2020 Defender Spy Shots....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TOUGE

Im guessing an embargo was lifted on this and everyone invited is now releasing articles.

First ride: 2020 Land Rover Defender prototype | Autocar

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

There's some good and some bad things in that article if it is true.

This is the Lamest and one reason why the VW Amarok automatic in Aus as an offroader didn't sell too well, "Land Rover wouldn’t be drawn to confirm whether low-range transfer gearing would be available, or whether the first gear of the car’s eight-speed automatic gearbox was intended to be short enough to take care of even the most testing of off-road demands. But modern auto ’boxes being as they are, there’s a good chance it might."

Just stupid if true, "both all-terrain and mud-terrain tyres on the options list and bespoke ‘terrain response’ traction control software tuned to make the most of the extra off-road ability those tyres offer."

Good points, "Deeks goes on. “Steel coils are standard fit, air suspension is optional. But we’ve got special controls monitoring the adaptive dampers, for example, to ensure they don’t overheat when working really hard. If you have the air suspension, we reckon the car is better able to keep its wheels on the ground and its body clear of obstacles than it would on rigid axles anyway.”"

"The car’s four-wheel-drive driveline, meanwhile, will have a more hardcore standard specification than on a like-for-like Discovery, with electronic locking differentials likely for both axles."

Last last quote reinforces more that the Defender is taking over the Disco/LR3-4 line and the current Disco, while still quite good offroad was never intended to replace the disco4/lr4.

spicedham4ever

Good news with 18" wheels confirmed. "Wheels will vary from 18in to 22in, with both all-terrain and mud-terrain tyres on the options list ..."

Seems odd to keep mum on low range; the Discovery has low-range and seems like most of the mechanicals will be shared.

Getting stoked, seems like just about every wish list box is checked. Hope customization and price are solid as well.

naks

This is the Lamest and one reason why the VW Amarok automatic in Aus as an offroader didn't sell too well, "Land Rover wouldn’t be drawn to confirm whether low-range transfer gearing would be available, or whether the first gear of the car’s eight-speed automatic gearbox was intended to be short enough to take care of even the most testing of off-road demands. But modern auto ’boxes being as they are, there’s a good chance it might."

this is the only bit that worries me! Low Range is a must!

blackangie

this is the only bit that worries me! Low Range is a must!
Whilst i also want low range, and we dont know if it will or wont have it, if the final drive ratio is low enough, does it mater how it comes about?

JackW

Explorer
Low range is essential for backing up trailers - especially on a boat ramp or backing into a tight campsite. I use it frequently on my Discovery 5 because I have a steep driveway.
I really don't believe that they won't offer a low range - especially since its offered on the D5, RRS, and Range Rover and they all have eight speed transmissions.

escape17-1.jpg

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Land Rover went with defeaturing for the 2015/16 LR4. The Heavy Duty Package, which included two-speed transfer case, locking rear differential and full size spare became an option. I would think the new Defender product line would go the same route.

Personally I would not consider a LR4 or Defender without low range for a myriad of reasons. By making the heavy duty package an option available only on certain models it pushes the price to a level that will be problematic. The LR4 with HD became a $75K+ vehicle. A Defender with HD would likely price out in the same range. Where is JLR headed? A recent article highlighted that :

Review: The 2019 Range Rover Sport P400e hybrid is a nice luxury SUV, but not a great value at $93,200

blackangie

LRO article talks about:

Permanent All wheel drive
3 diff locks
D7u based.
Standard low range
18-22s
All terrains standard
Wading depth more than d5's 900mm
Coil & air options
Diff ratios different to D5
Paddle shifters optional
No manual
Trademark Alpine windows
110 more comfortable, 90 better offroad due to ramp over.
Tested to a level between other fullsize LR's and mil spec.
Stronger welded and braced subframes, balljoints, susp arms longer and stiffer.
Structural undertrays stiffer.
Large objective gains both on and offroad at this stage, without losing core defender DNA.
Adaptive dampners

Access full story by their LRO app.
9132f5628086d1aeba94312088db67ac.jpg

JeepColorado

3 Diff Locks, low-range, 18s, Coils (I'm old-fashioned :)), Alpine Windows, tested to a level between full-size and mil-spec!!!!! The news is getting very good!!

TOUGE

If that's true that is VERY promising.

If it turns out to be a decent vehicle my parents are looking to sell the SWB Toyota Prado(the chassis of the FJ Crusier for people in the States but diesel and weird looking) for the 90. Their Pardo now has done 3 seperate trips around/across Australia.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I’ve been watching this wondering if the Bronco will be similar but 10spd plus the option of plugin hybrid? This could get real interesting real quick.
I think you guys are off by $15,000 -$20,000 on price. The dang 2020 Explorer is 50-60k the Lincoln version pushes $80,000! I bet the basic Defender is $60,000 but only had if you order it. The most common trims will likely be 70-80k

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior