2019 Grand Cherokee SLOW Build

SHALAKO

Gentleman,
Excited to be here and able to look at all of these awesome build and trips you guys take!

A little backstory, I came from a 1998 4Runner that I built up and told to Moab, Telluride and all over southern CA. Unfortunately it was also my DD and with 220k miles and all the mods it wasn’t the most reliable/economical (that’s what I told myself anyway).

Link to 4Runner build thread :

I sold the Runner in 2015 and focused on getting a career, school, etc. I also met my wife, who would not be interested in running Hell Revenge haha.

Fast forward to now and I have a career and actually just bought a house so don’t have the disposable income I used to when I was single.

The wife let me get another SUV, I considered another Toyota but ended up with a Grand Cherokee (wife liked they way it looked). I used to have a 2001 JGC and wheeled the heck out of it.

This build will be slow and mild. Definitely not as awesome as the 4Runner as I still need a comfortable DD. (And have to justify the purchase to the wife).

I’ll probably upgrade items such as tired when they need to be replaced etc. or I can show the wife that I NEED something.

These days I’m not super interested in wheeling hard trails as much as easy scenic ones.

I’m excited to meet some more of the awesome members on here and get on some easy trail runs!

I actually sold my 4Runner yo a member on here .

Some pics of the Jeep (still stock)

Attachments

• 19006C5D-2D7B-45AB-81EE-952E3B1CE4DF.jpeg
    19006C5D-2D7B-45AB-81EE-952E3B1CE4DF.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 76
  • 8A7A2E32-0D56-40AC-8A38-28DFEC1A349D.jpeg
    8A7A2E32-0D56-40AC-8A38-28DFEC1A349D.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 76
  • EE324FBE-89B8-4BE4-A735-D9A60B0765A8.jpeg
    EE324FBE-89B8-4BE4-A735-D9A60B0765A8.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 71

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
The WK2 is a surprisingly capable vehicle. Ground clearance and articulation aren't the best, but we took ours all over Ouray and Silverton. Only trail we didn't do was Poughkeepsie. But if your wife won't do Hell's Revenge, I'm guessing she won't be up for Black Bear! Great highway manners, and just enough capability on the trail to keep it interesting.

SHALAKO

Good to know! We’re planning a road trip to CO/UT, last time I was in Telluride I went on a few super mild trails with great views but can’t remember the names. Moab also has a few dirt roads with good views as well.

I think the WK2 will be fine for want I want to do these days, I was honestly thinking about tires/lift etc. but I’m in love with how smooth it forces on the road! My 4Runner was a PIA driving from CA to Moab. If anything I’ll just switch to AT tires when the stockers wear out.

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
Personally, I'd spend time in Ouray/Silverton/Lake City before Telluride. The town as a whole generally looks down their noses at the 4x4 community.

A buddy of mine took his WK2 with us to Moab a few years ago. I think there you will spend more time on "dirt roads" and less on trails. It seems that the entry level trails have become too challenging for stock rigs anymore. 15+ years ago we were taking stock ZJ's and WJ's on trails like Poison Spider Mesa without issue and now you really need bigger tires. You could still do the "Tip-Toe" route on Hell's though I bet. I would NOT take it out the standard exit by any means.

SHALAKO

That’s why I felt like people looked at me weird when I was in Telluride about 5 years ago. Thanks for the tips about the other towns in CO I’ll definitely check them out. I am definitely into the entry level trails now...need the wife to not get scared

SHALAKO

Wife and I are brain storming a road trip for next fall or possibly spring depending on our schedules.

Think about NorCal/Oregon or CO/UT

We’re going to look at a map soon and make a list of the things we would like to see. Right now I’m leaning towards NorCal as I’ve been to Moab about 6 times...but it’s literally my favorite place in the Southwest

gspfunk

First off, I love CO. My family’s been going to Lake City and driving the Alpine Loop and other trails for 50 years. We’re headed to Telluride in July to try something different and spend a few days on different trails.

For tires, you can essentially run up to a 32” tire (255/70r18 or 275/65r18) w/o rubbing for most tires. Anything with an aggressive sidewall has the potential for contact at full lock. You can also run JL/JK wheels (17 or 18) on yours since it looks like you have the Laredo. If I’m mistaken and you have the HD brakes, you can’t run a 17” wheel.

If you don’t have QDII, you also have the option to add a lift and other suspension mods. QDII limits all that as it’s an enclosed air suspension system. WK2jeeps dot com has a lot of good info.

SHALAKO

Thanks for the tips, I went to Telluride about 5 years ago. It’s a cool little town with amazing scenery.

Yes I have the Laredo, 17 inch wheels. Once this rubber wears out I’ll probably replace with something more aggressive.

Johnston Robare

Hey SHALAKO, tell us more about your GC!
I’m interested in them too, but they seem to come in about 50 trim levels and 4x4 systems. It makes my head spin ?

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

We too live in CO. Wife had a 2015 GC Limited w/ the ecodiesel and traded it in last fall for her new 2018 GC Trailhawk w/ the 3.6. On both jeeps, she has had 275/55/20 KO2 tires w/ 20” Black Rhino Mozambique wheels. We’ve already offroaded the Trailhawk once, 3 days after picking it up and will be going down to Telluride ourselves later this summer. We’ll be taking her GC down there because my Jeep cant tow the trailer and my truck wont be able to handle some of those trails due to its size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SHALAKO

I’m not an expert but I can give my opinion.

I have the Laredo which is fairly spartan ie. cloth seats, some plastic trip (around fender well), 17in wheels. QD2 I believe which is basically full time 4x4

But also has creature comforts such as electronic drivers seat, back up camera, blind spot sensor.

Moving up to the Limited, Altitude, Summit etc. gets you more aesthetics like black wheels, color matched fender trip, auto cruise control, leather. IMO those models look better then the Laredo but were out of my price range. Also better 4x4 system although in San Diego I see almost no 4x4 GCs

Then the Trailhawk and overland? Models come with everything already said and air suspension and other creature comforts.

Again I’m not an expert and I’m sure someone else can chime in on the differences.

Having previously owned a 01 GC and wheeled with a friend that has a JKU, I learned that Jeep electronics are generally junk and the less options that can break the better. Again that might have changed but I have heard a lot of people that are unhappy with the air suspension. (Although I would have bought a Trailhawk if budget permitted)[/QUOTE]

SHALAKO

We too live in CO. Wife had a 2015 GC Limited w/ the ecodiesel and traded it in last fall for her new 2018 GC Trailhawk w/ the 3.6. On both jeeps, she has had 275/55/20 KO2 tires w/ 20” Black Rhino Mozambique wheels. We’ve already offroaded the Trailhawk once, 3 days after picking it up and will be going down to Telluride ourselves later this summer. We’ll be taking her GC down there because my Jeep cant tow the trailer and my truck wont be able to handle some of those trails due to its size.

Did those wheels/tires fit without rubbing?

vanmichel

I’m not an expert but I can give my opinion.

I have the Laredo which is fairly spartan ie. cloth seats, some plastic trip (around fender well), 17in wheels. QD2 I believe which is basically full time 4x4

QTI is "full time 4wd" or awd. QTII is optional and has a 4wd Low.

QDII is the air suspension.

My 2015 limited is a QTII without QD. I specifically did not want the air suspension. Some people like it, but I not having it as its another thing that can break and get you stuck. You also cannot lift the QD system.

SHALAKO

QTI is "full time 4wd" or awd. QTII is optional and has a 4wd Low.

QDII is the air suspension.

My 2015 limited is a QTII without QD. I specifically did not want the air suspension. Some people like it, but I not having it as its another thing that can break and get you stuck. You also cannot lift the QD system.
Thanks for the clarification!

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Did those wheels/tires fit without rubbing?

They didn’t rub on our 2015 QD suspension but do rub at full lock at normal ride or access height on the 2018 trailhawk w/ QLift. But when in offroad 1 or 2 mode, no rubbing.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94