2020 Frontier - Same body, new guts

docwatson

Adventurer

All new (well 93% new) 3.8l V6 with a 9 speed auto. 310hp (class leading) and 281 ft-lbs. I couldn't find any MPG estimates. I am interested to read some reviews on the new powertrain once they come out.

No more 4 cylinder and no more manual transmission.

Edit: TFL says they were told 10% more fuel efficient so 18 or 19 combined for the 4wd with maybe 25+ hwy for the 2wd.

Last edited:

Bob Boyer

Hmmm... I like.

Glad to see things are still basic. I'll probably pull the trigger on one of these next fall or winter as the tech in the Rangers and Colorados just looks like it's going to be in the way. I know it is on the wife's new Subaru Forester. Been to one tech school just to learn how to drive the damn thing; that's more than enough for a lifetime. Nor do I want the added maintenance worry with all the newfangled gadgets - whether real or imagined.

Airmapper

High-Tech Redneck
Frankly my only complaint on the current Frontier is the transmission, maybe this addresses that or makes it worse?

The 5-speed auto hunts for a gear to a noticeable degree. Always feels like it's in one higher gear than it should be. Sometimes it makes the truck feel sluggish until you get a delayed downshift and a surge of power that the 4.0 has in spades. You have to consciously coax a downshift from it yourself with the pedal, it doesn't seem to want to just drop a gear on it's own as you slow down.

Rbertalotto

Explorer
Be sure to check payload for intended purpose. My friend bought one to tow a small toy hauler trailer. The payload on the hitch was far exceeded well before the tow rating was reached. This has been an issue with Nissan pickup trucks for years.

docwatson

Adventurer
Frankly my only complaint on the current Frontier is the transmission, maybe this addresses that or makes it worse?

The 5-speed auto hunts for a gear to a noticeable degree. Always feels like it's in one higher gear than it should be. Sometimes it makes the truck feel sluggish until you get a delayed downshift and a surge of power that the 4.0 has in spades. You have to consciously coax a downshift from it yourself with the pedal, it doesn't seem to want to just drop a gear on it's own as you slow down.
I agree. I've always liked my VQ40 but that 5 speed.

I'm keenly interested in reading the reviews about the new combination. Comments about the Titan 9 speed I've seen have been very positive. This one I think has different ratios that I'm sure pair well with the 3.8l.

Bob Boyer

Be sure to check payload for intended purpose. My friend bought one to tow a small toy hauler trailer. The payload on the hitch was far exceeded well before the tow rating was reached. This has been an issue with Nissan pickup trucks for years.
Is this an issue with the Nissan hitch itself that could be corrected by foregoing the factory hitch and installing a proper aftermarket hitch? Or are there other issues? Thanks for any advice.