2019 Ford Ranger Taking Orders

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Why does a tough, durable truck have to be uncomfortable? Or, I guess, more accurately, what's wrong with having a tough, durable truck that also has heated seats? I agree with @tacollie 's little brother. A truck that makes me comfortable enables me to do more work or have more fun when I get wherever I'm going.

Maybe everyone's point of view is different. But high end trimmed models aren't so comfy when:

-you realize that mud dried on the carpet, ain't just mud
-the salty snow on your backside dries up and ruins the leather. Turning it to hard plastic that cracks.
-the heated seats turn on in 100 degree heat on the bridges leading to Key West, and it'll be a while until you get a safe place to pull over and pull the fuse
-you realize that the AC plumbing and butt massager in the seat, ain't as soft as just a foam cushion.
-it's a typhoon in the dark, and your dash won't dim
-the moon roof leaks all over your interior, but only on days where the roof of the truck is coated with sea gull poo.

-the $4000 automatic Platinum tailgate opens itself up on the freeway and dents itself on your trailer jack while all your underwear and toilet paper get vacuumed out of the back of the truck in the desert, or canada, 3 days of your itinerary from civilization.

Lol. 1st world problems.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Maybe everyone's point of view is different. But high end trimmed models aren't so comfy when:

-you realize that mud dried on the carpet, ain't just mud
-the salty snow on your backside dries up and ruins the leather. Turning it to hard plastic that cracks.
-the heated seats turn on in 100 degree heat on the bridges leading to Key West, and it'll be a while until you get a safe place to pull over and pull the fuse
-you realize that the AC plumbing and butt massager in the seat, ain't as soft as just a foam cushion.
-it's a typhoon in the dark, and your dash won't dim
-the moon roof leaks all over your interior, but only on days where the roof of the truck is coated with sea gull poo.

-the $4000 automatic Platinum tailgate opens itself up on the freeway and dents itself on your trailer jack while all your underwear and toilet paper get vacuumed out of the back of the truck in the desert, or canada, 3 days of your itinerary from civilization.

Lol. 1st world problems.
All that stuff is true of modern cars, too. It's not easy to find a basic car other than the Korean econoboxes. I mean just a car that is a good honest car without a bazillion "features".

Clutch

<---Pass
These two statements seem contradictory. Have you ever seen what kids do to vehicles? lol
Ha ha! You got me! :D Even more reason a trucks interior should be rubber and vinyl.

LOL. I must be getting old or the world is wearing me down. I replaced the stock AM/FM/CD stereo in my truck a couple of months ago with one that mainly didn't skip but also talks iPod, has a USB interface (man, I love having 64 GB of music) and can link using Bluetooth. I paired my phone and did a hand's free call. I feel compromised, I didn't hate the experience and caught myself thinking what the TacomaWorld knuckleheads mean when they talk about the Tech Package on a new Tacoma.

Who are you and what have you done with that retro-grouch curmudgen @DaveInDenver

I agree about who is buying these days. I mean look at the interiors now. Freaking back massagers available in the Super Duty. Huh??? I want wall to wall vinyl!

Be nice to get 'em super basic, with steel, rubber mats and vinyl seats. Like a Minecat.

images.jpg

minecat-lv241-underground-utility-truck-b50-073.3_f.jpg

DaveInDenver

Well that doesn't look comfy for a road trip. I think I'll stick to base XLT / SLT type pick ups. I do like to have a few comforts...
Manual windows / locks with kids would suck.
No kidding, that's surplus HMMWV level torture. Nuts to that. I don't mind not having to yell at my passenger at 45 MPH, thankyouverymuch. I want simple and reliable, not Mad Max stark minimalist. My '91 came with carpet and a bench seat and what did I do? Kept the carpet and retrofitted nice bucket seats. It's not having a slightly comfortable interior that irritates me but that this Taco interior is just so styled and busy. Dials aren't easy to read being so deep and all the plastic but still manages to have so few places to stash stuff. Meh.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
Well that doesn't look comfy for a road trip. I think I'll stick to base XLT / SLT type pick ups. I do like to have a few comforts...
Manual windows / locks with kids would suck.

We didn't have power windows or locks growing up...but somehow we survived! :D

You can still be comfortable and have nav, a radio, etc and still keep the interior basic.

Pre-runner trucks are a good example of that. Hey, this one is even called the Family Truckster.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/features/1711-1974-ford-f-100-the-family-truckster/

030-ford-f100-simpson-lowrance-icom-auto-meter-mastercraft-art-carr-cnc-pass-dash-close-up.jpg

005-ford-f100-simpson-lowrance-icom-auto-meter-mastercraft-art-carr-cnc-seats-close-up.jpg

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

That F100 may not really be all the comfortable (the article nails it by calling it no nonsense) but it sure is cool.

Clutch

<---Pass
No kidding, that's surplus HMMWV level torture. Nuts to that. I don't mind not having to yell at my passenger at 45 MPH, thankyouverymuch. I want simple and reliable, not Mad Max stark minimalist. My '91 came with carpet and a bench seat and what did I do? Kept the carpet and retrofitted nice bucket seats. It's not having a slightly comfortable interior that irritates me but that this Taco interior is just so styled and busy. Dials aren't easy to read being so deep and all the plastic but still manages to have so few places to stash stuff. Meh.

Not crazy about the 2nd Gen Tacoma's interior either. Don't mind plastic...but like you said, over stylize. Like the earlier trucks better. Simple and no nonsense.

That F100 may not really be all the comfortable (the article nails it by calling it no nonsense) but it sure is cool.

Buddy of mine had a Class 7 Toyota setup similar, it wasn't too bad....would hit 2-3' whoops like they weren't even there. On the street...it was like floating on air. In a regular truck the roads that would rattle the fillings out of your teeth, in his it rode like a Cadillac. Typical assjackery would entail bumping up over curbs and center medians like nothing....launch it over RR crossings. Was all fun and games until we rolled it one day...

Clutch

<---Pass
I love all the comments about how everyone wants a more basic vehicle. But then will say how bad the tundra is behind the other 3 with tech. The irony.

No kidding!

I would be very happy with interiors like a FJ40. Shoot...I find myself not even turning the radio on anymore. Certainly don't need all the electronic wizardry that most others demand.

DaveInDenver

I find myself not even turning the radio on anymore
You're surly at a high school level for sure. Having a decent stereo has always been important. Not Mark Levinson in a Lexus sort of thing but the '91 had an OK Alpine deck and Boston speakers. The new truck got an Alpine head unit, too. I likes me the music.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles