2018 Ram 3500 Expedition Family Adventure Vehicle

Kingsize24

Looks good.

Thanks! I initially went with the SnugTop Outback, but it was all kinds of crooked. The back doors wouldn't shut without huge gaps in one side or the other, and it was twisted if you measured in an x across the rear barn doors. I also didn't like a few other things once it came in. The seal against the lower bed was absolutely stupid. Nearly 2" gap, like it was made too long. I eventually made my mind up that this or the Caravan Camper was the best choice. So it was then Aluminum vs: Steel, and cheaper vs: expensive. The less costly of the two won me over, and I am glad I went with this aluminum DCU MAX, with twice the thickness of the normal aluminum toppers. The brute AF look is winning me over some now as well. ;)

EMS WJ 2000

Observer
It does look good on the truck and love the storage on the side. I will be running 2 spares so a topper is out for me and if/when I got to 40s it will be really out lol.

I was playing around on my gear calculator and if I got to 40s I will have to regear to 4.56 gears from the 4.10s I have now. Which will put me closer to stock rpms then I am right now.

Kingsize24

I can't imagine trying to figure out what to do with two spares. It is hard enough looking for a good spot for one 37"/40" tire. The side storage is awesome. I just have so much crap. Will be nice to get that stuff out from under the seat.

40's seems to be the way a few of us are headed. Those 4.56's will be nice to get you back to the range you want to be in.

It does look good on the truck and love the storage on the side. I will be running 2 spares so a topper is out for me and if/when I got to 40s it will be really out lol.

I was playing around on my gear calculator and if I got to 40s I will have to regear to 4.56 gears from the 4.10s I have now. Which will put me closer to stock rpms then I am right now.

EMS WJ 2000

Observer
Buddy and I will be making a tire carrier to where I can carry 2 tires upright and have space for a storage bin for tools and parts and a jack.

The 4.56 gears will put me about 50 rpms below what stock would be with running 40s.

Are you still running the balance masters and if you are how do you like them?

Kingsize24

Will be interesting to see that. Be sure to post that up once complete.

I am running them, and yes they work fine. I had very very slow wobble that they wouldn't cure themselves. I have since also had them road force balanced as well. The combination of the two have made the last 5k miles or so silky smooth. I think it is worth it IMO.

Buddy and I will be making a tire carrier to where I can carry 2 tires upright and have space for a storage bin for tools and parts and a jack.

The 4.56 gears will put me about 50 rpms below what stock would be with running 40s.

Are you still running the balance masters and if you are how do you like them?

Kingsize24

Started working on the ARB compressor and tank mounting in the new topper. I will also be adding the locker manifold and controls back there to keep them out of the weather as much as possible. Hopefully it will extend the life of them all. My son wanted to help with this project, and he was a ton of help. He cut out all the templates and held each one up from underneath while I fished the bolts into place. Was a fun project for him I believe.

20181231_133322.jpg20181231_133329.jpg20181231_135133.jpg20181231_135553.jpg20181231_135559.jpg20181231_141029.jpg20181231_143802.jpg20181231_142949.jpg

Kingsize24

Topper looks perfect! That’s the one I wanted but tried to save a buck instead. You got the perfect set up.

Thanks Alex!

If I did not have the ram box bed, I would be running that topper with a decked storage system.

I thought really long and hard about the Ram boxes. In the end I know I wanted to put some sort of topper on this truck, so I dealt with not having any storage space for a while until I got this topper. Ram boxes are a really great design if no topper is added. I wish they made them to where the sides folded down instead of up, and kept the rails of the truck intact. That way any truck, Ram box or not, could use a topper without issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles