2019 Ford Ranger Taking Orders

Clutch

<---Pass
I remember not even having seat belts. My dad would stick his arm out in an emergency stop, like that was gonna stop us from flying through the windshield..:p:D

Dude! Remember riding the bed of his old F250 without a care in the world, used to beg to ride back there.

Didn't need power door locks, that is why you have kids. We used to have a Wagoneer, dad would tell us, "get up in there, and go unlock the door for your mother" You would scamper across the seat, unlock the door and lock it again so she couldn't open it. Do that a couple few times before she would threaten to ground you. Good times!

Last edited:

ultraclyde

Observer
meh. Maybe I've just lucked into vehicles that were built on the right day or used vehicles that were well cared for, but I've never had a vehicle where all the technology went toes up in the fashion everyone expects. The old Grand Cherokee sunroof never leaked, auto headlights worked fine, power memory seats were fine. Granted the heated seats didn't work and the leather was torn up but they are still perfectly comfortable . As for carpet and mud (or crap)...well, that's what full coverage floor mats are for. Carpet's not that hard to clean, and I'd damn sure still be cleaning the rubber floor if I got poop all over it. If you have to get salt and mud covered on a regular basis, why not throw a seat cover on the leather? You're going to destroy cloth seats too.

If I'm giving a truck to a construction crew, yeah, I get no options and a hose down interior. No one treats a company work truck like their own vehicle. No matter what you do it's going to be beat out and smell like dead animals in six months. But for a vehicle that needs to carry me 3 hours to the mountains before wheeling or 4 hours to the coast to launch a boat? Gimme luxury. My first truck was a '69 F100 with a big block, manual everything, drum brakes, standard trans, vinyl bench and rubber floors. Even the grill was just painted, not chrome. It was a great truck but was in no way something I'd want to do 3 hours on the interstate in.

New vehicles are generally built much better than old ones. Remember when a 100,000 mile car was basically worn out? I do. These days 200k is still a viable vehicle. I just think people blow it out of proportion.

tacollie

Glamper
I don't care if people want fancy interiors in trucks as long as they work. I give my little brother crap about is fancy truck because he thinks he is tough and because he is my little brother. I actually told him to get a fancy truck because he basically lives out of it.

Old truck interiors are fun but new truck interiors are better. They are also boring. Personally I have never had issues with electronics. Everything that has failed on a vehicle was mechanical. I have never had an issue with power windows but I've had a lot of crank windows with stripped handles.

When we would take my older bothers FJ40 snowboarding in high school we would put on all our gear at the house and then drive really slow for 3 hours freezing because the heater was nonexistent. Even after he put a V8 we still drive kind of slow because 75 in an FJ40 feels like 150.

Wallygator

Adventurer
I'm picking up what you are putting down but I'm honest with myself and realize I won't use 3/4's of all that "luxury" crap so why should I pay for it??? The seats are the same so I'm just as comfortable as I would be in a so called "luxury" truck. Most of the base model trucks come standard with power windows/locks, radio, A/C, and a few other things that will get used on a daily basis. I just don't see myself using the other stuff.

I can turn my own headlights on. I can still put the key in the slot and turn it.

Also I still believe driving is an analog task. I turn my head to change lanes, I pay attention to the road, I don't tailgate people, and I don't text or scan fake book while behind the wheel. So I don't need all the lane keeping, auto cruise, "safety" stuff. Why not save my money for aftermarket parts and accessories I will use?

The XL Ranger 4x4 with a rear locker, 101A package, and wall to wall vinyl is all I need. I will have thousands in my pocket to build it.

Or the Tradesman Ram with only the power wagon option. Thousands off a normal power wagon and only has the things I need.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
meh. Maybe I've just lucked into vehicles that were built on the right day or used vehicles that were well cared for, but I've never had a vehicle where all the technology went toes up in the fashion everyone expects. The old Grand Cherokee sunroof never leaked, auto headlights worked fine, power memory seats were fine. Granted the heated seats didn't work and the leather was torn up but they are still perfectly comfortable . As for carpet and mud (or crap)...well, that's what full coverage floor mats are for. Carpet's not that hard to clean, and I'd damn sure still be cleaning the rubber floor if I got poop all over it. If you have to get salt and mud covered on a regular basis, why not throw a seat cover on the leather? You're going to destroy cloth seats too.

If I'm giving a truck to a construction crew, yeah, I get no options and a hose down interior. No one treats a company work truck like their own vehicle. No matter what you do it's going to be beat out and smell like dead animals in six months. But for a vehicle that needs to carry me 3 hours to the mountains before wheeling or 4 hours to the coast to launch a boat? Gimme luxury. My first truck was a '69 F100 with a big block, manual everything, drum brakes, standard trans, vinyl bench and rubber floors. Even the grill was just painted, not chrome. It was a great truck but was in no way something I'd want to do 3 hours on the interstate in.

New vehicles are generally built much better than old ones. Remember when a 100,000 mile car was basically worn out? I do. These days 200k is still a viable vehicle. I just think people blow it out of proportion.

It really isn't the tech that I am against, it is missing the ability to hose it out like our work trucks. While I no longer work construction. I am in the dirt a lot, at least once or twice a week...and like to ride with the widows down in the dust sort of thing. Camping and off-roading is an inherently dirty activity. Don't quite get wanting a luxury interior for that. Our old earth moving equipment interiors were plate steel with a vinyl seat. Very hard to destroy...while those are on the extreme end of the spectrum. I am afraid to ride in the luxo boats. friend of mine was taking me for a ride in his BMW Alpina, I turn to him...yeah I don't think I should be allowed in this thing. Nice car, but too nice for me!

Dirt bike buddy of mine, wouldn't let me ride in his F250 with my moto-boots on for fear of ripping up his interior. Wasn't like I was going to put my feet up on the dash, was just going to sit there as we made a fuel run. What is the point of having a truck then if you're that afraid of screwing it up? He should probably take up croquet...

I don't use my truck for truck stuff. That's why I buy Toyota! It's also why I lurk in the Ranger and Colorado threads.

Depends where on the planet you own a Toyota. Here, yeah we don't use them like they do overseas.

6a00d83451b3c669e2014e86ba94f4970d-800wi

In 'Murica, it mostly stuff like this. Kinda funny that there is a constant battle between manufactures of who has the best payload, towing, and power. Yet for the most part we Americans will never come close to using it. As it is mostly chest thumping.

15327_406018463697_595568697_4993396_4411399_n.jpg

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
I can turn my own headlights on. I can still put the key in the slot and turn it.

Also I still believe driving is an analog task. I turn my head to change lanes, I pay attention to the road, I don't tailgate people, and I don't text or scan fake book while behind the wheel. So I don't need all the lane keeping, auto cruise, "safety" stuff. Why not save my money for aftermarket parts and accessories I will use?

The XL Ranger 4x4 with a rear locker, 101A package, and wall to wall vinyl is all I need. I will have thousands in my pocket to build it.

Or the Tradesman Ram with only the power wagon option. Thousands off a normal power wagon and only has the things I need.

This whole trying to make ourselves obsolete is odd to me. Guess if machines did all the work for us, it does give us more time to argue on the internet over how good the old days were. :D but yan know, I used to work a hell of a lot harder back then than I do now, like bloody calluses type of work, hmmmm....

Have been looking at the Ram too, something about an 8' bed with a Callen appeals to me. Though probably wouldn't do the PW package, add my own rear locker and winch and call it good. All this needs is some 35's. or 37's.

33estxy.jpg

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
GVWR really only comes into play with campers. My tow rating is always excessive. I think I'm good to tow 12,500# or something. If you plan on FWC'ing your Ranger, pay attention to that.

I was going to get Wet Okole seat covers for my truck. But I'm actually starting to like the Vinyl. And I can always get a "take off" OEM XL seat to replace the drivers seat when it wears out. Or just replace it's foam and cover. There's plenty of options down the road. Seat covers cost as much a 4 wheels, so.........

Clutch

<---Pass
GVWR really only comes into play with campers. My tow rating is always excessive. I think I'm good to tow 12,500# or something. If you plan on FWC'ing your Ranger, pay attention to that.

I was going to get Wet Okole seat covers for my truck. But I'm actually starting to like the Vinyl. And I can always get a "take off" OEM XL seat to replace the drivers seat when it wears out. Or just replace it's foam and cover. There's plenty of options down the road. Seat covers cost as much a 4 wheels, so.........

Since when do FWC owners care about GVWR? ;) :D

I’ll admit the new vinyl is pretty good.

I just put some ballastic canvas seats covers on mine, price wasn’t bad $180 or so. Wasn’t really to protect the seats, more like the old seats were getting so bad, that my wife didn’t want to ride in my truck anymore. I am not kidding when I say, I am hard on interiors.

Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
We didn't have power windows or locks growing up...but somehow we survived! :D

I remember not even having seat belts. My dad would stick his arm out in an emergency stop, like that was gonna stop us from flying through the windshield..:p:D

I was happy my first few cars had power steering and brakes as that was optional equipment on them! No power anything and no seat belts either. No POSI in them either.... Winters were fun... Good 'ol one wheel peel....

Clutch

<---Pass
I was happy my first few cars had power steering and brakes as that was optional equipment on them! No power anything and no seat belts either. No POSI in them either.... Winters were fun... Good 'ol one wheel peel....

The '72 F250 we had had power nuthin'...used to say that truck would put hair on your chest. The '76 F250 had power brakes and steering, man what an improvement. Both of those were work trucks and pretty much lived in the dirt, and never were driven on the highway. Back when we lived in a place were we needed 4WD just to get up the 1/2 mile long driveway in the winter.

tacollie

Glamper
It really isn't the tech that I am against, it is missing the ability to hose it out like our work trucks. While I no longer work construction. I am in the dirt a lot, at least once or twice a week...and like to ride with the widows down in the dust sort of thing. Camping and off-roading is an inherently dirty activity. Don't quite get wanting a luxury interior for that. Our old earth moving equipment interiors were plate steel with a vinyl seat. Very hard to destroy...while those are on the extreme end of the spectrum. I am afraid to ride in the luxo boats. friend of mine was taking me for a ride in his BMW Alpina, I turn to him...yeah I don't think I should be allowed in this thing. Nice car, but too nice for me!

Dirt bike buddy of mine, wouldn't let me ride in his F250 with my moto-boots on for fear of ripping up his interior. Wasn't like I was going to put my feet up on the dash, was just going to sit there as we made a fuel run. What is the point of having a truck then if you're that afraid of screwing it up? He should probably take up croquet...

Depends where on the planet you own a Toyota. Here, yeah we don't use them like they do overseas.

6a00d83451b3c669e2014e86ba94f4970d-800wi

In 'Murica, it mostly stuff like this. Kinda funny that there is a constant battle between manufactures of who has the best payload, towing, and power. Yet for the most part we Americans will never come close to using it. As it is mostly chest thumping.

View attachment 494217
The rest of the world use their cars like trucks. One thing I loved about NZ was all the people pulling campers with sedans!

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper

Clutch

<---Pass
The rest of the world use their cars like trucks. One thing I loved about NZ was all the people pulling campers with sedans!

True dat!

Aren't the tow ratings much higher on the Euro spec Subies than what we get? They get deezul too.

I'm pretty sure my old '95 Cadillac Fleetwood was rated to tow 7,000 lbs, lol. My old car looked just like this.

https://jalopnik.com/the-ten-most-unexpectedly-awesome-tow-vehicles-1729409498

View attachment 494236

I'd love to get a '62 Chev Bel Air wagon with a 409 to tow an airstream. I think that would be a fun camping set up...

Ever see the movie the Long Long Camper with Desi and Lucille Ball? We stayed at the Shady Dell in Bisbee, Arizona one weekend, and they had it in the camper we stayed in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94