2023 Ford Raptor- Continuation

McCarthy

Is it riding season yet?
Technically on paper, a full hard side camper is a lot for a half ton. The ones i'm looking at are about 1900lbs wet. That's within the stock payload capacity, (1911 lbs) and yes I know, gear, fuel, people, coolers etc would put me about 600lbs over weight, but a nice set of airbag would take care of that.

The FWC being 1200lbs wet is the interesting one. Leaves me a mile of room if I throw bags on the truck. I actually have another thread on here about finding a travel trailer, but i've yet to succeed on that one. So much junk that would get rattled apart off road. That's where the camper is nice, a good set of shocks on the truck and it'll be just fine.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
With the short short bed that 1,200-1900 pounds is going to be resting all on your back axles/tires. Airbags do nothing to change that.

McCarthy

Is it riding season yet?
Of course they don’t. They’ll deal with the squatting and porpoising that much weight typically causes. Don’t really care what the GVWR says. It’s not a commercial vehicle so it’ll never be weighed.

I see so many campers in Tacoma’s and other mid size trucks that have dramatically less capability than an F150. But if it doesn’t work the way I want it, i’ll of course re-evaluate. I haven’t decided 100% which way I’m going.

I work for an auto manufacturer so I’ve had everything under the sun as a company truck, I really don’t enjoy daily driving a one ton.

Last edited:

Grassland

How are you liking the 6000 series Bilstein? Especially paired with 5100 in the rear?

For travel trailers, there are decent ones, but the price is significantly higher than all the mainstream junk. (Thor and Forest River own probably over half the RV brands in North America)

Consider an Escape 19 or 21, or if you have even more funds than that, an Oliver.
These are all fiberglass monocoque trailers, strong for the weight, but not everyone cup of tea.

Our short list is down to Escape 17a, 19, and possibly a Trailmarker Up&Out because I don't want a heavy huge trailer. We want to tow with my 3.7 F150 or my wife's 3.6 Grand Cherokee.

All easily within the range of your F150.

McCarthy

Is it riding season yet?
I've looked at the Escape and Oliver stuff, I just can't get over the way they look like they're from the 80's... Of course, function over form, but that much money for something I hate the look of... This is why I haven't purchased anything yet lol.

If I don't go with a camper, I may just pick up a Jayco baja w/ arctic package (better suspension, and insulated) Not built very well, unfortunately. Weight isn't really a concern to be honest, my truck is rated to tow 12,700lbs, and the heaviest trailers i'm looking at are about 7500lbs, so miles of ceiling. I towed a 34' 12,000lb trailer all over the rockies with my last truck (18 F150, same options basically as this truck) and it did just fine.

D

Deleted member 9101

I've looked at the Escape and Oliver stuff, I just can't get over the way they look like they're from the 80's... Of course, function over form, but that much money for something I hate the look of... This is why I haven't purchased anything yet lol.

If I don't go with a camper, I may just pick up a Jayco baja w/ arctic package (better suspension, and insulated) Not built very well, unfortunately. Weight isn't really a concern to be honest, my truck is rated to tow 12,700lbs, and the heaviest trailers i'm looking at are about 7500lbs, so miles of ceiling. I towed a 34' 12,000lb trailer all over the rockies with my last truck (18 F150, same options basically as this truck) and it did just fine.

I've always had "cheap" travel trailers... Never had a problem with them. Buuuut I also don't abuse them or drag them down rough dirt roads.

Grassland

Escape lets you customize between two different wood looks, and many different counter top and fabric choices.
Plus for increased cost you can supply your own fabrics and counter tops provided they are acceptable/compatible.
For us, the trailers are already at the top of our budget, so adding custom options isn't a priority, but I agree that the default styling is dated. (I grew up with ugly 80s oak cabinets)

Oliver is it's own beast. Don't care for their layouts, and the price is beyond what we can comfortably afford or justify at this point, but the idea of a double hulled trailer intrigues me.

Without beating a dead horse further, just remember your tow rating on paper and what it will actually be with a modded and loaded up truck are two different things.
That being said my F150 was over payload at least 50% of the time for four consecutive years.... ?

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I've always had "cheap" travel trailers... Never had a problem with them. Buuuut I also don't abuse them or drag them down rough dirt roads.
Same here. Ours is a Forest River Flagstaff. We found it was a good compromise for build quality vs price.

I dragged it down one pretty rough road.... Due to a detour caused by construction. The only thing I noted is the pantry and bathroom cabinet doors opened up.

The biggest hindrance I could see for dragging it down any really rough roads are that the tank drains hang quite low.

Last edited:

MOguy

Explorer
Now, the disappointing part. The more I research travel trailers and the inherent issues that come with them (size, usually poor construction, parking etc) the more i'm leaning towards a slide in, pop up camper option. I've found a bunch of FWC options that will be absolutely perfect. When I bought this truck, I had never intended to go the camper route, so I bought a short bed (5.5') to keep the overall length of the truck + travel trailer as short as possible. Now that i'm leaning camper, I need a 6.5' bed. This will be a shorter term truck than originally intended due to this, likely 12-18 months. Once the camper is in my driveway, I will order a new truck.

Unless, of course, do you guys think buying a 6.5' box FWC and leaving the tailgate on and open (with support rods) an option?

My dad went from a bumper pull camper to a slide in camper and hated it. Truck and camper always stuck at the campsite. Camper in the truck when you need the bed to move something. It became a PIA.

Get a toy hauler / camper.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
My dad went from a bumper pull camper to a slide in camper and hated it. Truck and camper always stuck at the campsite. Camper in the truck when you need the bed to move something. It became a PIA.

Get a toy hauler / camper.
Yes. Plus it's a pain to have to drop a slide in at camp if you want to be able to tool around without having to bring everything with you.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
So much junk that would get rattled apart off road. That's where the camper is nice, a good set of shocks on the truck and it'll be just fine.

Good luck with that. A hundred miles of severe washboard-covered road will vibrate/tear apart stuff you never dreamed of. Ask me how I know!

Never owned a travel trailer or toy hauler so I don't know how they handle washboards. Could be if equipped with tandem axles that could smooth out the ride somewhat. But I've hauled a slide-in camper for years.

phsycle

Adventurer
But I’d rather not have to deal with dragging a big trailer on the trails to get to the camp site. So I’d personally lean towards a slide in, which is the way I’ll go when it comes time to purchase an extended travel “retirement” rig.

But right now, we’re ground tenting it. Been working fine so far. Plus the kids like it more.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
But I’d rather not have to deal with dragging a big trailer on the trails to get to the camp site. So I’d personally lean towards a slide in, which is the way I’ll go when it comes time to purchase an extended travel “retirement” rig.

But right now, we’re ground tenting it. Been working fine so far. Plus the kids like it more.
Yep, different things will work for different people. I get not wanting to drag a big trailer through trails. But, doesn't this look fun:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior