2020 Defender Spy Shots....

Status
Not open for further replies.

DieselRanger

I'd love to see ARB jump in and make a front bumper for it or at least a hidden winch mount tucked under the grille. I like that they appear to have added a channel along the roof line, perhaps strong enough to support a roof rack. I'm also a big fan of lay-flat 2nd row seats- if it had that the interior cargo space would be great for overland travel storage or as a place to sleep.
Lucky8 has a hidden winch mount and rock sliders for the D5, they'll make them for the Defender as well.

naks

Some underbody shots from Instagram

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

blackangie

Some underbody shots from Instagram

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk
Nice find!
cbe47273b80ef42f1eae58eb3f8312cf.jpg
537c31215bdbecf22b27d01f6d708c08.jpg
57a0fd1f889b78c1a7a128053a79a11c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

DieselRanger

Provide a source for that data.

Yep its thousands per year

Im sure a fair percentage are used for work, how many nobody would know either way.

Nope, those are figures for all of Europe, not the UK alone. Oh, and it's classified in the "Large Premium SUV" segment because they retailed well above £ 40,000. There were a few "commercial" versions but those largely were dumped in favor of the Disco Commercial. Military and police variants don't count because they weren't selling those on the open market.

A farm implement it is not, nor has it been since the 1970s, as others have posted many times who actually live in the UK. Once the Japanese started selling the Hilux and Nissan D21 / Navarra as stripper work trucks well under the price of the Defender and with way better reliability than British Leyland the Defender was relegated to a few thousand buyers annually across all of Europe, US, and Australia.

blackangie

Nope, those are figures for all of Europe, not the UK alone. Oh, and it's classified in the "Large Premium SUV" segment because they retailed well above £ 40,000. There were a few "commercial" versions but those largely were dumped in favor of the Disco Commercial. Military and police variants don't count because they weren't selling those on the open market.

A farm implement it is not, nor has it been since the 1970s, as others have posted many times who actually live in the UK. Once the Japanese started selling the Hilux and Nissan D21 / Navarra as stripper work trucks well under the price of the Defender and with way better reliability than British Leyland the Defender was relegated to a few thousand buyers annually across all of Europe, US, and Australia.
Good points

Colin Hughes

Explorer
While the Defender is a very cool truck, let's be honest, it's never been the most comfortable thing to drive any real distance in. It's drafty, it leaks, etc, etc. If this new version is a slightly modified, chunkier version of an LR4 with full capability and the comfort to cruise all day, that sounds like a good compromise. Isn't a compromise when no one is completely happy :) There's always going to be folks who say, it's not a real Land Rover and I'll agree sadly they all pretty much look the same now thanks to Mr McGovern. But does anyone remember when the Defender was first launched? My friend brought this up the other day. The discussion then was the Defender couldn't be a "real" Land Rover because it didn't have leaf springs. Let's wait until the wrap comes off and we actually get behind the wheel to make a firm and final judgement.

JackW

Explorer
At one of our club meetings years ago .....
Our tradition is new guys that show up to the meetings stand up and tell the crowd what sort of Land Rover they own.
After three other new guys had stated they had some sort of Discovery the final one for the evening stood up and said:

"I have a REAL Land Rover - a 1995 Defender."

Our response was "Real Land Rovers have leaf springs and non-synchro first and second gears."

naks

...starting later this year, all new Land Rovers will permanently drop diesel in favor of hybrid or plug-in hybrid drivetrains...

Even the reborn Defender, due to be unveiled in September, will be sold as a mild-hybrid or plug-in hybrid. Land Rover is reportedly fully aware of concerns that the Defender’s electrically powered rear axle will hinder off-road performance but rest assured, there’s no reason to worry.

In fact, off-road capabilities will improve because the electric motor provides instant torque and it’s also more controllable than today’s rear axle. An all-electric Defender has not been confirmed, but nor has it been denied.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
"Mild-Hybrid"? Yes, the supercharger is electric while everything else is standard inline six ICE.

Classic marketing play where a majority of a product is built on existing technology while one component is changed to allow 'hybrid' to be used.

Full EV would be a disaster for Land Rover as it cannot serve a operational profile expected of LR's. Land Rover needs to get cozy with Audi.

blackangie

Badly worded article imo, hybrid doesn't mean they are dropping diesel. Look for quotes from LR, havent seen anything from them saying they are dropping diesels any time soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier