SOLD. 2018 RAM Carrier vehicle for an Expedition Camper - 7177 lb payload

Siberian888

2018 RAM 3500 Tradesman, Chassis regular cab, 4x4, dually (*easy conversion to single rear wheels see link below)

New condition, less than 2000 miles on odometer

Price 35,000$ OBO

MADE TO ORDER for use as an overland/off-road camper carrier;
  • Minimal vehicle weight (6823lbs) to maximise payload (7,177lbs)
  • 6.7L Diesel Engine for torque for a heavy camper unit, plus durability and reliability
  • Manual/standard shift (g56 Mercedes truck transmission) providing low transmission ratios (5.94 in first gear vs. 3.75 in an automatic), and enhanced vehicle control (no gear hunting)
  • 4.10 axle ratio to allow for a tire size upgrade
  • Short wheel base for manoeuvrability off-road or on narrow tracks, and with regular cab to minimise vehicle length and weight
  • Dual alternators rated at 440 Amps, for camper battery re-charging and the necessary peak amperage for winching
  • 52 and 22 gallon fuel tanks providing 1000 miles range between re-fuelling
  • Chassis cab with industry standard flat frame rails for ease of camper installation
  • Anti-spin differential rear axle
  • Exhaust brake (especially effective with a manual/standard shift)
  • Auxiliary switches already plumbed into the dash for use with lights and other accessories
  • Transfer case skid plate
  • Cold weather package
  • Maximum steel metallic paint
  • Vinyl floor for ease of cleaning
Other relevant features and specification related comments;
  • 40-20-40 bench seat for 2+1 travels
  • RAM platform selected for proven diesel engine, available manual gear box and maturity of the truck generation (no major changes since 2013)
  • Off-road upgrades available from AEV Conversions
  • *Easy conversion to single rear wheel. As it is a chassis cab you can simply remove front wheel dually hub spacer and replace all 6 wheels with 4 (may need to bore the wheel hubs to ensure they are hub-centric). See https://forum.aev-conversions.com/f...n/256720-cab-chassis-dually-to-srw-conversion
  • All other OEM vehicle upgrade options were steadfastly declined to ensure simplest, lightest vehicle

Truck currently located in Colfax, California. Project abandoned after camper builder went bust

Buckstop Baja Bumper (https://www.buckstopinc.com/baja-826.html) and ICON shock upgrades also available

Further details of vehicle and the price for after market bumper and shocks on request.

Send me a PM and we can start an email conversation or talk on the telephone

RAM 3500.jpeg

Last edited:

hermz

Good luck with your sale. I am going to have to list my truck as well due to the same unfortunate situation.

adam88

Explorer
While it is an unfortunate situation for both of you, it might help you both feel better to know it could have been much worse. I have a friend who put down a $30,000 deposit with a sprinter van builder and they went out of business 3 weeks later. Money all gone. Even worse they had his sprinter on their site locked in their garage and it was a nightmare trying to get it back but he eventually got it back. You'd think they would have at least returned the sprinter van since it didn't belong to them. Very unlikely he will see any of the $30,000 back. And my buddy isn't rich, that was a lot of his life savings. Seems like a lot of this going on lately. I would be very hesitant to put any money down for anything, even a reputable builder. Because even reputable builders (like RoadTrek) can go out of business overnight.

Siberian888

For anybody new to building a camper you will need an available payload about double the weight of the dry camper... many or even most of the rigs are overweight once you add all the mods, gear, fluids and bodies. I was looking at a 3000 lb hard sided camper and once I added a winch, bumper, sliders, water, extra fuel, tools, spares, food etc.. it was easy 6000lb of payload needed.

Here is a photo and the pdf file are detailed schematics with all dimensions.

Attachments

• RAM diagram and dimensions.pdf
    387.5 KB · Views: 257
  • RAM 3500 Side Photo.jpg
    RAM 3500 Side Photo.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 274

Siberian888

This is not my truck but it is a much better photo to show what the rear end looks like ie. flat, industry standard width frame rails, making installing/upfit very easy. From back of cab to tail lights is 112"

1572763045495.png

Carolina4x4

Thanks. Too bad it's a single cab. I need to be put my wife and kids in the cab. Otherwise, an excellent option!

whododat

So sorry to hear of your troubles. If only this opportunity would have been available to the wife and I in the near future, I would be all over it.
I hope for the best of luck with your sale but I think the right person will come along and grab it.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
There are lots of camper builders out there. Maybe look for another?

Thats very similar to the platform ill be using for my next build.

Siberian888

Forgot to mention the cab and chassis versions include an exhaust brake (particularly effective with a manual/standard gear shift), and auxiliary switches already plumbed in for lighting upgrades and other add-ons....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier