2023 Ford Raptor- Continuation

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
It's the perferct "expo" accessory. It reinforces the fascade that one is a world traveling explorer... Along with the cool guy hat ans zip off pants :)
:( I love my zip off pants..... I can go from shorts in the hot day to pants in the cooler evenings...

You also get a pair of pants and a pair of shorts for just the price of a pair of pants. It's like a two for one deal. They just make good financial sense. What's not to like?

D

Deleted member 9101

:( I love my zip off pants..... I can go from shorts in the hot day to pants in the cooler evenings... What's not to like?

While I envy the utility of a two in one garment... Sadly my legs are to enticing to mosquitoes for them to ever be left bare whilst camping.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
Next mod? Gotta look the part...

Too expensive. Get some dryer ducting, hole saw and duct tape.

5c8806da601a5.image.jpg

Remember to keep your stick on the ice!

McCarthy

Is it riding season yet?
I've had a bit of a change of heart. I've spent so much time trying to find the perfect solution, and I think it's been right in front of me the entire time (and suggested a BUNCH on here as well) Cargo trailer. Front half i'll build out as camper, back half garage. How hard is it to flip axles?

D

Deleted member 9101

I've had a bit of a change of heart. I've spent so much time trying to find the perfect solution, and I think it's been right in front of me the entire time (and suggested a BUNCH on here as well) Cargo trailer. Front half i'll build out as camper, back half garage. How hard is it to flip axles?

Just have to weld new perches. You can also buy "drop axles."

McCarthy

Is it riding season yet?
I love my job but it gets really stressful at times. Need to get away for a while and recharge, so I decided to take an unplanned vacation. Likely going to head down to the Phoenix area (family has a house there i’ll borrow) for a week or so in mid March.

I’m definitely going to bring a quad and the dirt bike. Really looking forward to riding again, as we have 3 feet of snow up here right now... I’m assuming there’s about as much riding as one could ever want in the area? Nothing finer than a fast desert wash into some technical rocks. Counting down the days

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
There is a couple that camps with us that used a converted cargo trailer for many years. The nice thing about "rolling your own" with a cargo trailer is that you can fit it out with exactly what you want and not what the RV manufacturer THINKS you want.

WRT the trailer limiting where you go - there's no rule that says you absolutely HAVE to drag the trailer everywhere the truck goes. We've never had a problem finding a relatively smooth, level place to camp that was "close enough" to the areas where we wanted to play that it was an issue. So you camp a little differently: Instead of finding that "perfect" isolated campground, deep, deep in the back country, you find a "good enough" campsite that is off the beaten path but still on a relatively smooth dirt road. You set up camp and use the truck to explore.

I've never owned a slide-in camper and can't think of any reason why I'd want one, unless maybe I was pulling a trailer that had toys on it. Really, when you look at how much a slide in will limit you, you might as well go for a Class C RV. They're bigger and more comfortable, and you're not really going to be taking that truck with the slide-in camper on any tough trails either.

I suppose if you needed a "year round" camper a slide in might be good because your plumbing is in between the camper and the bed and you can insulate it so it doesn't freeze.

We've been trailer campers for 8 years now and it works well for us in the Rocky Mountains. We pick a place we want to set up camp and then once we've established our "base" we have the tow vehicle for our day trips and adventures, while still being able to leave the trailer set up at the base camp.

WRT travel trailer quality - I would agree that for the most part it's not good. Yes, there's the old "you get what you pay for" issue for the cheaper trailers but you'd be surprised at how many people with $100,000 Airstreams or $500,000 Class A Prevost motor homes have serious build quality issues right from the start.

I would rate our Forest River R-Pod 179 at about 6 on a scale of 1 - 10. Our Little Guy T@B was probably an 8. Good quality (especially the cabinetry) but very costly for such a tiny trailer. Our R-Pod is a "Hood River Edition", made in the Oregon factory, and from what I've seen those tend to have somewhat higher quality (may be because they are a lower-volume producer.) At least most of the serious QC issues I see on the R-Pod facebook group seems to affect the Indiana-built trailers (then again, they build more trailers so maybe that's why they have more problems.)

Since we have the HRE version of the Pod we got a 3" raised suspension and Westlake "Off Road" 15" tires. We've had it on some mildly washboard-y Forest Service and BLM roads and it's done fine - needless to say we go VEERY slow on those sections because we don't want the trailer to rattle itself apart.

But overall we have nothing to complain about. Minor fit and finish issues, yes, but the trailer works fine for us. We're on year 3 with it and hope to get at least 7 more years (until I retire.) At that point, we will reassess what we need.

Cheyenne Mountain State Park, Colorado, April 2018:

Cheyenne Mountain Reduced.jpg

Goosenecks State Park, UT, October 2018:

goosenecks reduced.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier

Members online