2020 Ford F250 on 37s - Expedition Truck Camper Build!

montypower

Adventure Time!

Introducing our brand new 2020 Ford F250 XL 4x4 Super Cab that we named "The White Knight"!

This truck replaces our 2019 F250 XL Crew Cab 4x4 truck that we purchased in December 2019. It is extremely similar but shorter! It has the 148" wheelbase vs the 160" wheelbase and the total length (bumper to bumper) is under 20ft! This shortens the turning circle from 53ft to 50ft and allows it to easily fit in any parking space.

Gaining improved maneuverability and capability with the shorter wheelbase will help off road. The big tradeoff is the smaller cab area. We should still be able to fit our 2 mountain bikes inside even with the smaller cab.

Original Purchase Order:

2020 F250 SRW 4x4 SuperCab XL 148” WB – 6.2L – Oxford White

Options:
4.30 Axle Gears + Electronic Locking Diff
Power Equipment Group
Skid Plates
Trailer Brake Controller
Upfitter AUX Switches
240 Amp Alternator
Bed Mat
Sync 3 Voice Activated
XL Value Package

Modifications:

Tires : Toyo RT Trail | 37x12.5R17”
Wheels : Method 701 17x8.5" (MR70178587500) including spare + Black Lugs (CJC-FSBCT)
Spare Tire : 37" Yoko X-AT (used - actual diameter measures 35.75")

Armor:
Rock Sliders : One7 Fabrication (Derek) - Tube with fill plates and camper tie downs
Front Bumper : Warn Ascent 100918
Rear Bumper : Warn Ascent 98050
Winch : Smittybilt X20 12K G2 Comp Wireless (98512) with Thimble
Skids : Factory Optional Gas / Transfercase Skids
Rear Axle : UCF (Under Cover Fabworks) Sterling Steel Diff Cover
Front Axle : OX Diff Cover
Floor Mats : Smartliner Front Mats (for Vinyl floor)
Window Tint : XPEL XR Plus 20% Front / 5% Rear

Electrical:
Air Compressor : ARB CKMA12 (two on custom steel mounts under the hood powered by factory AUX switches) ability to air up passenger/driver side tires simultaneously (ARB Inflation Kit 171302)
Light Bar : 40” Curved Cree LED Black Series – Rough Country – 72940BD (custom fabricated mounts)
Driving Lights : Baja Designs XL80 677803
Fog Lights : Baja Designs Squadron SAE Amber (street legal) 257815
Rear Flood Lights : Baja Designs Squadron Sport Wide Cornering 55805
Camper Back Up : Camera Source (for tailgate removal) CS-FTRSD-LP-1720-5
ForScan OBD Adapter : OBDlink EX Forscan (amazon)
ScanGauge II – SG II Digital Gauge
Camper Power Feed : Terminal Fuse 100AMP, 1 gage SAE wire, Anderson Connectors
Ram Mount Dash Cam : RAM-B103U, RAM-B-202AU,
Ram Tablet Mount : RAM-202-225BU, RAM-HOL-TAB20U, RAM-101U

Steering:
FOX ATS Steering Stabilizer – FOX983-02-143 (added the frame spacer mount from FOX)
PSC Hydro Assist – Rebuild/Port Factory Gear Box (CA-F350-5), Hydraulic Cylinder 1.5x8” (SC2200K), Fittings HK2023, Swepco 715 fluid (6qt) FL-SWE715 – Custom Steel Mount fabricated on axle

Suspension Front :
Accutune FOX 2.5” Resi DSC Shocks (custom valved) – FOX-883-26-044
Carli 2.5” Lift Coil Springs (diesel) – CS-FLC-05
Carli Track Bar – CS-FATB-17
Carli Bump Stop Drops – CS-FBDF-2.5-17
Carli SS Brake Lines – CS-FORDBBL-LVL-17-F
Carli Reservoir Mounts – CS-FRM-2.5
Caster Shims (provided by 4WD alignment shop)
Icon Shock Boots – 252008
Sway Bar Delete

Suspension Rear:
Deaver Custom Leaf Springs – Designed to ride ~ 3” lift with 3-3500lb load – 10 leaf pack
Carli Rear Bump Stop Drops – CS-FBDR-17-FSP
Accutune FOX 2.5” Resi DSC Shocks (custom valved) – FOX-883-26-040
Brake Lines Crown Performance 4” longer than stock – CK1031-1940R-03PP0294

Axles :
Front Axle : Dana 60 High Pinion w/ Factory 4.30 Gears
OX Air Actuated Selectable Locker D60-410-35-AIR / INST D60-K / OX-DAL-001 / OXA1002
ARB Pressure Switch 150psi/135psi – 180901 (needed for proper locker function)
Rear Axle : Sterling 10.5” w/ Factory 4.30 Gears + Factory E Locker

Aux Fuel Tank : SpeedyTanks.com – Custom 21 Gallon Tank (see attached drawing)

Misc Modifications :
Camper Tie Downs (rock slider and rear bumper)
Camper L channel welded to bed for camper alignment
Rear Shock Tower Chop 2" (increase ground clearance)

Check out our Northstar Liberty Camper build here:
https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/2020-northstar-liberty-expedition-truck-camper-build.216281/

Attachments

• Tank Drawing.pdf
    862.1 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:

montypower

Adventure Time!

We took our brand new 2020 Ford F250 with only 200 miles and ripped it apart! We had ordered all the parts before picking up the truck from the dealer. We began work on day 2 of ownership!

The build included:
Warn Front Bumper
Smittybilt x2o 12k Winch w/ Thimble
Rough Country 40” Curved LED Light Bar
Warn Rear Bumper
ARB CKMA12 Compressors (two of them)
OX Locker Dana60 w/ Air Actuator
Carli Suspension: 3.5” coil springs, bump stop drops, caster shims, sway bar end links, track bar
Fox 2.5” Adjustable Resi Shocks
Method 701 : 17x8.5” Wheels
Yokohama Geolander X-AT 37x12.5R17
Custom Auxiliary 21 gallon fuel tank
Fabricated camper tie down mounts
Welded bed camper slide guides
Fabricated Rock Sliders

Huge thanks to my buddy Derek for facilitating the build in his fabrication shop and for building all the custom camper mounts, rock sliders, air compressor mounts, LED bar mounts and more… additional help from his friend “Twitch” (nickname) on the build as well. Derek typically builds custom off road buggy chassis, solid axle swaps and extreme off road type vehicles. He’s an extremely skilled welder and fabricator. I’ve known him for about 10 years and he’s helped on many of my past “odd” projects.
Derek's Shop: One7 Metalworks
Follow his builds on Instagram: one7_metalworks

montypower

Adventure Time!

Will 37" tires fit on a stock 2020 F250 Truck?

NOPE!! Well... actually they fit in the rear. They could fit in the front with enough cutting and trimming. Fitting 35" or larger tires requires aftermarket wheels or wheel spacers. With stock wheels your tires will rub on the sway bar and potentially brake lines. Not good!

Aftermarket wheels are wider and offer greater backspacing (push the tire out from the body). This helps resolve rubbing on the inside of the frame type components but increase rubbing on the bumper and fender.

With the ~4" Carli coil springs installed up front the tires clear the fender at ride height. However, they will rub when the suspension is compressed so additional trimming will be required. The Carli bump stop drop will help limit compression travel which is important for gaining additional clearance for the larger tires.

montypower

Adventure Time!

There are a bunch of people that lift these Ford Super Duty trucks. Mostly it’s for looks and rarely do owners consider installing a proper size spare tire. This really isn’t a huge issue when driving on the road or in town. Realistically, you can just call for a tow truck and not worry.

However, if you travel off road to remote locations like we do… you’ll want a full size spare tire. And the best way to carry a spare is in the factory stock location.

In this video, we measure and test fit to tell you the maximum size spare tire that will fit for the 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 Ford F250 F350 trucks. This is really helpful as I couldn’t find any exact information online regarding fitment.

ANSWER: Measure your actual tire!!! 36" diameter spare will fit if fully aired down (many 37" tires measure about 36" when mounted on wheels). Requires force to jamb in there. 35.75" diameter spare will fit snugly at full air pressure. I installed a used 37" BFG Ko2 spare.

Betarocker

Adventurer
Get some One Up Offroad Adjustable Link Arms (OUO ALAs) and move the axle forward. Also had the adjustment to set the caster to 5 degrees, which is the ideal value for lift Super Duties.

montypower

Adventure Time!
Get some One Up Offroad Adjustable Link Arms (OUO ALAs) and move the axle forward. Also had the adjustment to set the caster to 5 degrees, which is the ideal value for lift Super Duties.

Will take a look. Caster is within spec currently 2.6 degree shim. I wanted to push the stock radius arms before replacing them. They seem to be rather solid build quality....

Grassland

What are you going to install for wheel flares? Have you decided yet?

Good to know about the 4.30 equalling stock ratio on 37s.

montypower

Adventure Time!
Not a fan of wheel/fender flares. They increase the vehicle width and have a tenancy of getting damaged/ripped off on narrow trails. The tires are within the fenders so it shouldn't attract too much attention. Hopefully. :)

Grassland

Not a fan of wheel/fender flares. They increase the vehicle width and have a tenancy of getting damaged/ripped off on narrow trails. The tires are within the fenders so it shouldn't attract too much attention. Hopefully. :)
Wow second thing I saw is how far out of the wheel wells those tires were.

montypower

Adventure Time!
You have a good eye for detail. With a level against the fender the tire tread is 1/4" outside the fender. So somewhat of an illusion with the lift and somewhat aggressive tread. Thanks for your thoughts!

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Good thing the bodies aluminum, because around here, you won't have any paint left in a year, without fender flares.

The Bushwacker extend a fenders, the biggest ones without fake bolts, look nice on the 17+ SD's.

montypower

Adventure Time!
Good thing the bodies aluminum, because around here, you won't have any paint left in a year, without fender flares.

The Bushwacker extend a fenders, the biggest ones without fake bolts, look nice on the 17+ SD's.

Thanks for taking the time to offer the suggestion.

For me... I come from the 4WD world of primarily owning/building Toyota, Mitsubishi, Isuzu. The domestic full size world is much different. I guess I don't fit in! This is the cheapest F250 XL. Vinyl seats, vinyl flooring, no chrome, no sunroof, no extra electrical gadgets. We custom ordered it exactly as it is. My primary focus is durability and reliability. I'll spend money on items that will first improve capability without harming reliability.

Most HD truck guys seem to buy big tires and lots of bling. For me the entire picture has to be correct. Proper gearing for tires, locking differentials, speedometer properly calibrated, proper suspension (not blocks or brackets). I didn't choose my "favorite color" but an easy color to live with since it will be getting scratches.

I don't see myself spending $700+ on fender flares. However, if someone would like to donate the 3/4" extension flares... I'd be glad to install them. :)

Grassland

Must be camera angles, plus I'm watching on a phone. Looks way more than 1/4". If that's what it is that's not bad, but I'd personally still put flares to protect paint. I'm not a fan of flares either but I generally run small tires so hasn't been issue so far.

I hear you on the XL for simplicity and reliability, same with the 6.2 gas, and especially the 4.30 gears. Why NOT get the steepest gears available from the factory? Costs way more to regear after the fact.

I've been considering an XLT 6.2 SCAB short box, but wouldn't be building it up as aggressive as yours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier