2018 JK build- GOBI

On August 9th we ordered the wife an '18 JK Sport S to replace her '16 Willys that was in a wreck. This is our 4th JK and 3rd build.

We're starting off with 2 door Sport S with the Power Convenience Group, Connectivity Group, auto trans, hard top and LEDs.

Basic build overview:
Tera 44 Front axle
Teraflex CRD 60 rear
3" Lift
Cooper STT Pro 37x12.5x17 tires
(I'll post the complete(ish) parts list below)

Here's a pic from last night when we picked him up. I'll post back here with pics of each stage of the build

Here's a list of what's sitting in the garage and what's coming:
Teraflex Alpine CT3 Lift
Falcon SS
Teraflex Front Bumper
Teraflex Rock Sliders
Teraflex Front Performance Big Rotor kit
Teraflex Rear Performance Big Rotor kit
Teraflex Tera44 Axle 4.88 w/ ARB lockers
Teraflex Rear CRD60 Axle Semi Float 4.88 w/ ARB lockers
Steersmarts YETI XD Tie Rod assembly & draglink assembly
Steersmarts YETI XD Trackbar
US Wheel Series 69 (raw) custom powder coated ORANGE 17x9
Cooper STT Pro 37x12.5x17
ARB air compressor
ApolloIntech 6 switch pod
Poison Spyder Fenders
BOLT Hood Lock
Bartact Seat Covers
Alienshade
Drive shafts- Undecided
Winch- Undecided

Last edited:
Yikes that is going to look awesome after all that you have listed is put on. Cannot wait to see the after photo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
Interesting that you chose to build up a Sport verses a Rubicon. Obviously you have put a lot of thought into this. If you wouldn't mind I'd love to here your thoughts on this. Is it a break even on the price difference plus axles verse a Rubicon. Looks Good, I like the Gobi color. Thanks

Interesting that you chose to build up a Sport verses a Rubicon. Obviously you have put a lot of thought into this. If you wouldn't mind I'd love to here your thoughts on this. Is it a break even on the price difference plus axles verse a Rubicon. Looks Good, I like the Gobi color. Thanks
Thanks!

My Jeep is a '14 Rubi and there's few things I decided to do differently.
On my D44 I geared, trussed, gusseted, ball joints, etc, but the only way to get the caster I want would be to cut/rotate the Cs. It's just more work than I want to do.

Here's the points I debated:
  • The equivalent Rubi is 10k more than my Sport, plus add the cost of gears, truss, gussets to that #. So on this build rather than put all that work into a front D44 (and still not have the caster) I chose to order the most basic factory axles/gears gears and swap them out.
  • My Rubi I've fought issues with the e-disco and e-lockers, thought I'd try air this time.
  • We'll use this one as our overlander, I prefer the the 2:72 t-case over the 4:1 for that purpose.
  • I know resale would be better starting with a Rubi, but I don't plan on selling this one for a long time (if ever)
  • The rest of the parts would need to be purchased either way.

So right or wrong those are some of the things I thought about. :)

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
Thanks for the break down. I have thought about doing a similar build. I am just trying to figure out in my mind how far down the rabbit hole and how much cash it would take to do it right. Are you aware of any other builds that dive into the cost difference. Maybe I need to give Teraflex a call. Thanks.

Great Choices!
Will be fun to follow along on the build! :beer:
What are you guys going to do for bumpers?
Thank you, sir!

I'm struggling with bumpers the most. Up front I want a stubby, low mounting winch points, factory LED fog provisions and good looking :)
The rear I'll likely do a delete. Not sure if I'll use EVO again or go with the new ACE delete.

How's the new vehicle build going for you? Miss your Jeep?

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Thank you, sir!

I'm struggling with bumpers the most. Up front I want a stubby, low mounting winch points, factory LED fog provisions and good looking :)
The rear I'll likely do a delete. Not sure if I'll use EVO again or go with the new ACE delete.

How's the new vehicle build going for you? Miss your Jeep?
So many great choices out there for bumpers. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what you choose. :)

Miss my Jeep?
Every day brother... every day! :safari-rig:

Parts are rolling in, only hiccup so far is the programmer. Seems there is a change for 2018,my buddy at our local 4WP called superchips and it might be a month or two before the programmers are out.
Anyone know of a '18 programmer that's already out??

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
I am really looking forward to following along on this build. Will be pretty awesome!
Did they say what the changes were? I was under the impression things wouldn't change until the 2018.5 version hit the floor.

I am really looking forward to following along on this build. Will be pretty awesome!
Did they say what the changes were? I was under the impression things wouldn't change until the 2018.5 version hit the floor.
I think maybe there is/was confusion on the JL being an '18 too. AEV shows their's is compatible with the '18, so I can go that way if I need to. I prefer the interface of Superchips though.