2020 Gaia Topo Map

outback97

Adventurer
Outback 97

Which mapsource are you using for the screen shots?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

It's the Gaia Topo map, which is what I use most of the time. Sometimes I'll get the USGS since it has some interesting historical features. Occasionally I download the satellite with labels, though those files end up pretty big.

We're planning to get out and do some exploring again this weekend so hopefully I'll get some more time playing around with the new app.

1Louder

Explorer
The best change is the much smaller download size. It is now very easy to download an entire state for around 250mb per state. If the map layer gets updated Gaia GPS will now automatically download the update to your phone as well.

Superduty

Adventurer
The best change is the much smaller download size. It is now very easy to download an entire state for around 250mb per state. If the map layer gets updated Gaia GPS will now automatically download the update to your phone as well.

Yes, the smaller download size of the Gaia Topo layer is awesome. Gaia was junk on Android before this latest update, it is now markedly better.

1Louder

Explorer
Does anyone have any real world experience when comparing the newly updated Gaia vs. OnX Off-road?

No comparison unless you are happy with only using 2 different map layers (Topo/Sat view) OnX was crazy buggy until the recent update. I couldn't even stop recording a track. You still can't directly import GPX tracks into the app, have to do it online. I'm the Gaia Guy in my circle of friends. With that said I constantly look at other apps to see if anything else is worthwhile. I have yet to find one.

OnX has a filter for trail type. Dirt Bike Trails, 50" Trails, High Clearance 4X4 trails, and Full Width Roads. My guess is that is a filter from MVUM data and possibly National Forest Road data. I personally don't find that very useful. We have thousands of miles of dirt in AZ and very little would be categorized as for dirt bikes only. In a small sampling of data turning the 4 options on and off made no changes to the trails highlighted in my area. In Gaia GPS you can tap on trails and get the same data. A little less convenient but again I don't find that feature of OnX very useful.

Widest map you can download in OnX is 150 miles wide at low resolution. Gaia GPS has no restriction like that other than a 10,000 tile limit set by some map providers.

OnX has a long way to go.

Here are some screenshots from the online dashboards vs apps. Gaia can show all of the same info. It is just broken down into different layers which you can turn on and off. I have included an example of clicking on a trailhead to show pop-up data. Gaia has the correct link. OnX sent me to Yosemite park. Hmmm

020120205.jpg
OnX

020120204.jpg
Gaia Topo layer

020120203.jpg
Gaia with recreation layer turned on and tapping a trail head

020120202 3.jpg
OnX. Tapping the Additional Info Red link sent me to Yosemite instead of the proper website.

I would save your money.. Maybe look at OnX in a year. For the same pricing you can get over 250 map layers with Gaia GPS instead of 2 plus a much more mature app.

Last edited:

tdferrero

No comparison unless you are happy with only using 2 different map layers (Topo/Sat view) OnX was crazy buggy until the recent update. I couldn't even stop recording a track. You still can't directly import GPX tracks into the app, have to do it online. I'm the Gaia Guy in my circle of friends. With that said I constantly look at other apps to see if anything else is worthwhile. I have yet to find one.

OnX has a filter for trail type. Dirt Bike Trails, 50" Trails, High Clearance 4X4 trails, and Full Width Roads. My guess is that is a filter from MVUM data and possibly National Forest Road data. I personally don't find that very useful. We have thousands of miles of dirt in AZ and very little would be categorized as for dirt bikes only. In a small sampling of data turning the 4 options on and off made no changes to the trails highlighted in my area. In Gaia GPS you can tap on trails and get the same data. A little less convenient but again I don't find that feature of OnX very useful.

Widest map you can download in OnX is 150 miles wide at low resolution. Gaia GPS has no restriction like that other than a 10,000 tile limit set by some map providers.

OnX has a long way to go.

Here are some screenshots from the online dashboards vs apps. Gaia can show all of the same info. It is just broken down into different layers which you can turn on and off. I have included an example of clicking on a trailhead to show pop-up data. Gaia has the correct link. OnX sent me to Yosemite park. Hmmm

View attachment 578188
OnX

View attachment 578189
Gaia Topo layer

View attachment 578190
Gaia with recreation layer turned on and tapping a trail head

View attachment 578191
OnX. Tapping the Additional Info Red link sent me to Yosemite instead of the proper website.

I would save your money.. Maybe look at OnX in a year. For the same pricing you can get over 250 map layers with Gaia GPS instead of 2 plus a much more mature app.
Thanks for all the info. While some of the OnX features would be helpful here on the East Coast, where there are an abundance of dirt bike and 50" or less trails, most everywhere I'll be going in the next year I already have detailed MVUM, so that would only be so helpful. For the time being, it looks like Gaia it is. Thanks again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94