2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 3.0L EcoDiesel

Frank

Explorer
I was looking for this thread as I have commented in a few diesel Jeep threads and wanted to respond. I think the other thread dated back to 2017ish? This thread popped up since I am subscribed to it.

It is very clear that Jeep/FCA/Stellantis (and Ford too) is listening to the customer which I think is really great.

That said, in the mentioned thread from 2017, I said that if Jeep built a diesel Wrangler, I would be all in. Unfortunately, the price tag of that vehicle is so obnoxious, I can't fathom how they are selling so many vehicles. It isn't that I can't afford it, I just think a decently equipped diesel Wrangler ($50k plus) doesn't add up when compared to the segment.

The reviews (Scott's in particular) have been really great, especially considering the MPG enhancements and torque the diesel provides. It seems many are getting 22-25mpg while loaded up and paying attention to the right foot a bit...and I think that is amazing for an aerodynamic brick on all-terrain tires.

Dear Jeep: I think I speak for many when I say you lost a lot of fans with the price tag.

Maybe I will be a great 3rd owner.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I was looking for this thread as I have commented in a few diesel Jeep threads and wanted to respond. I think the other thread dated back to 2017ish? This thread popped up since I am subscribed to it.

It is very clear that Jeep/FCA/Stellantis (and Ford too) is listening to the customer which I think is really great.

That said, in the mentioned thread from 2017, I said that if Jeep built a diesel Wrangler, I would be all in. Unfortunately, the price tag of that vehicle is so obnoxious, I can't fathom how they are selling so many vehicles. It isn't that I can't afford it, I just think a decently equipped diesel Wrangler ($50k plus) doesn't add up when compared to the segment.

The reviews (Scott's in particular) have been really great, especially considering the MPG enhancements and torque the diesel provides. It seems many are getting 22-25mpg while loaded up and paying attention to the right foot a bit...and I think that is amazing for an aerodynamic brick on all-terrain tires.

Dear Jeep: I think I speak for many when I say you lost a lot of fans with the price tag.

Maybe I will be a great 3rd owner.

What are you thinking about for options packages?

Personally, I think the JLU Sport Diesel is the value of the decade with the diesel engine, heavy duty auto, and the larger D44 front axle. I personally wouldn't miss the 4:1 t-case from the Rubicon with the 8spd auto at all. Lockers can be added in the aftermarket for less than the Rubicon package cost difference. For me that only leaves the luxury stuff that I can't get with the Sport model without the price skyrocketing......heated seats, a color matched hard top, nav radio, etc.

pittsburgh

tacocat
What are you thinking about for options packages?

Personally, I think the JLU Sport Diesel is the value of the decade with the diesel engine, heavy duty auto, and the larger D44 front axle. I personally wouldn't miss the 4:1 t-case from the Rubicon with the 8spd auto at all. Lockers can be added in the aftermarket for less than the Rubicon package cost difference. For me that only leaves the luxury stuff that I can't get with the Sport model without the price skyrocketing......heated seats, a color matched hard top, nav radio, etc.

A tree fell on my tacoma this week, which has led to me searching autotrader looking at diesel wranglers. I have found quite a few diesels with cold weather and tow packages with a few other bell and whistles that my Taco didn't have for $43-44k. A few diesel gladiators around $47k

Not gonna lie I was a little sticker shocked at first, but really any decent and nice car these days seems to be going for well over $30k so I feel like $43k for a niche vehicle in this market is expensive but not to be unexpected lol, and if my Taco is totaled I might be joining the Jeep Diesel family.

Frank

Explorer
A tree fell on my tacoma this week, which has led to me searching autotrader looking at diesel wranglers. I have found quite a few diesels with cold weather and tow packages with a few other bell and whistles that my Taco didn't have for $43-44k. A few diesel gladiators around $47k

Not gonna lie I was a little sticker shocked at first, but really any decent and nice car these days seems to be going for well over $30k so I feel like $43k for a niche vehicle in this market is expensive but not to be unexpected lol, and if my Taco is totaled I might be joining the Jeep Diesel family.

Ouch.

In my area, a diesel wrangler with tow/cold weather/stereo is gonna fetch $50k. $50k opens a lot of doors!!!

pittsburgh

tacocat
Ouch.

In my area, a diesel wrangler with tow/cold weather/stereo is gonna fetch $50k. $50k opens a lot of doors!!!

I am willing to travel for the right deal. Most Jeep's in that price range were around 200 miles away.

Also, I am searching strictly by diesel option and willing to buy a basic sport with a soft top with the diesel package. Seems like even basic the new Jeep's have more bells and whistles than my other cars did ?

jocww

Where can I find one for 43k?? Ive been looking I totalled my x5 2weeks ago and need something new.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94