its competition. And lots that's not. Its desgined to bring young first time buyers wanting to get a cool rig that's able to get into places a rav 4 would never dream of going. And in a much cooler package than a rav or any of the other small utes. Awesome rig I think.

Who cares what it is underneath, it friggin works. I goes off road miles and miles ahead of anything in its segment, and Looks miles better.

AZJim

Observer
With all due respect to them, they don't know what they're talking about. I just finished 31 years with Chrysler, all at the Arizona Proving Ground. The Renegade has nothing to do with the Panda. The platform and lower architecture is a heavily modified 500L, which in turn is a modified Punto. Totally different platform and architecture. And Jeep did the engineering on the Renegade. The new 500X shares app. 40% parts with the Renegade and that includes engines, transmissions. The 500/Panda is an entirely different architecture/platform.

Jim

This sort of debate reminds me of all the people I encountered over the years trying to tell me that Ford owns and builds the Cummings engine in my truck. I have very little interest in the Renegade, but what little I have read about it indicates that Jeep handled the design while it is all Fiat underneath. Aside from some wheelbase differences, and some Jeep styling, I would feel very safe saying its just a Panda in disguise.

Here is a quote from an article on digitaltrends:

We're not yet sure whether to call it a rugged little FIAT or a porky little Jeep, but there's no question that the Renegade rings through as spunky, cutesy compact SUV. The folks at Chrysler tell us that it was designed by Americans in the Jeep division, but engineered by Italians at FIAT. That means Jeep's familiar seven-slatted grille is present, as are the headlights that seem to pulled directly from the Wrangler. The rest seems to be a new direction for the brand's design, though. We suspect, aside from some Jeep-y looks, it's all FIAT Panda underneath.​

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Thank you Jim for the clarification, I again say to the nay say'rs, WHO GIVES TWO FLYING F*&KS what it is underneath. IT WORKS!:victory

AZJim

Observer
You're right kojackJKU. I was trying to correct misinformation. Of course we went way off topic of the 2018 GW.

Thank you Jim for the clarification, I again say to the nay say'rs, WHO GIVES TWO FLYING F*&KS what it is underneath. IT WORKS!:victory

AZJim

Observer
More than likely it'll be off the next Grand Cherokee platform. That should be WL, with the wagoneer being WS. No doubt more upscale and higher price.

Jim

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94