2020 Ford Transit AWD

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Has anyone been able to dig up more info on the AWD system?

Wondering if it would something that could be retrofit into a pre 2020 van.

Doubt it. I spoke to a guy last week that seems to be in the know and he said the system is it's own deal, not the same as the 2020 Explorer which is what I had seen/heard. Ordering is supposed to open Wednesday.

whitenab

Doubt it. I spoke to a guy last week that seems to be in the know and he said the system is it's own deal, not the same as the 2020 Explorer which is what I had seen/heard. Ordering is supposed to open Wednesday.

Any word on ordering opening today? I'm surprised more information hasn't come out of Ford yet. Is this normal?

luthj

Engineer In Residence
I would say so. Vans have also been the red-headed step-child of the big auto makers. I guess they just aren't as cool as trucks...

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Apparently the order forms are available but no pricing until the end of the month. May or may not have something to do with some UAW negotiations. One source told me Jan before we see AWD. Should have more updates tomorrow.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I have been researching this new vehicle a bit more lately. I was surprised to see that there are so many different options available on a Transit. (such a long range fuel tank)

There is guy at Matt Ford who is really passionate about the Transit and apparently worked with Ford to offer the new CrewCab package. That seems like an interesting option especially for family as it comes with side airbags for the middle seat, and windows on each side. I built a very similar van 20 years ago based on a Dodge B250 extended - 3 dirt bikes in the back, 5 people in the front...funny how things don't really change...

I expect the Transit 4x4 to become the next big thing with the #vanlife crowd.

1563502275262.png

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
This is what we need. This would have a higher load capacity then the F150 or 250 with way better fuel millage.

Attachments

• P1010366_Auschnitt_klein_m.jpg
    P1010366_Auschnitt_klein_m.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 64

Victorian

We have used the regular transit on the commercial side for some time.

Attachments

• 91210-DAMS FORD LINCOLN SALES LTD-CONSIGNMENT (1).jpg
    91210-DAMS FORD LINCOLN SALES LTD-CONSIGNMENT (1).jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 60
  • 91210-DAMS FORD LINCOLN SALES LTD-CONSIGNMENT (1).jpg
    91210-DAMS FORD LINCOLN SALES LTD-CONSIGNMENT (1).jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 59

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I think Scott did a great job summarizing it:

shade

I think Scott did a great job summarizing it:

Just finished the article. No showstoppers for the Transit, and it was good to see that Scott had some time with similar models.

If the 4WD model sells well enough, maybe Ford will see an opportunity to develop it more in that direction to marginalize MB.

Victorian

Agreed. Great article! The current delivery status on the 4x4 Transits are still unknown with nobody really knowing anything... I almost think it will take another 6 months before we really see them on the roads.
Too late for us... I think we will go ahead in finding a 2019 cab chassis and get it converted by Quigley. If that won't work out, we will stick with the regular rear wheel drive with lift kit, bigger tires and a diff lock from Extreme in Germany. After all, ground clearance and good tires will get us to most places.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles