2019 Honda CRF 450L

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I got out with the 200 for the first time today since rebuilding it and it ran great, no stalls, never got hot, no shifting issues. It has plenty down low and pulls through to the mid range quite well. I was riding in 2nd and 3rd gear most of the day. I noticed that it falls off fast up top, not sure if that can be fixed with jetting or if it's just a product of the 200 motor?! I can't wait to get the IMS Core Enduro pegs on, the factory pegs feel very flat and I was struggling to find the rear brake, I'm going to have to consider an extended rear brake pedal if I don't find better coverage with the new pegs.

I had the bike clean before the ride, no leaks to note. After getting it home I noticed that the forks were leaking slightly. I cleaned under the dust covers earlier this week and didn't have any leaks after that. I'll try the seal saver tool a few times and if it still leaks then I guess I'll have to have the front seals redone.

Other than the fork seals I am very happy with the bike overall, especially in the woods, it lugs well and my clutch hand is much happier when in the slow, tight and technical stuff lol. Coming into corners will take some getting used to as I am accustom to the engine braking of a four-stroke and its planted feeling when in ruts and ability to put the power down, the two-stroke definitely floats and deflects more. The biggest benefit aside from the lug-ability was the weight difference, there's a solid 50lb weight difference between my 450L and the 200 XC-W and it was a welcome advantage when I had to move it over an obstacle and while loading/unloading, not to mention the felt difference while riding.

Chalk up this addition to my stable as a win-win. I hope she brings me much joy while riding local trails in 2020.

9FyB4Ih.jpg

u83nhHx.jpg

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I didn't get to go riding this weekend so I cleaned and lubed the bikes so that they are ready to go for next weekend. Short of new sprockets and chain, possibly a different seat/seat cover and a rear disc guard, the 200 is just about done.

OMMewvV.jpg

Tex68w

Beach Bum
The weather was amazing today so I decided to hammer out 97 miles of which the majority was gravel/dirt back roads. Fun stuff!

LsCZFJt.jpg

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
I saw your post about driving a van everyday. If the Transit has the same turning radius as a Sprinter you will be shocked at how nice it is to drive. TheSprinter I had years ago had the TD 5cyl and it was super fun to drive. Hella easy to park too.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I saw your post about driving a van everyday. If the Transit has the same turning radius as a Sprinter you will be shocked at how nice it is to drive. TheSprinter I had years ago had the TD 5cyl and it was super fun to drive. Hella easy to park too.

I don't have an issue with it, it's the misses who isn't too keen on the idea in general. I've enjoyed the seat time I've had in a Sprinter aside from high cross winds lol.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Since I have decided to keep the 450L around a little longer it's time to get around to swapping out a few things. Going on are the Dirt Tricks 51T Zirconium rear sprocket, DID 520 ERVT chain and a Goldentyre 333N 120/100 rear tire.

djOrvEW.jpg

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I am replacing the stock rear sprocket with a Dirt Tricks Zirconium 51T. This thing is silly light weight and my does it have some trippy colors.

wo39Nw1.jpg

I am finally getting around to installing the GoldenTyre GT333N DOT rear tire. I went with a 120/100R18 this time and I am excited to have something with a little softer compound and better compliance than the Dunlop D606 that it's replacing. The Dunlop is a great all-arounder that wears like iron but it's extremely hard and even when aired down to 12 psi I struggled to notice it conforming to any terrain. After 1500 miles it has worn pretty flat in the middle, so much so that there is a very pronounced pitch onto the outer edge in corners. Some of the lugs are starting to chunk and tear as well. The D606 stands out in sand, deep mud, on road and it does decently well on rocks. I can honestly say that in snow/ice and on slick, wet roots and ledges it's down right awful lol. Considering how and where I rode with that tire I am more than pleased with the performance of the D606 on this bike and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to other 450L owners short of noting the density of the rubber.

I am sticking with rim locks and HD tubes, I am no fan of tubliss and mousses aren't an option for any sustained riding on road or at high speed. I have a back roads ride planned in a few weeks followed shortly after by a trip out to Big Bend for the better part of a week, I'll report back how well the GT333N holds up under those riding conditions.

MDiNefM.jpg

q1kZUi0.jpg

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Cool! Nothing about the 4WD trails for me to tell you then. Do you hike much?

I do at times but the fellas I'll be with don't care much for it. That said, I am definitely interested in suggestions if you have them. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you like.

Wallygator

Adventurer
I am replacing the stock rear sprocket with a Dirt Tricks Zirconium 51T. This thing is silly light weight and my does it have some trippy colors.

wo39Nw1.jpg

I am finally getting around to installing the GoldenTyre GT333N DOT rear tire. I went with a 120/100R18 this time and I am excited to have something with a little softer compound and better compliance than the Dunlop D606 that it's replacing. The Dunlop is a great all-arounder that wears like iron but it's extremely hard and even when aired down to 12 psi I struggled to notice it conforming to any terrain. After 1500 miles it has worn pretty flat in the middle, so much so that there is a very pronounced pitch onto the outer edge in corners. Some of the lugs are starting to chunk and tear as well. The D606 stands out in sand, deep mud, on road and it does decently well on rocks. I can honestly say that in snow/ice and on slick, wet roots and ledges it's down right awful lol. Considering how and where I rode with that tire I am more than pleased with the performance of the D606 on this bike and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to other 450L owners short of noting the density of the rubber.

I am sticking with rim locks and HD tubes, I am no fan of tubliss and mousses aren't an option for any sustained riding on road or at high speed. I have a back roads ride planned in a few weeks followed shortly after by a trip out to Big Bend for the better part of a week, I'll report back how well the GT333N holds up under those riding conditions.

MDiNefM.jpg

q1kZUi0.jpg

Thanks for the review on the D606's. I am considering that tire for Elle. I use her more for actual dual sporting than anything so long wear is a pretty big concern. As far as the Tubliss goes you may want to try it on the KTM just in the rear. I have a Tubliss on the Sherco in the rear and it is a game changer. I don't think I would like it in the front. I did try a mousse in the front on the Sherco and hated it so it now has an HD tube in the front. Having the Tubliss in the rear provides a lot of versatility. If I ride moto I can just run it with 12 pounds or so, riding hard enduro or trails put 6 pounds in it and it just hooks up everywhere and completely conforms to any terrain. Just saying you may like it in the rear tire.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
GoldenTyre GT333N 120/100/18 mounted and the DID ERVT 520 Narrow X-Ring chain, OEM 13T countershaft sprocket and Dirt Tricks 51T Zirconium rear sprocket installed as well. You can see where the o-rings on the OEM chain were failing left and right, this was with 1600 miles on it.

VUfJj8I.jpg

FCaPZM2.jpg

jX8Q5eN.jpg

db64z9i.jpg

93IPRlh.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne