2020 Defender Spy Shots....

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaels

Explorer
new defender all black upper.jpg

man it looks better without that white box on the rear window and the A pillars in black. that's more like it to me. relatively easy fixes I suppose (via paint) but still should be an option from the factory.

Last edited:

perkj

Explorer
Payloads of capable four wheel drive touring platforms...

1,984 lbs - Defender 110
1,670 lbs - Land Cruiser Heritage (regular is 1570)
1,660 lbs - Ram Power Wagon
1,560 lbs - Tundra TRD Pro
1,550 lbs - 4Runner TRD Pro
1,361 lbs - Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
1,200 lbs - Gladiator Rubicon
1,155 lbs - Tacoma TRD Pro
1,100 lbs - Colorado ZR2

Edited to correct some figures.

LR3/LR4 playload is 1325 lbs...1984 lbs is impressive

Union

I knew I saw something similar before... Anyone remember this Toyota concept a couple years back?

1000x707.png.1a3c8d4a509a419bb470a1d0cce37949

1280x720.png.c77645b8a10947d39640168fb406f290

naks

The ONE thing LR has never lied about is the towing ability of its vehicles. This is why you see a lot of rusted Defenders/Series around Cape Town - people have been using them to tow their big boats and put them into the sea, which no other vehicle was able to tow legally.

When the Puma was released in 2007, they made it tow a 12t truck - that was impressive.

Very disappointed that the diesels require AdBlue... Imagine running out in the middle of the Kalahari and then the 85 CPUs decide you're not going anywhere

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

blackangie

1,560 lbs - Ranger SuperCrew 4x4

BTW, you overstated the Tacoma. It's 1,540 lbs for a 4x2 SR spec Access Cab. The highest 4x4 is an SR spec Access Cab at 1,380 lbs. Typical TRD spec Double Cab 4x4 is 1,175 lbs.

The highest payload in the Ranger is 1,860 lbs for a 4x2 SuperCab.
4x2s dont count

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Kaikandojo

I have to say that Land Rover really brought their A-game. Very impressive - love the look too (with a set of KO2s). I have a 100 Series LC, and love it dearly, but have lost patience with Toyota waiting for their LC and 4R redesigns. This warrants serious consideration. Well done Defender!

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
Interesting interview with Gerry McGovern from Autocar: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/...efender-designer-gerry-mcgovern-reviving-icon

Two quotes to take home:
1)
“This is a business and the old Defender, at the end of its life, was a niche vehicle. Take out corporate sales and it had around 4500 retail customers a year. That is not sustainable. This car needs to have universal appeal."

2)
“My hope is they say it’s right for the brand today. Yes, lots of current owners will keep their current cars forever – but to be brutally business-like about it, there’s not much point designing a car for them in that case, is there?"

So from those two it is fair to say that the old niche market was not profitable, and that a long lasting (I've seen people mention 25 years) product was not going to be the case - it's an unsustainable business model really.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
They shouldn't - it's a different class of a vehicle.

In other news, Ferrari released the F8. One thing is certain, Corvette / Mustang doesn't have a thing to worry about...

I was comparing to the Grand Cherokee. The base model.

naks

The Lego was also launched yesterday:
with AWD, a proper hi-low transfer case, IFS, working winch!!!

SWAMBO is thrilled, can't wait to order it!

naks

Some more detailed technical information from this Oz article: https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/2020-land-rover-defender-50-facts-figures

A few salient ones:

14 - Defender's electrics gets IP67 electrical rating
The electronics and connections in the new Defender have been designed to meet the IP67 water immersion standards. That means they can be submerged in one metre of fresh water for an hour without intrusion or damage.

31 - Bullbar
Land Rover has developed a ’roo bar specifically for Australia. To be made of steel, the bar will be offered as an accessory, keeping intact all sensors and safety systems. The ’roo bar will be revealed closer to the car’s June 2020 on-sale date.

34 - Crawl time
The Defender has an impressively low crawl ratio of 51.5:1 for diesel versions and 57.2:1 for the six-cylinder petrol.

45 - Stopping power
There is no mechanical link between the brake pedal and the brake discs. Instead the Defender gets a brake-by-wire system claimed to provide more “precise, linear brake pressures”. Engineers also say the electronic braking system helps with off-road traction due to the ability to better regulate braking to each individual wheel.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles