2018 update to my WH(WK) build

crossed-up

Observer
It's been a while since I last posted but since prepping my WK a couple of years ago for a Pyrennese trip I’ve been really happy with the way everything has performed. The only area of disappointment was not having a proper fridge. The electric coolbox is fine on cooler UK camping trips, but isn’t really cutout for the heat of Span and southern France, and is too power hungry to leave on for extended periods. So with another euro trip planned in June I decided a bit of an update was in order. I decided that a proper compressor fridge was probably the way to go to provide proper fridge/freezer performance with low power consumption.

All things considered and after some measuring and research on fridge dimensions, I opted for a Waeco/Dometic CDF16 on a slide arrangement mounted to the right of kitchen drawer. I’ve almost completed the build apart from the painting and reinstallation but here are some pics of the build so far.

The original setup fully loaded with the toolbox to the left of the kitchen drawer.
I0000WYSQNAwHtKg.jpg

Trial fit of the Dometic. I thought I was going to get away without too many mods but It was a tight fit so the draw box needed to be moved slightly to the left.
I0000FS6KrjBJFMw.jpg

I00001hfUOiIcEJY.jpg

Draw removed to start the build
I0000J4j0yd5wnSo.jpg

Routing the side of the drawer box to recess the slide runner to minimise width.
I0000sVNgRGXwdxg.jpg

Runner in place.
I0000qjaDoUi5oGY.jpg

Making up a frame to hold the fridge.
I0000hOykUFxN_5I.jpg

I0000VkSjeq7jZF0.jpg

I0000je1AI5EK.n0.jpg

Tacking up the right hand runner mount. This has to sit higher than the left and runner to allow for the curvature of the tailgate corner.
I00004_ZYF8JxH.k.jpg

I0000gSgv4Cr13Fc.jpg

Jack mount back in place after removing a strip from the edge to allow the draw to be moved 12mm to the left
I0000ahJTDsknrrY.jpg

Making the slide front plate. This will also act a support for the fold out table.
I0000mKRYgN.CIcA.jpg

Trial fitting the slide.
I0000TWmJVEAO14s.jpg

I0000iZ_77F5pZHs.jpg

I0000acUOd2GhbzQ.jpg

I000098jTS1L4A4Y.jpg

I00000cPY41RsBvk.jpg

I0000lcJhrEBMgYA.jpg

I0000bZp.D_CRs5g.jpg

More later...

crossed-up

Observer
I've now painted, varnished and assembled all the parts ready for installation. But in my eagerness to get it finished I think I have overlooked a small section of the front slide that needs to be trimmed out to clear the table hinge!

I0000_DkfFsTrkh8.jpg

I0000cpwQApjn2vM.jpg

I0000pmNOA5C1SXk.jpg

crossed-up

Observer
I spent the weekend and the last couple of evenings refitting and tidying up some details.

I had previously used tie down straps to hold the waffle board parcel shelf frame in place, but the straps tended to get in the ay of storage space, so I decided to add some M5 clinch nuts to secure the frame directly to the trim panels.
I0000CDs2HRKlN44.jpg

I0000sSfe3vUQjPs.jpg

I0000X5b3.5wOYZ0.jpg

Removing the cubby tray to run the fridge wiring from the rear power outlet.
I0000qDA3UEv5UnE.jpg

I0000XEDTWvLs10s.jpg

Made up a removable rear cover for the tool compartment to support the thin ply top cover, allowing it to support the weight of two 10 litre jerry cans which used to sit where the fridge slide is now located. It will also keep loose items from falling out.
I0000xRVuJ509LvU.jpg

I00009I.fjGxMuY8.jpg

I0000g3Rad7gfvtI.jpg

Made up a little toggle to lock the fridge slide.
I0000d5sKYWp4mtc.jpg

There's still a bit of fettling to do to the fridge slide runner height to allow it to be used to support the folding table in place of the aluminium strut.
I00003u71Ti_COOQ.jpg

Tidied up the rear access hole in the draw box to the cubby compartment.
I0000EMzBWwywXYg.jpg

Just need to refit the waffle boards back in to compete the parcel shelf and passenger compartment divider.
I0000jPOpR6F_kgA.jpg

crossed-up

Observer
Thanks both, I'm looking forward to getting out and using it as soon as possible. Today I decided to face the some of the grottier jobs underneath, including the long overdue replacement of the leaky transmission cooler lines. I've had a set of new ones for over a year but have been putting off fitting them.

First thing to do was remove the underbody protection. This was caked full of grass and mud from my Yorkshire trip, as well as transmission fluid, so they really need to come off anyway for a clean.

I0000SoPc1GD2KN8.jpg

I0000OFeviEZ_1ok.jpg

Starting to remove the cooler pipes which is shaping up to be a pig of a job, which is why I've been putting it off!
I0000B86ClAvetQs.jpg

New pipes waiting on the bench. I actually think I'm going to need to cut these and fit some compression fittings in them to get them in if I'm going to avoid removing all sorts of things to get them routed.
I0000KxNVP8lS9Go.jpg

I'll continue with the pipes tomorrow. Then do an oil inflater change on the engine. I also need to weld some new threads into the front cross member for the front edge of the sump guard as these have stripped.

More later.

crossed-up

Observer
Today was spent replacing the cooler lines. I cut the old ones to remove them then spent a frustrating few hours wrestling the new ones into place. I tried from below first, but finally succeeded feeding them in from the top after removing the alternator and oil temp sender, and few other bits and bobs. They follow a torturous route around the steering column, rack and engine mount, and in the narrow gap between the tunnel side and trans, and around the cats.

I0000sBg343sYaFg.jpg

I0000y5t_UzgGofc.jpg

I0000XHGMixkb6C4.jpg

Whilst the intake was off I gave the throttle body a clean up.
I0000UK1FeWpr29k.jpg

I0000kc4AKfepjWA.jpg

Degreased and jet washed the underbody guards. ready refit, but I’m going to leave them off for the time being as the front mounting holes on the cross member are stripped and I want to clean up the underside also check for any leaks after the trans cooler line replacement.
I0000VRVwk_KYcH0.jpg

The stripped captive M6 nuts.
I0000STRmcwhdG4M.jpg

Cleaned up and drilled for some M8 nuts. All three need doing.
I0000qo0pU94jNZU.jpg

I ran out of time this evening to weld in the nuts so that will have to wait for later in the week.

2180miles

Endurance Adventuring
Fantastic design and execution of the rear storage/fridge slider. I've got a WK2 build and have designed/built a few rear storage decks & fridge sliders for other Dometic models. I decided against a slider in my own set-up, and have retained the left side of the storage area to strap down Pelican brand cases with gear, but I'm very inspired by the layout of yours... might have to find a way to integrate that kind of stove storage into mine!

Looking forward to seeing more progress and write-ups!

crossed-up

Observer
Thanks Ryan. The build has sort of evolved with the use of the vehicle, rather than being designed from the start. Initially just needed a way to secure the trolley jack for rally servicing/chase car duties, then I wanted a two burner stove for a Pyrenees trip, which set the width of the drawer. Followed by a way to carry some waffle boards other than on the roof, so added the parcel shelf. Luckily the remaining space at the was just big enough (with a bit of tweaking) for the fridge.

I got the waffle boards back in yesterday, and checked the fit of two 10 litre jerry cans in place of the 20 litre that travelled where fridge now sits. This was one of the reasons for adding the front to the jack compartment to support the weight. I'll probably make up a clamp/strap to hold the cans in place. There's still room for a water container to fit between the cans and the table.

I0000iduQYEMYnvY.jpg

I0000hBYYhNbIfkk.jpg

crossed-up

Observer
I managed to get the M8 nuts welded in to the cross member yesterday evening, and a quick coat of paint to tidy it up.

I0000tiNfowNSJgc.jpg

I0000sEk0ZM7Z9qc.jpg

crossed-up

Observer
Sorry for the lack of updates, I'd forgotten that I'd left this thread hanging. All this prep was ahead of another Euro trip down to Switzerland via the Italian Alps after an initial stop off in the South of France to take in the French Grand Prix. That was all back in June and since then the Jeep has pretty much just sat unused, and it was only just this last weekend I have started to prepare it for this year's activities.

I've not really got time for a full trip report, which was more of a road trip, holiday, and some off roading and walking in the mountains, but the Jeep served me well. Here are some pics...

First off a run down to Paul Ricard just outside Nice, for the French Grand Prix, traveling with some friends with an overnight stop in Dijon. It was the first run in their new Toyota C-HR Hybrid - the opposite end of the motoring spectrum of a 5.7 Hemi! That came in very handy for the run in and out of the circuit in the horrendous traffic over the Grand Prix weekend! We’re talking 3 hours to get in at the crack of dawn, and 4 to 6 hours to get out - some people gave up and just went to the beach after the Friday.

Unloading at the campsite near Le Castellet after a long hot drive from Dijon, 1000 miles on from leaving the UK.
I0000U1NzBXkjGms.jpg

As diehard F1 fans we braved the traffic for all three days as there was plenty to see and do once we did get in to the circuit.

The French AirForce put on a bit of a display.
I0000TC3PgQCL6ac.jpg

As did the amazing Franky Zapata on his fly board
I0000aBFArx4APbU.jpg

I0000V6elNAEQBgg.jpg

The McLaren ‘motorhome’ - that’s what I call an Expo rig!
I00009eUkLBM1B3w.jpg

Kimi Raikkonen at the chicane
I0000md.kDiiyFOI.jpg

Mercedes boys Bottas and Hamilton
I0000TKiQKGv0728.jpg

Stoffel Vandoorne in the Mclaren.
I0000KzPT9XVksoM.jpg

Esteban Ocon gets a lift back after crashing out in the Force India
I0000LFuYy5troXc.jpg

A bit of work for the Force India mechanics.
I0000wvoQIm1WppI.jpg

The weather was somewhat changeable despite the 40+ degree C heat.
I0000kLEgG9zm4SQ.jpg

Ice cream anyone?
I0000S39VbRXR_wY.jpg

All the excitement was a bit too much for some.
I0000PIW.3AR91mM.jpg

After the Grand Prix weekend I continued on solo through France to Italy to meet up with my brother and family in the Alps for a few days of Jeeping on the dirt tracks in the mountains.

Pics to follow…..

Last edited:

crossed-up

Observer
The Monday after the GP was intended as a leisurely run from Aubagne to Bardonecchia to meet up with my brother and family who had been there for few days already. The idea was to arrive mid afternoon after an early start then head into up further in to the mountains and and cook up an evening meal on the trail. Then after a good nights sleep head off into Switzerland.
Things went slightly awry after making good progress on the autoroutes of southern France heading past Nice along the coast. After heading north towards Turin I ended up caught up for a few hours after a serious crash closed the motorway and the police diverted us all off on to the minor roads through the villages. Progress was slow but things started to look up as I finally headed into the mountains of Italy through the national parks.

A tranquil late lunch break by the river close to the Italian border, after the frustrations of the traffic.
I0000aeUVnNRlSpg.jpg

I0000Z7GzE.GK2wQ.jpg

Climbing further into the mountains.
I00004OHIBuJQpjM.jpg

Finally arrived at the apartment in Bardonecchia. Much later than planned but still time to head out on the trails for and camping dinner in the mountains.
I0000V7gv.Ra2DBs.jpg

Back on the trail
I00004MxrUpqFGC8.jpg

I00001lCE4l5UkRs.jpg

I0000RCQLSXGg9Gg.jpg

Climbing up looking for a suitable spot for dinner.
I000040aRVB7z17c.jpg

I0000FkoJ1pMLx6s.jpg

I00002d65ggdzFAU.jpg

This looks like a good spot…
I000088PXOLPT3Pc.jpg

I0000ABywoeEHmQ0.jpg

I00000gzah32T1Xo.jpg

I0000G1tRT43VTWE.jpg

I0000UoRcTX9NfUg.jpg

The mist started to roll in so it was time to head back down to the village.
I00008WHkiCzZY.w.jpg

I00004Rp8UEQYLBI.jpg

Jeeps rest before the following day's long drive into Switzerland.
I0000X4aj0i3fs3o.jpg

Pics to come...

crossed-up

Observer
Thanks Morgan, I’m very impressed with the Renegade. My GC has been off the road pretty much since returning from this trip so we’ve done a couple of solo outings in it. It’s like a little mountain goat :) My brother has been on a parallel storage system evolution to mine in the GC too. His is a bit more modular than mine though.

I0000qbXTLnJ29xw.jpg

Meanwhile, back in Switzerland.....
Arrived in Grächen after another long day on the road. Mostly on motorways but some nice scenery along the way around Lake Geneva.
I0000MqFqGrakEyw.jpg

The following day we took a hike into the mountains starting with a cable car ride.
I0000OSl3G4MrSWY.jpg

A solitary Pinzgauer
I0000tUF.z7scDII.jpg

I0000Z2onq68VUo4.jpg

I0000A5lQllLQmms.jpg

I0000MJh6LuykNPU.jpg

High above the town
I0000yZ5OHhfY2WA.jpg

I0000OHbTQSo8A8Q.jpg

I00003DCkjkg4Tho.jpg

The long way down - no cable car this time!
I0000km9928zsuio.jpg

I0000rjr_VM68FnY.jpg

I0000BAYetRvtGp0.jpg

I0000XihBzdAtu30.jpg

Back in town for beer and fondue
I0000ZzrlTpXcV_k.jpg

I0000d1KibLP_zQc.jpg

Final stop, the Matterhorn...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member