2020 Defender Spy Shots....

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeepColorado

Chris's take on it:

I think Chris is on to something in this article. The "redesigned" New Defender isn't all that different from the DC100 concept, but I do think it's better, just not as different as I would have thought.

JackW

Explorer
I'm going on another 2500 mile round trip in my Discovery 5 sometime this month. Since the new Defender will replace this truck next year I certainly don't want anything much less comfortable and competent at this type of road trip than the Discovery. I do need the ability to tow a trailer and explore off road when I get to my destinations and from what I've seen so far it looks like the Defender will be better at that than the Discovery.

I like the rear door, one of my biggest gripes with the D5 is the rear hatch. The rear mounted spare and shift lever (instead of rotary knob) are good things as well.

It would be really neat if they introduced them with some of the paint colors of the Series IIA trucks. The classic light green with a white roof would be so cool.

blackangie

Chris's take on it:

Good read, thanks!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

REDROVER

Explorer
3 of the terrible automakers join forces to produce even more terrible vehicles
Haha
bmw quality >>zero
Jaguar Reliability >> minus 10
Land Rover >> minus 15
Add all that up and the number is ?? 25

they are 25 years behind

NASA already made the electric rover.

blackangie

Haha
bmw quality >>zero
Land Rover >> minus 15
Add all that up and the number is ?? 25

they are 25 years behind

NASA already made the electric rover.
They are joining forces to share EDU development costs, both companies have successful evs.

blackangie

Some interesting insight into the future at JLR, looks like the new defender will have plenty of software over-the-air update capability + other stuff.
29d20eb389b212e5222c2f252fde8428.jpg
fc96d918646879076ddc103869281ba9.jpg
c6bf64076b6bea1bb0cb53df244352dd.jpg

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Haha
bmw quality >>zero
Land Rover >> minus 15
Add all that up and the number is ?? 25........

As noted from the Geneva auto show partnerships and consolidation are the future of vehicle development and manufacturing. The cost of R&D is high and the need to get new product into subcontractor production is also high. Many sub-systems are already sourced from common suppliers.

You left out Toyota in your list of BMW and JLR partnership. BMW is a premier manufacturer. JLR is not the JLR of old.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
SOTA (Software-Over-The-Air) may be a Range Rover feature but I'm not interested in JLR surveilling my every move and selling/monetizing that data. JLR is walking into a quagmire.

JeepColorado

SOTA (Software-Over-The-Air) may be a Range Rover feature but I'm not interested in JLR surveilling my every move and selling/monetizing that data. JLR is walking into a quagmire.

I really like the idea so long as it's something I initiate and it's clear they are not tracking. I.E.- you get a message like you do now that says you are due for a software update, but you have to accept to connect with JLR's computers, then the download completes and it disconnects.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper

REDROVER

Explorer
a Company that made Lexus LFA super car, allowed the junk bmw to ruin its icon, upcoming Supra,
now bmw is gonna work with jag? Or rover?

U know deep down what’s the end results.

Remember bmw 4.4 motors in the rover ? Lovely huh?

And you guys being so excited like 4.3 year old children about electric Land Rover ?
Plug in, drive to nearby coffee shop, plug in, drive home, that’s gonna be prefect expedition vehicle.
Your opinion and mine don’t mater, look at the market, Land Rover and jaguar are going bankrupt,
it tells you, market doesn’t want those cars for some reasons (we all know) And that’s not only happening in USA,
Price point is off, quality is way off, target clients are disconnected from reality.

Cheers;)

mpinco

Expedition Leader
.........Your opinion and mine don’t mater, look at the market, Land Rover and jaguar are going bankrupt,
it tells you, market doesn’t want those cars for some reasons (we all know) And that’s not only happening in USA,..........

Actually JLR NA sales were much better than expected. European and China volumes did decline as Brexit and China trade/quality became an issue. JLR manufacturing is Chery in China to avoid a 25% tariff. Overall volume is up but so are R&D cost as JLR develops new powertrains and new models. JLR's financial issues are a pullback in volume when the cash is needed for significant investment. This is a industry wide issue and the primary driver of all the recent partnership and consolidation announcements.

Expanding Land Rover from 2 product lines (Discovery and Range Rover) to three product lines (Defender, Discovery, Range Rover) is not a minor undertaking with cost increasing while volumes softened and China trainwrecked.520829520830

blackangie

Pull out your sim card

SOTA will be pushed out like phone updates.

IOTA will be opt in and outgoing from cars, rewards will be given for info.

blackangie

Actually JLR NA sales were much better than expected. European and China volumes did decline as Brexit and China trade/quality became an issue. JLR manufacturing is Chery in China to avoid a 25% tariff. Overall volume is up but so are R&D cost as JLR develops new powertrains and new models. JLR's financial issues are a pullback in volume when the cash is needed for significant investment. This is a industry wide issue and the primary driver of all the recent partnership and consolidation announcements.

Expanding Land Rover from 2 product lines (Discovery and Range Rover) to three product lines (Defender, Discovery, Range Rover) is not a minor undertaking with cost increasing while volumes softened and China trainwrecked.View attachment 520829View attachment 520830

JLR also had a healthy profit last quarter.
US sales are up, Uk sales are up, china is improving. New evoque, new DS, New Defender, electrified everything. I dont see anything going backwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior