2019 Tundra

rruff

Explorer
Unless they decide to really invest and build a Raptor/Rebel/zr2 competitor?

Not the Raptor. The others are mild upgrades similar to the Tundra Pro. I don't expect much change at all, including the price.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
I suspect they will be the same trucks. The same engineering 98%.
The Tundra is gonna get a factory lockers, all those crawl control gadgets and new stickers.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
Clutch

That comment darn near made me blow coffee out my nose...

What I meant was that the Tundra is gonna get the offroad gadgets as the Taco TRD offroad has got. + a rear facory locker.
Then their chief engineer is gonna announce that they have "totally" resigned the Tundra. As they did say regarding the 3rd gen Taco.
And the Toyota fans will believe in that as they believe in the case of the 3rd gen taco.

p.s. I love taco and Tundra. but there are some issues that make me question Toyota's dedication to innovation and improvement.

bkg

Explorer
Clutch

What I meant was that the Tundra is gonna get the offroad gadgets as the Taco TRD offroad has got. + a rear facory locker.
Then their chief engineer is gonna announce that they have "totally" resigned the Tundra. As they did say regarding the 3rd gen Taco.
And the Toyota fans will believe in that as they believe in the case of the 3rd gen taco.

p.s. I love taco and Tundra. but there are some issues that make me question Toyota's dedication to innovation and improvement.

Oooohhh Lawdy... that is gonna piss a few folks off. Lol

Clutch

<---Pass
Clutch

Oooohhh Lawdy... that is gonna piss a few folks off. Lol

*chuckle*

@Highlander: I don't think the Tundra is going to get a locker, hence my comment. Do think it is going to get crawl control though

Runt

Adventurer
Clutch

Toyota's Kaizen business model does not support innovation. It allows learning from other manufacturers, improvement and incrementally making a better product then the competition. There are advantages to this though in that we see strong aftermarket support for Toyota products....especially the Tacoma due to the long product / model updates.

mrblah

Observer
Toyota's Kaizen business model does not support innovation. It allows learning from other manufacturers, improvement and incrementally making a better product then the competition. There are advantages to this though in that we see strong aftermarket support for Toyota products....especially the Tacoma due to the long product / model updates.

It's weird because Fujifilm uses the Kaizen philosophy and they keep improving the product over and over even when their cameras are out and sold. They release new firmware and add ons etc...

Funny how 2 company approach the same idea differently.

rruff

Explorer
Toyota's Kaizen business model does not support innovation. It allows learning from other manufacturers, improvement and incrementally making a better product then the competition.

I was going to say they are conservative, not innovative. Functional, reliable, inexpensive.

Clutch

<---Pass
I was going to say they are conservative, not innovative. Functional, reliable, inexpensive.

Maybe with their trucks, but weren't they one of the first to introduce hybrids to the public? And now a fuel cell.

Not that I need major advances, but it is odd to see them advance their car, CUV, and SUV lines. While their trucks are treated like the Ford E-Series van. IIRC Ford used the same basic design [3rd gen] for what nearly 40 years?

Last edited:

bkg

Explorer
Maybe with their trucks, but weren't they one of the first to introduce hybrids to the public? And now a fuel cell.

Not that I need major advances, but it is odd to see them advance their car, CUV, and SUV lines. While their trucks are treated like the Ford E-Series van. IIRC Ford used the same basic design [3rd gen] for what nearly 40 years?

This. ^^^^

Clutch

<---Pass
You're right, I forgot about those. They probably figure the trucks aren't the best choice for new powerplants.

Their trucks seem like an afterthought if you look at the rest of their line-up, at least for the US market, almost makes you wonder why they still offer them here. I guess if people keep on buying them, they'll keep on building them. Like the LC200, why do they keep it offering it here?? They sold only 3705 of them for 2016, doesn't make any sense.

Toyota seems to be caught between the people dreaming about the good ol' days and the others who think they aren't advanced enough. I for one wished they keep the trucks small, but worked on making them more efficient. Which wouldn't of taken a bunch of new tech to do so either, bring over the diesel HiLux and call it good.

Last edited:

tacollie

Glamper
Toyota never tried to compete with the big 3. Their first go at a full-size was the T100 which originally had a 3.0L V6 and suspension from a mini truck. They make a full-size for guys who want a full-size Toyota. There are plenty of those people. I think for a lot of people a tundra is the solid and safe choice.

People who are holding out for big change with he disappointed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94