shade

Looking at the specs of the Rack n Roll, it looks very well made, to include using a galvanized main tray, and good hardware. It's rare to see a manufacturer list those details. It also looks like it'll work well with my truck (similar to what's below), even on more difficult trails. RnR makes lift bars for the platform, but I don't see myself needing one.

1588565020450.png

Unlike a lifting platform, the bike can't rotate in the tray. Other than the hardware, no moving parts, either. It's certainly the nicest of the tray types I've seen. My truck camper offers good side access, so I'd still be able to get in the bed with the bike loaded. To access the rear, the bike would have to be unloaded, which takes less than two minutes. It's a mark of the beast, but I'd get the orange tray for better visibility.

Impressive video. Not much flopping around:

Last edited:

shade

Iirc, @Tex68w mentioned that a Rekluse auto-clutch cover may increase oil capacity.
Their site says that it does, but without one in hand, I don't know how much.

1588578403138.png

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Congrats on the purchase and thx for the detailed thread. This all takes me fondly back to my younger days when I had a blast riding my street legal Yamahammer DT 250 Enduro in the desert around southern Arizona.

I may have missed this, but what do you think the total weight will be of your bike once it’s loaded up with all of your gear?

And secondly, looking at the idea of a hitch or bumper mounted MC carrier, have you thought at all about using two nylon straps, fore and aft at the top end of your bike, to cinch it tight towards the bed of the truck....to limit any excess “fall over backwards” momentum from driving on rocky, rutted roads?

shade

Congrats on the purchase and thx for the detailed thread. This all takes me fondly back to my younger days when I had a blast riding my street legal Yamahammer DT 250 Enduro in the desert around southern Arizona.

I may have missed this, but what do you think the total weight will be of your bike once it’s loaded up with all of your gear?

And secondly, looking at the idea of a hitch or bumper mounted MC carrier, have you thought at all about using two nylon straps, fore and aft at the top end of your bike, to cinch it tight towards the bed of the truck....to limit any excess “fall over backwards” momentum from driving on rocky, rutted roads?
Thanks. At this point, I believe I should be able to keep the fully loaded touring weight of the bike under 350 lbs. That would include food & water for at least a few days. I'm a long way from putting that kind of kit together, so I'm basing that weight on my backpacking experience, what I've read about the bike's rear sub-frame strength, and my desire to keep the weight as low as possible. 350 lbs seems to be a reasonable target.

Speaking of a hitch carrier, I just ordered a Rack N Ride (Rack N Roll) MX Carrier. I haven't found a negative review on it, and it appears to be a well designed product. The rack's anchoring system seems to work well, but if I have any concerns, I can use the Rollercam straps I have for trailer transport to add more support. It loads easy.

I'd rather not get my early riding experience at the mercy of the morons on city streets, so a short drive to the country on my truck makes sense. Leeroy in Australia emailed me an update on my order status and some assembly & use pdfs, which is an encouraging sign from an overseas company.

Last edited:

shade

I've mentioned Barry Morris' popular Cross Training Enduro videos before. Here's a full list of the free coursework videos. There's a fair amount of humour mixed in, but here's an overview:

The big gumby broke his back in a crash about a month ago, and could use some additional support while he's laid up.

After several years of avoiding it, Barry started using limited ads with his videos, so every view helps. He's also asked for people to give more thought to becoming a supporter due to the crash. I don't think he's happy about any of that, but when faced with bills and months in a back brace, I can see the need. Barry seems like a good guy that's hit a particularly rough patch, so when you're tired of ExPo, you might give his videos a try and help the little feller out. His other YT channels are also entertaining.

shade

I love my Rack-N-Ride/Rack-N-Roll hitch carrier, it's the best option out there IMHO.
I have to agree. I'm pretty sure the Ultimate MX Hauler and similar lifting platform designs would prevent me lowering the tailgate, even with the platform all the way down. Without that ability, I see no significant advantage to that design.

I considered the beefier RnR Adventure model, but I don't really need the extra capacity for my bike, and I wouldn't want to carry a heavier bike on my hitch. It looks like the standard version could be adapted for heavier use by installing a piece of rectangular tubing under the tray, like the Adventure model. A DIY upgrade would lack other improvements, but that'd take care of biggest concern.

Wallygator

Adventurer
Two pages in and I just found this thread. Congrats again! Looks like you have some very nice plans for the new ride. Again give the JD Jetting module a try if you want to fix the low throttle fueling without the expense of the Vortex. Also that is a very nice Husqvarna in that Rack and Roll promo video and I love the orange tray.

Screen Shot 2020-05-05 at 10.18.07 PM.png

shade

Again give the JD Jetting module a try if you want to fix the low throttle fueling without the expense of the Vortex.
I'll have to review the various experiments, but has that been used successfully with the stock exhaust? I'm guessing that only so much fuel can be added before the catalytic converter complains.

Ideally (for me), I'd have a solution that maintained the OEM sound levels while addressing the low rpm issue, but I'm not sure that exists yet.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Two pages in and I just found this thread. Congrats again! Looks like you have some very nice plans for the new ride. Again give the JD Jetting module a try if you want to fix the low throttle fueling without the expense of the Vortex. Also that is a very nice Husqvarna in that Rack and Roll promo video and I love the orange tray.

View attachment 583893

LOL, right?!

Her name is Nicole Cesa, you can find her at @nicoledcesa on instagram, enjoy!

Wallygator

Adventurer
I'll have to review the various experiments, but has that been used successfully with the stock exhaust? I'm guessing that only so much fuel can be added before the catalytic converter complains.

Ideally (for me), I'd have a solution that maintained the OEM sound levels while addressing the low rpm issue, but I'm not sure that exists yet.

Well that's what I have, the stock exhaust. Again, it fixes 98% of the issue and maintains the stock exhaust. When I want more power I will goto the Vortex and a pipe, but having it run good and quiet has been fine for me so far.

Wallygator

Adventurer
LOL, right?!

Her name is Nicole Cesa, you can find her at @nicoledcesa on instagram, enjoy!

Yeah I know. She is a Lucas Oil Lady. Can't wait until the outdoor season starts.

184136_unnamed_59.jpg

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Looks good! Be careful of the known moto mathematical formula of (experience goes up = farkles go down / low experiences = farkles go up)

Be safe and enjoy the new ride!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior