2020 EarthCruiser?

gregmchugh

Observer
So how does the 2020 chassis work? They buy a new Fuso and replace the engine, trans, and axles? A gas engine makes a ton of sense.

I would add a composting toilet and some way to add a canvas cover over the cabin section... it would look more like a delivery truck for those times you want it to not stand out. Could still access the interior through the pass-through...

Comes with the gas engine and Allison transmission (no diesel Fusos for North America now) and they do all the rest.

Last edited:
Which Fuso do they start with? 140, 160, or 180? And what are the advantages of one over the others in the EC configuration? Just curious...

gregmchugh

Observer
Which Fuso do they start with? 140, 160, or 180? And what are the advantages of one over the others in the EC configuration? Just curious...

I believe they are using the 160 since it is available in both standard and crew cab. I don’t think there is an advantage with the higher GVWR 180 standard cab since the whole suspension and braking system is being replaced anyway but I could be off base on that.

Keyne

Adventurer
Too bad the stock Fuso doesn't offer the gas engine with 4x4... Said differently I wish we had 4x4 cabover trucks available in the US.

gregmchugh

Observer
Too bad the stock Fuso doesn't offer the gas engine with 4x4... Said differently I wish we had 4x4 cabover trucks available in the US.

Agree with the issue of a lack of 4wd cab forward trucks in North America but in the end there is really not a big market for them over here. I would guess that a Fuso gasoline OEM 4wd would not have enough sales to justify the investment and production costs but the upside is that the EarthCruiser 4wd conversion will without a doubt be a much better solution for real off road travel than Fuso would have produced. At a higher price point, no doubt, but probably worth the cost.

Keyne

Adventurer
Agree with the issue of a lack of 4wd cab forward trucks in North America but in the end there is really not a big market for them over here. I would guess that a Fuso gasoline OEM 4wd would not have enough sales to justify the investment and production costs but the upside is that the EarthCruiser 4wd conversion will without a doubt be a much better solution for real off road travel than Fuso would have produced. At a higher price point, no doubt, but probably worth the cost.
I wonder if it would be possible to have a company do a 4x4 conversion like Earthcruiser that could result in a less expensive solution? For instance, $30K (ouch) to modify a Fuso to 4x4 and then add an Alaskan flatbed camper (or build a composite camper box)... still a lot less expensive than an Earthcruiser.

Steve_382

I agree Greg, saving $20K to $30K on a $300K plus unit that doesn't perform well is probably not the best solution.

Keyne

Adventurer
That has been done, but the results don't look nearly as nice as a finished EarthCruiser.

I believe those are all on stock 4x4 Fuso's. I was wondering if it is possible to do a 4x4 conversion on a new Fuso and how much that would cost. Adding a camper is the easier of the two I think. I just think $300K is a lot... I would be really happy with a composite body or an Alaskan if I could do the whole thing for max $150K (still a lot).

gregmchugh

Observer
I believe those are all on stock 4x4 Fuso's. I was wondering if it is possible to do a 4x4 conversion on a new Fuso and how much that would cost. Adding a camper is the easier of the two I think. I just think $300K is a lot... I would be really happy with a composite body or an Alaskan if I could do the whole thing for max $150K (still a lot).

We are getting a little off track since this thread is a discussion of the 2020 EarthCruiser but I will say that a less expensive 4wd conversion for the gasoline Fuso is surely possible since EarthCruiser is using top of the line components, is replacing the rear driveline instead of just replacing the dual rear wheels with a single wheel, is customizing the transmission calibration, and other design choices to optimize the 4wd for off road and on highway use. And mounting a Alaskan/Bigfoot camper or a composite box will be less expensive than the EarthCruiser camper, especially if you do the work of finishing the interior of the composite box. In the end you will have a nice rig but not really at the level of the EarthCruiser, in my opinion. And I expect you could hit your $150K target also.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I wonder if it would be possible to have a company do a 4x4 conversion like Earthcruiser that could result in a less expensive solution? For instance, $30K (ouch) to modify a Fuso to 4x4 and then add an Alaskan flatbed camper (or build a composite camper box)... still a lot less expensive than an Earthcruiser.
I think you would be hard pressed to find a company to do a conversion for you. I actually looked around several years ago when I was toying with the idea of converting a crew cab to 4 wheel drive. Nobody wanted to touch it.

If you have the shop, equipment, and expertise you could do it yourself, but given that converting an E-350 to 4WD will run you $20k+ (UJOR kit), I don't think you will be able to come close for your $30k budget even if you DIY it and don't count your time. I figured that the labor for the UJOR conversion (not counting the fuel tank and drive shafts) would be about $4k, and that's with all the jigs, instructions, support and videos available.

AMBOT

Adventurer
Is it true that the 2020EC has more headroom in the back than the previous exp? (78->82in?) will this also be the case with the FX?

Michelle@EarthCruiser

Supporting Sponsor
The first V8 FX is underway now and will be completed by early January. Next after that is a dual cab FX.

Head room in the EXP has always been about 6'7". It is our 'cathedral ceiling' version. The FX is slightly less but not substantially.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne