2019 Silverado 1500 gets a diesel

duckhunter71

Adventurer
Ya'll might want to skip the interior pics though. yuck:
4.png

I guess GM missed the memo to copy Japanese interiors more.

The Hyundai Sonata style windshield isn't going to fare well in the snow belt for trucks parked outside 24/7.

That’s actually the current truck interior. My 2016 Sierra looked just like that. New one is changed. Similar, but changed.

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
This is all cool and stuff. I just wish the manufacturers would bring back manual transmissions...

That'll never happen, You can thank CAFE for that, with a side note of appreciation to CARB! The coming change in requirements to CAFE means that manufacturers can not risk the decrease in fuel economy and corresponding increase in emissions that happens with manuals compared to the newer autos, that's why all the manufacturers keep coming up with autos that have more gears, keeps the engine in its sweet spot in regards to emissions and fuel economy!

Tex68w

Beach Bum
While I actually think the exterior is a major improvement, I don't understand who GM has designing their interiors, they are horrible. Cheap plastics, horrid ergonomics, they are always just all kinds of wrong. In two years all three of the BIG's will have diesels in their half-ton trucks, these are surely interesting and exciting times.

Dalko43

Explorer
It seems around 3L is the ideal size for the big 3,it seems a little small to me, but maybe the 10spd trans makes up for the lack of displacement.
I am glad to see these new diesels come to market.

The 3.0l V6 ecodiesel in the Ram 1500 seems to provide more than enough torque for that size of truck, not to mention that it's fuel economy far surpasses anything a Hemi v8 or GM smallblock is capable of. I think the 3.0l diesel, especially with the inline configuration, will be more than sufficient. It might not have the gobs of power that can burn up tires, but I suppose there are other engine options that can accommodate that driving style.

Yep, sadly we will never see another manual transmission half ton........nor will the diesel option be available with anything less than the LTZ/Premier/Office Cowboy trim package

Kind of sad, but then again with all the 6-10 speed auto's as efficient and capable as they are, I almost view a 6 speed manual as a step down. I can see the argument for keeping manuals alive in sports cars and hot hatchbacks. For trucks and 4x4's, I'd rather stick with an auto: easier time navigating tough terrain and gives a free hand to drink coffee on long drives ;)

chet6.7

Explorer
The 3.0l V6 ecodiesel in the Ram 1500 seems to provide more than enough torque for that size of truck, not to mention that it's fuel economy far surpasses anything a Hemi v8 or GM smallblock is capable of. I think the 3.0l diesel, especially with the inline configuration, will be more than sufficient. It might not have the gobs of power that can burn up tires, but I suppose there are other engine options that can accommodate that driving style.
I suspect fuel economy is a main driver for that engine size,I also suspect that many of the trucks in this segment have empty beds much of the time.I don't care about burning tires,I want power,with a load,up a grade.I really like what I see from the 4.5L diesel Toyota puts in the series 79,it can be seen in action on Ronny Dahl's YouTube channel.It hits the sweet spot for me,too bad I can't get it.

Kind of sad, but then again with all the 6-10 speed auto's as efficient and capable as they are, I almost view a 6 speed manual as a step down. I can see the argument for keeping manuals alive in sports cars and hot hatchbacks. For trucks and 4x4's, I'd rather stick with an auto: easier time navigating tough terrain and gives a free hand to drink coffee on long drives ;)
I have my first auto now,I miss the low first gear of a manual trans,it was useful,now I have to take the time to go into low range,when a manual a low gear was just a quick shift away when getting through a tight/rough spot.The auto is great for getting on the freeway though.

You know you can switch gears manually with all the new trucks right? Not the same, but still. I bought an 18 Chevy and the manual actually recommends using the manual gear mode when towing.

Only thing wrong with the Chevy interior is the 4x4 button, it's hard to shift into 4x4 with confidence on the fly. Have to stop and make sure you don't turn the knob too far. Wonder what the 2019 GMC will look like.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
While I actually think the exterior is a major improvement, I don't understand who GM has designing their interiors, they are horrible. Cheap plastics, horrid ergonomics, they are always just all kinds of wrong. In two years all three of the BIG's will have diesels in their half-ton trucks, these are surely interesting and exciting times.

Yeah. I was pleasantly startled that Ford skinned their interior designers and hung them up-side down in the canukistan factory. We finally have a nice japanese-y dashboard and switches in the new SD's that isn't embarrassing to look at. I expected GM to copy that........

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
What’s a Hyundai Sonata winshield?
I think he's referring to the way the windshield is inset from the A-pillar. Notice how the A-pillar protrudes forward of the windshield by a couple of inches. that's going to be a place where snow and ice get trapped instead of being able to smoothly brush it off. Seems like an odd design feature.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Round wheel wells?!?!?!?!?
First time in 36 years. Harks back to the best looking Chevy trucks ever, the 1967-72:
1972-Chevrolet-K10-Front.jpg
The K2XX platform sure didn't last long! 2014 - 2018? I believe that is the shortest lived GM truck platform ever.
If Chevy is consistent with past practices the old platform will live on for at least another year in the Suburban/Tahoe but that still means that by 2020 we could potentially see a diesel Suburban or Tahoe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94