2020 Ford F350 - XLT or Lariat / options guidance?

LosAngeles

2020 Ford F350 - XLT or Lariat / options guidance?

Hi all

First time pickup buyer. We will custom order a 2020 Ford F350 - XLT or Lariat
A Hallmark pop up camper will be in it 99.999 % of the time. Currently learning about what options / packages we want.

A few questions to help guide me…

Do I care about Fog Lamps? (does anyone ever use them?)

Do we care about Pedals: Power Adjustable…?
My wife and I share driving when going camping.
Do the driver memories recall the Power Pedals?

Do we need to be Lariat to get power seats and power seat memories? I can’t figure this out.

I didn’t see heated and cooled seats listed anywhere on Lariat specs…. do we need to go higher to get heated and cooled seats? :-(

Do we want to get the 4.3 Electronic Locking Axle?
I believe it is much better for climbing mountains with the 2,500+ truck camper on the back, plus cargo…?

If we move to the midwest (a possibility) … would we want the remote start option, so we can warm up the F350 before getting in it?

How hard is it to wire in external lights, light bars, etc to the Ford optional Outfitter Switches?

with the vehicle (below) configured as we like, Ford offers either LT275/70R x 18E BSW A/T 4X4 tires

or for an extra $290, I could get LT275/70R x 18E OWL A/T tires.
what tires should i get?
I would MUCH rather have the tires come from Ford, from the start, and not have to change them out, and sell the stock tires.

By the way - we always use our cell phones for Navigation (Waze or Google Nav) so we have no use for a built in NAV. Any way to somehow NOT get it, to save $?

On our 8 foot bed, with a 9.5 foot Hallmark - the Ford Reverse Sensing System - will it work with 18” overhang of Hallmark, and also the optional Hallmark Storage bins & rear bumper?

* * * * * For what it is worth - this is the type of pickup + options we are looking at: * * *

F-350 - 2020. Custom ordered.
Crew Cab (4 real doors, most space)
6.2L gas
176” Wheelbase (max)
8 foot bed.
4x4
Single Rear Wheel (SRW)

4.3 Electronic Locking Axle (I believe it is much better for climbing mountains with the 2,500+ truck camper on the back, plus cargo)

FX4 Off Road Package (comes with Skid Plates : Transfer Case and Fuel Tank)

Snow Plow / Camper Package.

11,400 GVWR package (or whatever is max GVWR)

Rear Window - privacy glass.

Medium Duty Battery (a second battery)

Alternator Extra Extra HeavyDuty
LED Roof Marker/Clearance Lamps
Front 40/20/40 Split Bench Seats (not front console) so driver can exit passenger side if need be. (this is important to us with our current narrow driveway)

Inflatable Rear Outboard Safety Belts (Crew Cab®) - for our daughter.

Cruise Control
Power Equipment Power Door Locks and Windows
Steering Wheel Audio Controls
Tilt/Telescoping Steering Wheel
48 Gallon Fuel Tank – 176" Wheelbase
Integrated Trailer Brake Controller
Trailer Hitch Receiver – 2.5" Built Ford Tough® Trailer Hitch Receiver (SRW)
Hill descent would be very nice. A part of tow package I believe.

stuff John REALLY wants:

Adaptive Cruise Control (Lariat I think? Unsure)
Platform Running Boards (best if Ford does them. Less hassle, and not “modified” $445 2019.)
SYNC® 3 for Apple Car Play

have been advised to get:
Upfitter Switches $165 in 2019

Thanks!

John

I would go for the 7.3 Gas engine. Yeah I know 2020 is going to be first year for this engine. Maintenance cost should be lower. Even though the engine is bigger and more power, you may actually get better gas mileage, due to the engine not having to work as hard.

If you planning on going anywhere rocky or muddy you will find the electric locking rear axle a huge benefit. Also will be a benefit in snow as well. It is computer controlled and disengages above 30 mph so not useable for highway driving.

I am in the same situation you are in with a short wife. Yes memory seats and pedals. I am sure you know the pain getting in the truck after the wife has driven it.

Getting the upfitter switches does help if adding additional accessories.

I can only answer a few

Lariat with leather option should have heated/cooled. But my truck is a '14 so dont quote me. Pretty sure when you leather up that it has both.
Adjustable pedals-yes (nice option). I dont know if they are automatic or programable.
Fog lamps-yes
Locker-yes
up fitter switch-yes
Nav (onboard)-since you use other methods no. However if you get Sync Services you can access gas prices, weather food etc with voice command. I have the Sync set up and hate it. It never understands or I use the wrong word for the command and I end up getting mad. My phone is better and easier to use. And offline maps are getting way better to use for Nav.

Remote start is nice. Defiantly have it factory installed so it'll be covered under warranty. I like mine though I have to be within 50 feet to use it.

Reversing system It'll probably pick up the overhang and beep every time you put it in reverse. But you will still be able yo use the camera.

Stock tires are not always the best tires for you. It just means they made a deal with the tire company to have them on their vehicles, also means they can squirt a few extra ounces of fuel out of the truck with OEM tires. I say get the tires you want after you buy the truck at say Discount Tire-that way you can get the coverage and have them serviced at any discount tire in country. I have had my tires patched, rotated, replaced for just the price of the coverage.

Matters of the above are based on opinion only

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Soon. GM's new big engine made them get the 7.3's going early, I'll bet. Doesn't automatically make that the best engine choice though.

Absolutely get 4.30 Elocker if available.

Avoid adaptive steering.

Hill Decent is part of Fx4, and works below 20 mph. The hill decent feature you might be thinking of might be tow/haul mode, which is stock on all SD's.

Upfitter switches are a must have. Fog lights are worthless, and completely misused by 99% of Ford and Dodge owners. Turn them off on the hwy please. I'd recommend a pair of Rigid led's for hood mounted ditch lights, or bumper mounted fogs connected to your upfitters instead. Easiest truck in the world to add lights to the upfitters. You can go direct with LED's. Big halogens? I'd still use a Hella relay, and turn it on with the outfitter.

Make sure you have Tire Claws and recovery gear before taking the OEM Mich's off road anywhere. I'm still digging grassy mud out of my front bumper. I plan to at least wear the OEM tires half way down before replacing them. Hopefully they wear as fast as people say. It's been rough without my Cooper stt's.

The Missus climbed the rock wall on a cruise ship. She doesn't get to complain about climbing into the truck anymore.

Are you tinting the front windows? I avoided the tinted rears because I am. It's hard to match up tints. Especially when every tint shop in the state is a meth lab or grow house.

I wish I had remote start. But RS doesn't get the snow off of my hood. Truck is usually warm by the time I clear the hood and get my mail.

Don't use an automated car wash.
Plan on shocks and Fox ATS steering damper ASAP.
Don't forget to unlock your hubs.
Don't forget to check for all 4 hub caps and the hitch sleeves.
The hitch adapter sleeves are for jet skies and lawn mower trailers. Do not use them to tow heavy. Order a 3" or 2.5" proper hitch for the new truck for heavy stuff.
Big hitch equals big chains. You'll need 2 shackles for easy connection of random trailer chains. Odd, since I've been using that technique for 30 years now.
Rhino line or LineX the bed before you ding it up.
Remove the key fob serial number from your owners manual. Burn it, eat it, or put in a safe at home.

The tail gate is close to the bumper when opened. Watch for gravel and ice buildup on the bumper. Also note the black thing in the gap. I removed it, because it caught gravel, and replaced it with a thin plastic cover I made.

I want to try Sumo Rebel springs instead of air bags, this time.

Don't use an aftermarket tailgate lock.

White and charcoal grey are the best colors. I'm considering getting a couple rolls of black Oracal before wheels/tires.

I don't need the extra battery, and the plow package already has a pretty hardcore alternator. No big deal either way.

Last edited:

LosAngeles

Hi all - a related question:

If a city has a maximum curb weight (as defined in the city’s MOTOR VEHICLE REGULATIONS IN RESIDENTIAL DISTRICTS) of 8,000 lbs wet

How will I stand with a current Ford F350, biggest longest version, with an approx 2,500 lb (wet) Pop Up camper - always on board. Daily driver.

In other words - how would my rig relate to an 8,000 curb weight, the limit for residential vehicles in tat city?

Also in other words - would the (always mounted, daily driver) pop up camper’s weight count towards my curb weight? (in the eyes of the city)

the exact wording in bylaw is :

Any motor vehicle having a curb weight of eight thousand (8,000) pounds or greater. For the purposes of this Section, "curb weight" is defined as the weight of a motor vehicle with standard equipment, fuel, oil, and coolant;

thanks! :)

My guess, while that camper could/would be considered cargo, it probably wouldn't be included in the weight calculation the city is concerned with. That being said, my guess is that the listed curb weight will exceed the 8K and they would have a problem just because of the truck itself. Having the camper on it would probably make it obvious to the powers that be. I'm so glad I don't live in Stepford anymore...

I would assume the newer Lariat's with the adjustable pedals, etc would have position memory for of the adjustable items, my 2012 does. Mirror position, pedal position, seat settings, etc all recall to a programmed key, or to a memory button (on my door for the 2012). I have 1 key set to my wife's settings, the other to mine.

LosAngeles

I
My guess, while that camper could/would be considered cargo, it probably wouldn't be included in the weight calculation the city is concerned with. That being said, my guess is that the listed curb weight will exceed the 8K and they would have a problem just because of the truck itself. Having the camper on it would probably make it obvious to the powers that be. I'm so glad I don't live in Stepford anymore...

I would assume the newer Lariat's with the adjustable pedals, etc would have position memory for of the adjustable items, my 2012 does. Mirror position, pedal position, seat settings, etc all recall to a programmed key, or to a memory button (on my door for the 2012). I have 1 key set to my wife's settings, the other to mine.

I agree... the language of bylaw clearly states "vehicle" and makes no mention of cargo.

Plus will be licensed / registered as non-commercial.

A quick google of max curb weight of F350 2019 has a # that maxes out at less than 8k. good news.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
You're getting a nice rig. Why not go with the Amp Research powersteps? I'm not a fan of flimsy factory installed steps.
You can't tint the front windows in California. We employ sunglasses.
Agree on the 7.3 engine. The skinny tires will be problematic offroad with all the weight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles