2020 EarthCruiser?

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
So maybe the 140 for the single cab and 160 for the crew cab, not that it makes much difference since everything that would effect the GVWR seems to be getting replaced anyway, driveline, suspension, brakes, etc. No reason to pay extra for a 160 single cab if all the stuff that makes it a 160 vs a 140 gets removed anyway in the 4wd conversion...

Yep, seems so.
And fully agreed!

wfv56

I actually just got the final answer on this question today! Sorry it took so long. It is somewhat of an open ended answer, but I'll give you what I have. The new V8 chassis sits up higher than the old version, in order to keep the overall height the same, the roof panel had to be redesigned. That new roof has yet to be installed, so the actual interior height is still not exact. All of the CAD drawings show that it should be 82" in the main area of the house (the area right in front of the kitchen). The past models are around 85" in this same area. BTW...we still have one diesel platform available to build on....OMEGA could give you everything you need in both height and performance! Plus, we might even make you a good deal and you can still pick your own options!! Let me know if you are interested in seeing what we can do for you on that build! https://earthcruiser.com/our-vehicles/omega-the-last-diesel/
You mentioned you were going to give a review of road manners of the old and new drive trains on the trip home from outdoor East. Have you posted that somewhere?

You mentioned you were going to give a review of road manners of the old and new drive trains on the trip home from outdoor East. Have you posted that somewhere?
I have not, so here it goes!

The primary difference between the V8 and the diesel platforms, as it relates to road travel, would be the top speed and pick-up. While the diesel units are good in both of these areas, the V8 chassis is definitely an upgrade. My trip from Chicago to Bend a few weeks ago was certainly an experience, including an almost two day road closure in Wyoming. A road closure that I thought I could get around at first with a detour down 230 out of Laramie south into Colorado and then back up to Rawlins....(MISTAKE!) 230/130 during a snow/wind storm was challenging (to say the least)
Luckily, I was in one of the most capable 4x4 vehicles in our industry..(IMHO) and almost 4 hrs later I was back on I-80....still closed!
But, I am getting sidetracked...
The majority of the drive was uneventful and I was able to run consistently at speeds in excess of 80 mph! Mostly I kept the cruise set around 78 mph though. It was nice to be running 70 mph and know you had a "kick" left for passing. She pulled up grades with ease and the custom EarthCruiser reprogrammed Allison just seemed to know when to shift to keep a nice steady "pull" uphill.
The truck handled like a dream even though the demo V8 didn't even have our new hydraulic steering assist installed yet.
I was concerned that the additional tire size (37" Toyo's up from 35") might give the front end a more "squishy" feeling, but I can say that I was very impressed at how stable and responsive the front end felt.
Braking was fantastic, the new V8 has 4 wheel disc brakes and they perform wonderfully. In fact, the reason the EC was in the Midwest to begin with is that we had her at a national brake testing facility in Ohio prior to the Chicago Boat Show. Brake testing is something we take very seriously, as you would expect, and our new disc system passed with flying colors. And after a couple of thousand miles behind the wheel in some pretty "hilly" conditions, I can concur that this system is well equipped to answer the call.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Don, are these 14" front and rear disc brakes ones that Dynatrac engineered(and thus come with the 80Pro axles)?

I just read that EC is testing the Gas/Petrol Webasto heater and are also testing electric water heaters. We might be seeing the additional Diesel/Kerosene requirement go by the wayside and see a Gas/Electric only EC in the future. It would be nice to see them move to a single liquid fuel source.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I heard the petrol Webasto from EC direct, in person, unsure on elec water heater. On the Fuso's moving forward, it'd make sense to have single fuel (petrol), but for their EXD product, since RAM and Ford owners will want either petrol or diesel, EC could make a single fuel source for those EXD's (either diesel or petrol).

gregmchugh

Observer
I heard the petrol Webasto from EC direct, in person, unsure on elec water heater. On the Fuso's moving forward, it'd make sense to have single fuel (petrol), but for their EXD product, since RAM and Ford owners will want either petrol or diesel, EC could make a single fuel source for those EXD's (either diesel or petrol).

Thanks for the info, the more options the better...

We are pretty happy with our Webasto Dual Top but, even with the digital control panel, it has an issue keeping a relatively constant temp in the cabin, temp swings +/- 5 deg F around the set point over a 6 hour cycle. Webasto says that’s the way it works.

Petrol Webasto cabin heater might be a nice change if it keeps a set temperature. Electric hot water could be good depending on energy usage and hot water capacity.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Espar/Eberspacher Airtronic B4/D4/etc's have worked well in the #vanlife builds. No carbon issues with the petrol versions, unlike the diesel versions.

gregmchugh

Observer
It was a response from EC when I posed the question on one of their Youtube Videos.

Thanks for the info on their comment response, I had watched the video when it first appeared. A single fuel source is the clearly the best option, Petrol Webasto Air Top cabin heater and electric hot water would be fine assuming the hot water capacity is good and electrical usage is reasonable.

gregmchugh

Observer
Any idea what electric water heater EC is using? I’ll be going with an electric water heater on my build for sure and finding very limited real world info and feedback

Total Composites has a 12v electric water heater and another one that uses heat heat from a cabin heater...

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Total Composites has a 12v electric water heater and another one that uses heat heat from a cabin heater...

I saw that, and looks neat, but...

1) I haven't seen any real world reviews
2) Unless I'm missing something, the heater (air) needs to be running on high to warm the water and the tank is pretty small

I am thinking of the EcoSmart 4 or 6 gallon self contained unit

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier