2020 Overland Explorer Vehicles (OEV) CAMP-X pop-up slide-in pickup camper (renamed "Back Country" as of 2023)

Chadx

♫ Off the road again. Just can't wait to get...
Do you guys find OEV to be responsive to emails? I wrote them a week ago, no reply.

Depends on the week, but note that OEV was closed for a week between Christmas and New Years and are probably very slammed catching up after being out of the office for a week+. That being said, it's typically best to (and OEV encourages this) reach out to an authorized dealership with questions rather than to OEV directly. I think they were onboarding a western Canada dealership (there is already an Eastern one). Once that is filled, that will eliminate the last area where orders go directly through the factory.

I recommend anyone with questions initiate a conversation through the nearest dealer (even if you don't plan to buy). That is what the dealership network is for. Growing as fast as they are, the factory/headquarters guys just can't cover the communication demand any more. Dealership communication means faster communication.

@Zach_F Since you are in Canada according to your profile and looking at the dealer map, https://overlandex.com/dealers/ , a western Canada dealer is not yet shown, but the eastern Canada dealership (Quebec) would be a good source, but I'm sure any of the US dealerships would be happy to answer general OEV questions for you as well. And, this thread is a fairly good knowledge base as well (for everything except prices).

Last edited:

sn_85

Observer
Huge discounts on OEV campers from Big Sky RV. They're a big RV dealer so I think they have a bit more leeway in terms of discounts and deals. If I was in the market for an OEV camper I'd definitely jump on these deals for remaining 22's!!!

Chadx

Add on note is that BigSkyRV sold to Bish's RV this summer. Their website URL seems to still be BigSkyRV, but that might change at some point. Just don't be thrown off if you call them and they answer as "Bish's RV". This is the dealership that is a couple 2 miles from my house and where we bought our CAMP-X a few years ago. They were the first OEV dealership.

sn_85

Observer
Add on note is that BigSkyRV sold to Bish's RV this summer. Their website URL seems to still be BigSkyRV, but that might change at some point. Just don't be thrown off if you call them and they answer as "Bish's RV". This is the dealership that is a couple 2 miles from my house and where we bought our CAMP-X a few years ago. They were the first OEV dealership.

Even more reason they can give you a bigger discount. Also these have been sitting on their lots for a while. I'm betting you could talk them down a few more thousand off the current discounted price.

tacollie

Glamper
We're hoping to replace our FWC with a camp x. Those ones being discounted make it sting a lot more that we're not ready yet ?

Ninelitetrip

Base price for a 2023 is $43,888. Dealer needs a better description of what if anything was installed beyond the standard, like the Molle panel. Why different prices, and a high MSRP?

sn_85

Observer
Base price for a 2023 is $43,888. Dealer needs a better description of what if anything was installed beyond the standard, like the Molle panel. Why different prices, and a high MSRP?

When I was doing research and getting the invoices and options list from BigSkyRV, the MSRP is reflective of the options for that particular unit built per OEV. They aren't overcharging you and the MSRP is set by whatever is ordered from OEV. David Blake at Big Sky was a straight shooter.

Chadx

When I was doing research and getting the invoices and options list from BigSkyRV, the MSRP is reflective of the options for that particular unit built per OEV...

Agreed. All three of those listings have different stock number and different VIN numbers listed and simply say "Call for Details" rather than listing out the options. Some of the exterior pics are shared between at least two of those listings, but the interior pictures seem unit-specific and unique so you can pick out a couple things. First one has no fridge and second have fridge, for example. But looks like a person really just needs to reach out to them to get the options sheet for all available campers and go from there.

PaulPritchard

ArizonaPaul
Just a brief note regarding camper insurance for those of you thinking of getting a new truck. We recently reviewed our truck/camper insurance and didn't see anything specifically for camper insurance. (At the time we bought our Camp-X we had a 2021 Tundra and had the camper insured - necessary for financing.)

After a call to the insurance company it was confirmed we had no camper insurance coverage, and that the coverage ended around the same time we traded for a new truck. Turns out the insurance company 'assumed' the camper stayed with the truck we sold. Not sure about the logic there.

So, FYI for those of you changing your truck and its requisite insurance, just make sure your Camp-X stays insured as well.

Chadx

Good call-out, Paul.
And a note for those who have a pickup auto policy that automatically covers a slide-in pickup camper and cargo while on the pickup, make sure you still have the insurer document the camper VIN and declared value on your policy. That type of auto policy coverage typically covers the camper ONLY while the camper is on the pickup. Meaning, if you have the camper off the pickup for the winter, or even pull the camper off to leave it at a campground or at the dealership for service, it is not covered while off the pickup. So it's often still worth a standalone camper policy.

No matter if your camper is covered by your pickup policy or under it's own policy, similar to your auto or home owners policy there is usually a per-item cap for the value of a "single item". So for any items you have in your pickup, camper, home, etc. that are of a high value (camera, firearm, electronics, optics, communication gear, mountain bike, skis/snowboard, furniture, large shop tools, aquariums, jewelry, etc.), it's easy for an item to exceed the single-item-value-cap. For example, on our policies, that cap is $1,500 per item.

To ensure adequate coverage for expensive single items, a "Personal Article" policy is recommended which will cover individual items for their full value, usually don't have a deducible, and cover the item no matter where it is located/used. That last bit is important because otherwise the item has to be in your home at the time of loss/damage to be covered by your home owners policy, or inside your vehicle at the time of loss/damage to be covered by your auto policy. If that fancy item is out of the home, vehicle, camper, etc., at the time of the loss, it's not covered under your home, vehicle or camper policy.

Last edited:

Bendsurfer

I'm surprised those have sat for as long as they have considering the quality and the wait times for FWC's. The camp M's are impressively discounted.

tacollie

Glamper
The one we are buying wasn't available when I first contacted Bish's. The salesman contacted us when the previous buyer backed out. They required us to take out a loan through them to get the pricing on the website. There are no penalties for paying off the loan the day we pick up the camper. The unit we are getting was built in June 2022. OEV wasn't on our radar until last summer when we actually got to see one first hand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles