2018 Your Pick: Expedition Base Vehicle Recommendations

erstwild

Hello All-

I have spent a great deal of time and research this past year looking at all the available options in the U.S. market for a suitable platform for a small and reasonably capable expedition camper with following features:

1. Reliability, ease of finding maintenance, and readily available replacement parts
2. Safety, driving comfort (no earplugs, handle highway speeds, automatic transmission), and some fuel economy (15 mpg +)
3. 4-wheel drive capability (not rock crawling but handle bad fire roads and snow) and under 18 feet long
4. Camper suitable for 1-2 people (6'2") with basic storage (no big toys) and necessities (fridge, portapotty, no kitchen, 5 gallon jerry can outdoor shower) with pass through and truly 4 season ready for anywhere in continental US. I plan to live in this full-time for the foreseeable future in everything from urban to rural areas.
5. Budget friendly (I'll pay for quality but not as much as a house!)

Here are some of the options I have looked at so far:

Truck Campers:

Pros:
-easy to install to existing vehicles
-easy to move between vehicles in the future
-pop ups allow for better aerodynamics and fuel economy
-good 4x4 options

Cons:
-limited stock small pickup payload capacity
-elimination of preferred regular cabs by many makers recently
-pass through either not available or expensive to modify
-styling is dated and materials quality seem questionable in many models (IMHO)
-noise and water insulation not good enough for soft side pop ups (IMHO)

Closest best fit segment option:
I do like the XPCamper V2 design, but I would really like a pass through and am less interested in having to buy a truck + flatbed + camper for expense.

Vans:

Pros:
-inherently good usable space
-obligatory pass through
-decent fuel economy
-a lot of aftermarket equipment and builders
-can be made somewhat "stealthy"

Cons:
-limited 4x4 options (Mercedes 4x4 Sprinter in deliberately short supply $54k ?!), quigley and other conversions limited capability for the money (IMHO).
-van image "reputation" (IMHO)

Mercedes Sprinter 4x4 High Roof, but it is extremely expensive, expensive maintenance, and have heard too many horror stories about the diesel emissions malfunctions (did I say expensive)

"Vintage" 4x4 Trucks:

Pros:
-Some designs are extremely 4x4 capable (portal axle designs)
-Simpler mechanical designs (maintain yourself potentially on something that is still in good shape)
-Real deals to be had in some cases
-Some cool small footprints which are hard to find on modern vehicles

Cons:
-Limited service options and parts availability in many cases
-Many can run extremely "rough" by modern standards (noise, ride, etc.)
-Safety is a genuine concern in many cases (particularly cab overs)
-Automatic transmission is frequently not an option (or a very premium option)

Closest best fit segment options:
Pinzgauer but it very hard to find an automatic for a reasonable price, safety is a bit iffy, slow for extended highway driving, parts, etc.

Modern 4x4 Flatbed Trucks:

Pros:
-Very heavy duty designs (Fuso, etc.)
-Automatic transmissions available
-Availability of fleet maintenance options
-Availability of very nice basic camper shell options (https://totalcomposites.com/expedition-trucks-rvs/)

Cons:
-Expensive
-Large (over my desired 18ft)
-Cabover safety?

Mitsubishi Fuso with a Total Composites Shell ,but is a bit expensive, longer, cabover, and I have heard of diesel emissions system malfunctions

I'd would appreciate it if you all have any other platform option recommendations that I might not have come across or to opine on some of my characterizations!

grizzlyj

Tea pot tester
Hi
You don't say how long a Sprinter you might consider, but if you slightly box out the rear side windows (someone makes the panels) you "can" sleep across the vehicle. That all by itself frees up a lot of interior space, and you can stand up. The only old 4x4 Sprinter I looked at buying had the whole front axle lowered, so under diff was the same approximate clearance as a 4x2.
If you sleep along the length of a Pinz you won't have much spare room to the bulkhead behind the front seats and you can't stand up.
Living in the back of the Pinz would require a lot of dedication, an insulated truck camper not so much. You could insulate most of a Sprinter but not the cab to a high level, so will you be following the sun?
A Pinz is built like a tank though, so very safe in some ways, obviously not in others!

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
I'd throw my vote solidly in the truck camper bucket; seems to tick all the boxes except maybe the good mileage and pass thru, both of which might be overrated but everyone thinks they need. Setting up a comfortable TC for safe driving requires more truck than most think, imo. (Outside of the popups)

But I like this package because modular and versatile. You can change the truck or the camper if you want and keep the other. You can sell them separately. You can take off the camper in base camp and drive the truck around, and use the camper on its own. You can use the truck as a daily driver or work vehicle if not camping. If you like regular cabs, there are strong cheap work trucks available which are great matches for TC weight. There are good 4 season brands available for years now.

And it just seems to me that some of the best designers are put to work on TC's - the utilization of space is amazing.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I'd throw my vote solidly in the truck camper bucket; seems to tick all the boxes except maybe the good mileage and pass thru, both of which might be overrated but everyone thinks they need. Setting up a comfortable TC for safe driving requires more truck than most think, imo. (Outside of the popups)

But I like this package because modular and versatile. You can change the truck or the camper if you want and keep the other. You can sell them separately. You can take off the camper in base camp and drive the truck around, and use the camper on its own. You can use the truck as a daily driver or work vehicle if not camping. If you like regular cabs, there are strong cheap work trucks available which are great matches for TC weight. There are good 4 season brands available for years now.

And it just seems to me that some of the best designers are put to work on TC's - the utilization of space is amazing.

I agree with you. Both my wife and I would love a Sprinter 4x4, but it seems like a truck/camper combo makes more sense on almost every aspect - except styling.

We're thinking of a Dodge 3500 SRW with the smaller BigFoot 1500. This is for long extended travel, not hard core offroading.

Last edited:

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
^ "except styling"

Lol - true I guess. My wife thinks TC's scream, "old dude camping alone with maybe a dog".

Even after we lived happily in one together for a year

javajoe79

Fabricator
If I was doing a smaller platform build it would be a van like a sportmobile for sure. Sprinter type vans are nice but not appealing to me and are too much work to fit large tires. Much simpler than a drop in camper in a pickup.

erstwild

Thanks everyone. I am definitely seeing a truck camper theme developing. Out of the currently pickup truck offerings, what do folks like for flatbed conversion options, solid payload, good pricing? I'm thinking of mounting a total composites shell on a flatbed pickup truck. Seems like the best compromise between truck camper and van. Thoughts?

Gidi

This is probably the most important decision you will make. You need to determine your requirements and define the limits. My main criteria in making the decision:
1) Simplicity to Repair if something breaks
2) Aircon
3) 4WD
4) Under 3500kg ... Border and Park costs are crazy with a truck
5) 2400mm min length and 1800mm width

I built 3 prototypes before making the investment and building a vehicle I really wanted.

This has been a 5 year process and finally got everything ready for a trip that started on 11 April for almost a month. What I can say experience counts.

I built the camper on the new Mahindra 4WD pickup and it is excellent. We done over 8000km through Namibia of which about 6000km was on gravel roads.

Some things that really worked:
1) Replaced the shocks with Bilstein mono shocks
2) Chopped the roof to allow a walk through from the cab
3) Fiammi awning
4) Door on the side (NOT the back)
5) Large Windows (For photography)

No issues at all except replenishing the Wiper water

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
2017+ Ford F250 XL Fx4 CCSB and a light camper. (or a 23' TT since slide in campers have piss poor fun/cost ratio) F350 CCLB for a bigger slide in camper. Skip the diesel and other assorted unnecessary frivolities, and it's a $38,000 truck. Right now, most campgrounds are parking lots. So I'd rather tow a trailer, drop it, and wheel the truck. Or better yet, unload my DRZ400s and ride that.

Drove a Mercedes Sprinter Van cross country. It's a bus for big families going skiing or something. No way I'd want to expo in one.

I prefer hard wall campers as there is always one schmuck with a pathetic loud generator, that he just absolutely has to run all night. Don't get hung up on a "pass through", it's useless.

Capri's campers are light, spartan, reasonably priced campers.
https://capricamper.com/models/retreat/

Last edited:

erstwild

You are too broad... narrow it down...what is your budget?

Apologies, I had forgotten about this posting. Here is my current pick I am planning on doing later this Summer:

2018 Ford F-150 Regular Cab 4x4 with 8 foot Bed (Large gas tank, skid plates, rear view camera, etc.)
Install a Breezer Window with Passthrough Boot: https://www.breezerwindows.com/camper-shells.html
Get a bare Tufport T72 (6' 3" interior height) shell: http://www.tufport.com/utility-adventure
Get a SpaceKap Diablo shell: http://www.spacekap.com/model-diablo/ (I actually like the styling a bit better, there is a urethane foam insulation option, and more accessory options)

Then I'll finish the interior myself.

Last edited:

motoboss

Bad Influence
Apologies, I had forgotten about this posting. Here is my current pick I am planning on doing later this Summer:

2018 Ford F-150 Regular Cab 4x4 with 8 foot Bed (Large gas tank, skid plates, rear view camera, etc.)
Install a Breezer Window with Passthrough Boot: https://www.breezerwindows.com/camper-shells.html
Get a bare Tufport T72 (6' 3" interior height) shell: http://www.tufport.com/utility-adventure

Then I'll finish the interior myself.
Love the final direction you've chose, however. Don't go F150 go at least F250. Your return will be much greater, greater load capacity and a much more "stout" solid feel while driving. I wore out a F150 any my 2002 F250 was like new when I sold it last year with near 200k on it either carrying a solid wall slide in camper or pulling a 16 foot trailer, or both at times.
The only mistake I made was ordering it with a V10 which was awesome power and toque but man did it love gas!, 8mpg, 10mpg on a great day.
Cry once and don't look back. Just my $.02

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
My trucks cargo capacity is 3100#. A 250 diesel, with a few frivolous options, is often only a piddly 2000# cargo capacity. Barely enough for that camper when it's loaded. I doubt an F150 will work well. Even if you're within the sticker rating, it'll be wobble and roll city.

A 350 is 4000#+. If you have neither the truck, nor the camper, go F350. You can swap to softer springs later, but you can never increase a trucks sticker ratings. You can add springs to an F150, but "You can't fix the sticker."

Although, a gas F250 should be fine with that camper. Diesel and F250, is almost always a bad combo. The fat engine eats too much of the stickers cargo capacity.

erstwild

Love the final direction you've chose, however. Don't go F150 go at least F250. Your return will be much greater, greater load capacity and a much more "stout" solid feel while driving. I wore out a F150 any my 2002 F250 was like new when I sold it last year with near 200k on it either carrying a solid wall slide in camper or pulling a 16 foot trailer, or both at times.
The only mistake I made was ordering it with a V10 which was awesome power and toque but man did it love gas!, 8mpg, 10mpg on a great day.
Cry once and don't look back. Just my $.02

That is definitely a great point to note. Luckily, I think I will be OK for my purposes with a 2018 F-150. I did some digging and a 2018 F-150 Regular Cab with 8 foot bed, V8, 4x4, and heavy payload option come to a nearly 3000 lb payload capacity. Considering the SpaceKap Diablo 8' weighs in at 850 lbs and I am planning to keep my build very minimal, I think that should work OK for me. Excellent point to keep in mind though. "can't change the sticker"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke