2020 Ford F250 on 37s - Expedition Truck Camper Build!

montypower

Adventure Time!
Glad you were close to civilization Peter. What would have been your solution if you'd been 200mi away from civilization?, ie what are your backup fail-safes?

It was rather convenient timing!! We were rather remote for the past month...

Our Lithium Jump Box worked great (after charging) and "jumped" the truck the following morning. That's the easy solution. Alternatively, I may have connected the camper batteries to the truck (reverse connect) via DC Charger wiring. Past that... Cell booster to reach out for assistance (if in range). Next up... Mountain bike time (exciting adventure).

Many things are fixable but certainly not everything... key is to not get stranded from something stupid and simple!

DickM

just a member
There are off-the-shelf solutions for a large replacement mid-ship diesel tank.
Could you expand on this? The only mid-ship diesel tanks I can find are for crew cabs, or in the removed spare tire location. Nothing for the "extended" cab mid-ship.
Thanks

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Could you expand on this? The only mid-ship diesel tanks I can find are for crew cabs, or in the removed spare tire location. Nothing for the "extended" cab mid-ship.
Thanks
You’re correct. Nothing for gassers. Only crew cab diesels.

kilcoleman

Nameloclik
Are you diesel or petrol?
There are off-the-shelf solutions for a large replacement mid-ship diesel tank.
And for petrol engines, it's all custom, but it can be done if you have a whiz on your side (a whiz got my 60gal done).

Glad you were close to civilization Peter. What would have been your solution if you'd been 200mi away from civilization?, ie what are your backup fail-safes?

We’re petrol. It’s a short bed f350

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

montypower

Adventure Time!

We arrived in Moab, UT and decided to offload the truck camper! Removing the camper makes off roading much easier… We show the complete truck camper removal with tips. Plus, we will reload the camper which has increased difficulty off road where the ground is uneven.

- It’s a massive help to have 2 people! The driver should follow instructions from the “spotter”. My wife likes to drive because she just follows directions (not responsible for mistakes).

- Level ground makes the process easier (especially when loading).
- Be careful of wind! You’ll want at least 1 person holding the camper to help stabilize if there is wind.

- Take your time! We can unload the camper in 19 minutes (or 9 minutes once jacks are attached). It takes 31 minutes to load the camper (save 10+ minutes if not removing the jacks).

- Always keep the front of the camper higher than the rear. A majority of the camper weight is on the front 2 jacks. By tipping it towards the rear it adds stability and transfers additional weight to the rear jacks.

- Electric jacks (wireless) make the process much safer and easier!

Feel free to share any additional tips or things that help you…

montypower

Adventure Time!

We took the Truck Camper to Moab! With the camper offloaded we decided to test the Super Duty on some trails…

Hell’s Revenge trail is rated by the Red Rock 4WD club as a “6” trail rating:

“Trails are difficult with considerable erosion damage, loose rocks, dirt, and slickrock. Water in excess of 12” is possible with mud conditions. Steps not exceeding 36”. 4WD, 35" plus tires and two traction adding devices (lockers, limited slips) are required. A winch would be a plus. Enhanced suspension travel and good ground clearance are a required. Excellent driving skills are recommended.”

There are some more difficult (optional) challenges on the trail including “Hells Gate” and “Escalator”. We bypassed the Escalator as the hole was full of water. Maybe on another trip with a recovery vehicle if winching is required.

It’s incredible how well our full size truck performs. I love having the flexibility of removing the camper and tackling more challenging terrain. There are VERY few vehicle setups that allow for this level of capability, flexibility and comfort on extended travels.

Would you take your truck on this trail?

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Great job on the Gate. Are the mountain bikes secured in the rear seat or are they just sitting back there?

montypower

Adventure Time!

We loaded the camper and decided to try an “easy trail” called Chicken Corners in Moab.

Chicken Corners is rated by the Red Rock 4WD club as a “2” trail rating:

“The trail name dates from olden days when it was a pack trail and only the least "chicken" passed Chicken Corners. Today travel is easier, the actual Chicken Corners is a hiking trail, but it remains as scenic as ever. The trail follows the Colorado River downstream, squirms through lower Kane Springs Canyon, climbs and then descends the "Cane Creek Anticline" (spelling of the name is in dispute) via Hurrah Pass, and rejoins the river, a few hundred feet above it this time. The end of the vehicle trail is directly across the river from Dead Horse Point.”

This is trail is mostly a scenic drive for a side by side or stock 4WD vehicle. However, it’s much more challenging for truck campers! Massive drops. Washouts. Narrow Squeezes. But nothing compares to the hike at the end of the road around “Chicken Corner”. That puts your footing to the ultimate test!

Bigly

Wannabe
Nope. Nope. Nope. Not gonna walk that one. I think they rate it a lowly 2 for a jeep or ATV but having a rig like yours would seem to bump a 2 to a 4???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier