2019 Ford Ranger Taking Orders

Clutch

<---Pass
I was just kidding about the fake book, it is what it is, and yes I am probably missing out on things.....

I swear it seems Ford makes their vehicles so an average consumer can't work on it. As far as the Superduty diesel, yeah, nightmare to work on. They don't design the cab to easily come off for no reason. Ever look under the hood of a 6.7 SD? o_O:LOL:

Ohhh...kid away...it is mostly rubbish. Do follow some astronomy, archeological, atlas obscura, type pages...some good stuff. But have to sift through quite a bit of trash.

Man don't they! It is what they want...heck most of the manufactures want you to bring it in.

Client of mine just bought a Jeep XJ for that very reason, wants something he can fix himself.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I was just kidding about the fake book, it is what it is, and yes I am probably missing out on things.....

I swear it seems Ford makes their vehicles so an average consumer can't work on them. As far as the Superduty diesel, yeah, nightmare to work on. They don't design the cab to easily come off for no reason. Ever look under the hood of a 6.7 SD? o_O:LOL:
Yeah its 10lbs in a 5lb bag for sure. If I look at the right angle I can see a motor under there somewhere.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
There's nothing much under the hood of a Ford diesel, that a shade tree mechanic needs to get to.
But still, that looks like a few hours of fun just to get to the tstat.

The gas 6.2 has room to spare though. You can reach entirely around the engine. Fan clutch looks like a pita.

diesel:
maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer
There's nothing much under the hood of a Ford diesel, that a shade tree mechanic needs to get to.
But still, that looks like a few hours of fun just to get to the tstat.

The gas 6.2 has room to spare though. You can reach entirely around the engine. Fan clutch looks like a pita.

diesel:
maxresdefault.jpg

The problem is when something breaks down, someone will need to get into it, and the process won't be easy or cheap....Ford really could go a little further in making their stuff more accessible for non-OEM engineers.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Actually, they have. Most of that clutter isn't hard to remove, once you know how. And the reversed heads are glorious. But if you have to get into the long block or the HPP, the cab has to come off.

They should just set these trucks up like a cab over semi. Pop a few latches or bolts at the rear of the cab and simply raise the whole thing up and forward with a simple jack. Cab over semi's were brilliant.

Clutch

<---Pass
They should just set these trucks up like a cab over semi. Pop a few latches or bolts at the rear of the cab and simply raise the whole thing up and forward with a simple jack. Cab over semi's were brilliant.

Never happen, seems like here in America we love to take something practical and make it totally unpractical. Then the safety nazis and soft handed comfort queens would loose their bowel control over COE. We have a become a nation of wussies...we sure do like to act and look tough though. :):p

I have always wanted a Toyota Hiace/Dyna.

How nice would this be to work on?

1122632212.jpg

There was one here in Boise for sale.

That or get a Fuso.

3c15033b8adb3cf7b06e6d37dae2b553.jpg

Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer
Actually, they have. Most of that clutter isn't hard to remove, once you know how. And the reversed heads are glorious. But if you have to get into the long block or the HPP, the cab has to come off.

You admit that there is a lot of "clutter" to remove and that the cab has to come off for certain procedures, and yet you don't think these Fords are expensive or difficult to work on?

Do you not see the contradiction there?

I know Ford isn't the only company that has been making it difficult to work on vehicles, but certainly trucks like the F-250/350 are a good example of that trend within the automotive industry.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I didn't say that. Where did I say Ford diesels aren't expensive?

Tear one down, then do a gm or dodge, then do a tear down on a Ford 6.0 or 6.4. The 6.7 is nicer than the old Fords in every way. A bit nicer than the gm, a little harder than the dodge.

The GM's require cab removal as well for something like head gaskets. And it's even harder to work on.

You have two choices with the Dodge. Cab removal and easy engine access. Or leave the cab on, remove the front, get back surgery, and painkiller addiction. Nice to have options, even if both suck.

Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer
I didn't say that. Where did I say Ford diesels aren't expensive? What's your point? Do you think Ford is alone in this?

The GM's require cab removal as well for something like head gaskets. And it's even harder to work on.

You have two choices with the Dodge. Cab removal and easy engine access. Or leave the cab on, remove the front, get back surgery, and painkiller addiction. Nice to have options, even if both suck.

This issue is not exclusive to just the Powerstroke Super Duty's. And I did say that Ford wasn't alone in this issue; their trucks are indicative of it however.

You can get an engine access dolly to lean on for working on an engine bay with cab on...it's not that big of a deal.

Clutch

<---Pass
You admit that there is a lot of "clutter" to remove and that the cab has to come off for certain procedures, and yet you don't think these Fords are expensive or difficult to work on?

Do you not see the contradiction there?

I know Ford isn't the only company that has been making it difficult to work on vehicles, but certainly trucks like the F-250/350 are a good example of that trend within the automotive industry.
I didn't say that. Where did I say Ford diesels aren't expensive? What's your point? Do you think Ford is alone in this?

Believe all vehicles became a pain to work on as soon as they started adding emmision equipment. Remember chasing vacuum leaks? Our '76 F250 I could practically sit in the engine bay, the '84 Bronco was a pain in the neck...

Though not having high noon look like midnight sure is nice. Or a quarter 'til Noon according to the clock in this picture. :D

Pittsburgh, PA at the height of steel production. Thank goodness we shipped all that to China...

eb3a1489f524d26523630bf6fa417901.jpg

Last edited:

Motohead1

I was overseas years ago in Africa and saw simple diesel quad cab trucks everywhere including the "new to the US" Ranger. Fact is if you want it all , whatever your "all" is, you will for the most part have to build it yourself.

Clutch

<---Pass
Fact is if you want it all , whatever your "all" is, you will for the most part have to build it yourself.

Certainly, there is nothing stopping us from building exactly what we want...especially here in the US, can still for the most part get away with just about anything.

The only true thing holding us back is ourselves. All the guys who say they want to work on their own vehicles really don't. Myself included. Much rather being doing something else than spinning wrenches...as my neighbor down the street has a bunch of old Chevy's that they are constantly working on. As I sit here typing on my laptop inside our warm house looking out the living-room window watching them... :D

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Believe all vehicles became a pain to work on as soon as they started adding emmision equipment. Remember chasing vacuum leaks? Our '76 F250 I could practically sit in the engine bay, the '84 Bronco was a pain in the neck...

Though not having high noon look like midnight sure is nice. Or a quarter 'til Noon according to the clock in this picture. :D

Pittsburgh, PA at the height of steel production. Thank goodness we shipped all that to China...

eb3a1489f524d26523630bf6fa417901.jpg
That photo of Pittsburgh was taken during the height of production during WWII when the mills were 24/7 all year and even then it wasn't an everyday occurrence. Similar stuff still happens lots of places, even today here in Colorado, over in Denver especially, they'll be a temperature inversion that traps a bubble of cold air smog under warm air. The fires last summer make our air here in Grand Junction look almost as bad and there's only 60k of us here.

p1042357074-3.jpg

Clutch

<---Pass
That photo of Pittsburgh was taken during the height of production during WWII when the mills were 24/7 all year and even then it wasn't an everyday occurrence. Similar stuff still happens lots of places, even today here in Colorado, over in Denver especially, they'll be a temperature inversion that traps a bubble of cold air smog under warm air. The fires last summer make our air here in Grand Junction look almost as bad and there's only 60k of us here.

View attachment 489115

We get a bad inversion here in Boise during the winter....but just imagine if none of our vehicles didn't have emission equipment. We would look like some cities in China more often than not. Pollution is so bad over there that it effects us.

https://weather.com/science/environment/news/china-emissions-reach-america

Yeah, forest fire season here is awful.

Ever watch Idiot Abroad? Everyone here complaining about manufacturing being sent to China.

At about minute 12:15 he sums it up...

Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer
China is literally the only place where I've seen a "bad air quality" warning on my phone's weather app...they've really done a number on their environment.

And as much as they talk about going towards EV's, I truly wonder if they'll be able to remediate their environmental issues.

That's the big discrepancy between us and many other developing nations....we have the capability to manufacture and produce goods, but we have a lot more regulations (especially environmental and labor) to deal with, whereas many other countries (China being a prime example) have little redtape to deal with (outside of getting the Party's blessing).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94