2019 Sierra Carnage

Looks like we have some real interest in a 2019 Sierra Carnage. I realize its late planning for this, but with the proposed dates we do have time. I think its easier to plan some place like this where the string can be easily found unlike Face Book. The dates someone proposed coming down from Oregon was 9/1-9/10. I realize kids are in school and I will have to pull mine out, but Labor day does kill one of those. The request was to run the Trifecta, a very ambitious proposal, something I have not attempted in a very long time. (Dusy, Rubicon and Fordyce) On a side note he wants to run out to Utah after, hell why not run Hole-N-The-Rock too. Anyways, who might be in? How do dates sound? Other thoughts?

Oso

Forest Defecator
Sounds like fun. Sadly my daughters birthday is 9/1. Can’t/won’t miss it. Have fun out there. I’ll watch in case the dates change.

RichardSkinner

That’s a pretty brutal run of trails. I can’t make it, but we do a similar run. Be prepared, that’s for sure. My advice is run south to North. Fordyce is most likely to break something, so might as well put it at the end.

I’ll be watching for updates!

montypower

Adventure Time!
That’s a pretty brutal run of trails. I can’t make it, but we do a similar run. Be prepared, that’s for sure. My advice is run south to North. Fordyce is most likely to break something, so might as well put it at the end.

I’ll be watching for updates!

Will winch before breaking stuff. I'd much rather take time on obstacles than days in the garage on repair$. Taco goes slow at 233:1 crawl ratio.

Heading to Moab for a week after these trails. Sept 15-21st if others want to join.

Generally we do put Fordyce at the end other then the " Backwards" year( or operation shell game) where we ran everything backwards instead. That was a hoot.

RichardSkinner

Will winch before breaking stuff. I'd much rather take time on obstacles than days in the garage on repair$. Taco goes slow at 233:1 crawl ratio.

Heading to Moab for a week after these trails. Sept 15-21st if others want to join.

I understand absolutely. I have an ‘85 4runner. I think after the dual cases and diffs I come out at about 224:1

Finesse wins the game, even in ultra4.

ChrisCosta416

I am down, I am not sure if I want to take my Montero yet, still need to regear and lock it. If I can ride in someones rig I can take photos!

Wow, I am so busy at work this time of the year I log in this morning and there is a post I never finished :oops: Pretty cool the forum software saved it. But now I need to type something else. Of course Suzi can come along....Just dont attempt any cliff diving this time!

So a little bit about equipment per the above mention. The Sierras are about as hard as it gets for REAL ( not dry gully in desert) trail riding. Some general equipment thoughts;

1. Rear traction aid is mandatory, LSD would be tough. Front locker makes things all better.
  2. Tires, 33" minimum but its difficult in a 40" world. 35s make much more sense, 37-38" are fun.
  3. Armor, sliders are mandatory here as they are for the grocery store. If you don't have real bumpers you will need them after the trip.( good excuse to buy after!)
  4. Gearing, proper gearing makes things a lot easier. Despite how nice old Monteros are the Gearing was the #1 4x4 failure by Mitsubishi. 2:96-4:1 t/case gear upgrades help a lot.
  5. Spare Parts, unless you are fully upgraded to bigger stuff you can expect to chew through CVs, even more so Gen 1 and Gen 3 of course which may the disaturous move to rely on them in the rear. Gen 3s should also protect the plastic driveshaft. Bring the parts you will need. No Vato Zone on the Rubicon.
  6. Cooling system. If you don't have a 4:1 t/case, doublers, ect you will be over heating, just a matter of when. Make sure cooling system is maxed out with a MANUAL over ride switch for AC back up fan. Montys should have have swapped out for a 3 row radiator.
  7. Fast set up and take down camping gear to make that daily routine easier. Always sucks to be the guy holding up the group with your REI land closure supporting 2hr set up and 1hr take down Mt Everest Sherpa Tent with a stuff bag smaller then your wife's purse.....But at least it was expensive.
  8. Fridges, yep we all got em and drive by Ice Factories.
  9. Blowfunk Radios are what ever they are. CBs suck and we all gave up on them. Even the lowest shortwave Radio feels like a Star Trek Communicator compared to a CB.

Ok, here was the post I never finished, lol.

Gearing plays a huge part in the Sierras. That level of control is fantastic. I simply run a 4:1 Ruby case and that is all it takes. There will still be spots where some throttle and wheel spin will be required still of course, but gears cut the number of areas way down. Its also about over heating. In the Sierras nearly everyone over heats at some point. No matter what you do its relentless, but gears can all but eliminate that issue. Something bigger radiators and such just don't seem to do. Of course since you are not hitting as many obstacles as hard, the threat of breakage comes down.

I also get the feeling from the posts above that we don't need to worry about that make or break syndrome. Where someone keeps ramming an obsticle until they make or break. A winch or strap may seem slow until you stop for 2hrs to replace an axle.

Maybe an award this year for who uses the winch the most?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles