2020 Defender Spy Shots....

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackangie

Reference point - Have a D1, RRC and a LR4. The new Defender appears to be a smaller LR4 with maybe better technology and newer powertrain. Is it better? We shall see. The new Discovery is a virtual failure as monthly sales numbers are very low. LR is trying to move that model to a new niche and that takes time.

As for the new Jeep NCAP test, I've said this before, Jeep owners rank safety test at the bottom of the feature list. They are looking for a fun vehicle that can be stripped of doors and accessorized. Think large tires, open convertible-like configs and lots of sun. They are not looking for what some government weenie tells them they should be driving.
Still doesn't stop a graveyard of them getting killed each year with their families on the way to work or the trails, educated people make educated decisions, that's where the new defender will make conquest sales.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

blackangie

I made some performance notes on the new video by the timeline. There are some interesting revelations clearly demonstrated in the footage.

My notes:

For vehicle dynamics, there is a clear demonstration of not only advanced and highly tuned traction control, but stability control as well, with limited (or even driver-selectable) intervention as shown in the higher speed clips, and on the ice and snow, the Defender exhibiting significant step out and sustained drifting. On the sand, individual wheelspeed rates are highly varied (at :11 and :15 seconds) , which shows their intention towards performance in that environment and limited TC intervention in sand mode. The audible note from the engine in the opening scene hints at a larger displacement gasoline engine with good output.

The suspension demonstrates good control and predictability on both the pavement and in the dirt, the body staying flat during high-speed, dynamic cornering, and proper damping tuning for compression and rebound managing the weight of both the 90 and 110 chassis and reciprocating mass under higher cycling rates on the dirt. This should result in minimal head toss and good control for most overland conditions. At :12 seconds, it shows a large input event, with full compression to the jounce and proper rebound control. That clip also clearly reveals the diameter of the wheel and the small brake discs. Maybe (just maybe) a 17 inch wheel will be possible with minor modifications or a custom casting. The water depth at :25 seconds is a positive indicator of not only fording capability, but Land Rover’s willingness to promote it. Also unusual for a manufacturer is to show a jump, as they do at :34 seconds, with the 110 leaving the pavement by a foot. Despite all of these details, what is most telling is Land Rovers clear intention with the vehicle, all of the footage showing high speeds, dynamic inputs, drifting, technical terrain, deep water, deep snow, and deep mud.
Fantastic write up, feel free to use any of the screenshots above if you want to add them in, I noticed the video was unlisted when i first saw it posted, im guessing it was sent out for early access.
Exciting times and thanks again for the insight.

blackangie

Yes and no. Total pressure seen in a cylinder is compression ratio + boost, both over atmospheric pressure. Without variable vane the total boost is over the atmospheric pressure which is -20% at 6,000 ft. With variable vane the turbo can be spun faster to somewhat compensate for altitude (MAF reading) but there are limits to the turbo the manufacturer used. So the answer is ......... it depends. Automotive turbo's are not the same as aviation turbo's.
Sooo you were wrong? altitude for the new defenders towing and the D5 is a non issue. I believe its been tested at extremely high altitudes so we should be fine.

gatorgrizz27

Anybody else getting tired of this multi year release and small snippets of continued teasing?

It’s a bit like the girl that flirts with everyone but won’t ever do anything else, and they all lose interest.

I can’t help but think it won’t live up to all the hype, when it rolls out with a 2.0 L 4 cylinder for $65k.

blackangie

Reality. JLR needs to turn it around or Tata will be selling them off. Period.
From memory didn't they already save over 1.25 billion pounds since cost cutting began, surely that's positive or is than a negative and not enough

blackangie

Anybody else getting tired of this multi year release and small snippets of continued teasing?

It’s a bit like the girl that flirts with everyone but won’t ever do anything else, and they all lose interest.

I can’t help but think it won’t live up to all the hype, when it rolls out with a 2.0 L 4 cylinder for $65k.
You do know its been seen at the nurburgring with a 6 and its only 4 weeks more until the 10th of sept.

REDROVER

Explorer
Ooohhh It’s heen tested at some German race truck, now it’s perfect expedition vehicle, and reliability vent from 10% to 100%

Watch YouTube videos about Nurburgring, anything and everything u can imagine goes there, doesn’t mean damn thing.

blackangie

Ooohhh It’s heen tested at some German race truck, now it’s perfect expedition vehicle, and reliability vent from 10% to 100%

Watch YouTube videos about Nurburgring, anything and everything u can imagine goes there, doesn’t mean damn thing.
What race german truck was it tested at? MAN truck or a different one?

The video of the Nurburgring was posted to show that a 6 cylinder petrol is on offer if you look at the context of our conversation.

I'm sure you know this but yes the ring helps with reliability testing but main leads to help with on-road Dynamics which I'm sure people appreciate when they swerve to avoid an oncoming car. But it is a very small piece of the real world testing that happens after the factory testing has been signed off.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
From memory didn't they already save over 1.25 billion pounds since cost cutting began, surely that's positive or is than a negative and not enough

JLR is still losing money and Tata Motors is also under financial stress. Companies are in business to make money.

".........Tata Motors share price has lost 51.96% during the last one year and fallen 30% since the beginning of this year.........."

voodoojk

Adventurer
im excited.. i was told that the interior has many many options.. bench front seat and rear jump seats again...etc etc. also being built on the d5 chassis.

roving1

I remember when Jeep killed the XJ and the 4 liter and I was waiting and pining for a TJ based gladiator or diesel Jeep and the Liberty was a disappointment. I was everyone in this thread until I just gave up on Jeep and moved on. Yes, there has been a resurgence of things at Jeep lately that is better. But I feel like present me should visit past me and tell me to give up even sooner and that I would be happier person.

I hope the optimists in this thread are correct but this endless non-release of the vehicle and the writing on the wall looks pretty grim.

blackangie

Certainly looks like a ladder under there, becuase there is a full length rack it certainly adds to the credibility of that, also looks to be something protruding from the front as the profile is different to usual and maybe a snorkel + 4 proper mud flaps

Accessory shoot?
26fdeac79ae9e5f9fb5b63b57b7a67b9.jpg
fd9b0e811bb01a09229ed7243895c7f2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles