2020 Ford Transit AWD

b. rock

It's a 6.03 granny gear, and IIRC the factory diff ratio was 4.86 or something like that. With small (27-30") tires it's a pretty low ratio. A torque converter can does wonders though, as long as it can shed the heat.

dahlers

Christian: To post pictures in this Forum is a bit complicated but I have pictures on my website http://reisephant.blogspot.com/
Comments on the other questions:
I have 2 expedition vehicles, the Transit for Africa and Latin America and a 2015 F 150 with Overlandex pop up camper for North America. When I compare the 2, the F 150 clearly is the more capable off road vehicle, the Transit is much more comfortable to live in. Both have roughly the same size (20 ft by 7 ft) and weight (under 8000 lbs fully equipped, wet with passengers). The major draw backs of the European Transit are:
  • Underpowered. It has a 2.4 l 4 cyl engine with 140 hp. Especially over 10.000 ft altitude this is not enough. Not a problem with the US Transit with 3.5 l ecoboost.
  • No low range: Especially at altitudes over 10.000 ft the engine needs at least 2000 rpm to have any power and this is equal to 9 km (about 7mph) in first gear. Incidentally exactly the same speed as the 4x4 Sprinter in low range at 2000 rpm. Less of a problem with automatic and the powerful 3.5 l Ecoboost. That at least is my experience with my f 150 where I rarely use low range because with automatic you can ceawl even without low range and with the low end torque of the Ecoboost you never lack power.
  • Small tires. Stock tires are too small. That can be solved with a lift ( see https://www.extremfahrzeuge.com/ford-transit-4x4.html ). Personally I would take the 235/85R16 because they are a standard size on the Landcruisers and Defenders and therefore widely available worldwide. Extrem managed to adjust the ECM. In Europe this is mandatory to be street legal.
An AWD US Transit with automatic and the 3.5 l Ecoboost would therefore go a long way towards addressing the problems I encountered when using it on expeditions. Compared to a truck you would still have the advantage of less wasted space with the long "nose". Right now the favorite for an internationally used Overlander would be the F 150 with 5 l and heavy payload package. Depending on the specs of the Transit I could change my mind.
You mentioned that Extrem managed to adjust the ECM. On their website advertising the ford lift packages, they say they do a mechanical speedo adjustment. Do they have some unpublished technique?

Note 2: Depending on the wheel size (rolling circumference) we carry out a mechanical speedometer adjustment.
We do not carry out an adaptation of the electronic signal, eg with on-board computer,
cruise control.

yoggie

A low range and center diff lock would be nice. Maybe they will make a Raptor Van ?

A Raptor Van would be awesome.

Based on the info above, it sounds like a low range will not work/fit, but a very low first gear and hopefully a center lock should be good enough for most people.

Scotty D

A Raptor Van would be awesome.

Based on the info above, it sounds like a low range will not work/fit, but a very low first gear and hopefully a center lock should be good enough for most people.
it would be good enough for me if I could get some decent sized tires on it

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
I'm in conversation with Quickley for a 2020 Transit cab chassis. The transit all wheel drive isn't getting a lot of stellar reviews in Europe. I think it's better to go with the Quickley. Down side is that they wont allow for a lift kit or bigger tires without compromising warranty. Can anyone shed some light if the factory all wheel drive can be lifted? Btw, we will be ordering the gas engine with dual alternators, cut out for a full walk through and all creature comforts.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
The North american AWD is completely different than the euro version, so we don't have much info yet. I would guarantee the AWD can be lifted. Its just a matter of development time. Vancompass has a good lift kit for the 2wd. I suspect it will take minimal modifications for the AWD.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I was wondering the same thing...any news on this? I drove a Transit over the weekend and really liked it. Can't wait to see the AWD version.

I've been searching for news/updates, as of now ordering starts on 7-15 and we may not see the AWD vans until November. Still unknown is the cost. The system is the same as the new Explorer and the upgrade to AWD on that is 2k so fingers are crossed that we pay the same! I'm ordering one on the 15th regardless.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I've been searching for news/updates, as of now ordering starts on 7-15 and we may not see the AWD vans until November. Still unknown is the cost. The system is the same as the new Explorer and the upgrade to AWD on that is 2k so fingers are crossed that we pay the same! I'm ordering one on the 15th regardless.

Thanks - I will be watching this closely. I do not need crazy offroad capabilities, I mostly need something to drive in the winter and down on the beach/fire roads.
But I do hope to take it down to Central/South America, perhaps even Africa so that rules out the new diesel engine such as the Sprinter. A Transit with EcoBoost seems more and more like a great option for us.

Sixinarow

Adventurer
I'm in conversation with Quickley for a 2020 Transit cab chassis. The transit all wheel drive isn't getting a lot of stellar reviews in Europe. I think it's better to go with the Quickley. Down side is that they wont allow for a lift kit or bigger tires without compromising warranty. Can anyone shed some light if the factory all wheel drive can be lifted? Btw, we will be ordering the gas engine with dual alternators, cut out for a full walk through and all creature comforts.

You mean... Quigley?

shirk

Has anyone been able to dig up more info on the AWD system?

Wondering if it would something that could be retrofit into a pre 2020 van.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online