2020 Overland Explorer Vehicles (OEV) CAMP-X pop-up slide-in pickup camper (renamed "Back Country" as of 2023)

Chadx

♫ Off the road again. Just can't wait to get...
Understandable. I just got a used one at Bish's about a month ago. Pretty impressed. I got it while waiting for my new Hawk ?

You'll probably be the first person every to move from an OEV camper to a FWC camper. I'll be interested in hearing your honest opinion on pros and cons once you make the change. (y)
Many of us are former FWC owners and so have enough experience in those to delineate why we moved from FWC to an OEV, so moving the other way will be an interesting perspective to hear.

Zach_F

We nearly got a FWC until we dug more into the Camp-X. The price difference was painful but it obviously covers some significant differences. It’s been fun so far. A couple of issues but glad we made the choice.

sn_85

Observer
You'll probably be the first person every to move from an OEV camper to a FWC camper. I'll be interested in hearing your honest opinion on pros and cons once you make the change. (y)
Many of us are former FWC owners and so have enough experience in those to delineate why we moved from FWC to an OEV, so moving the other way will be an interesting perspective to hear.

My take on it is that he couldn't wait any longer and bought the OEV since his new Hawk was taking too long. I couldn't imagine someone trading in an OEV for a FWC. That's like taking 3 steps backwards!!!

Bendsurfer

I'm selling the Hawk, keeping the OEV.

Bendsurfer

Well. That answers that. Ha.

I definitely like some features better about the FWC's and to me they are more visually appealing but there's no question about the quality difference. If I didn't find a decent price on a used unit at Bish's I would have stuck with the Hawk due to the large price disparity. Happy with the decision and the "X". It's a much morw winter capable camper than the Hawk and I won't have the same fear about my furnace failing as I would with the FWC. This thread actually helped in my decision so thanks for all the useful info.

okto

I just picked up my Camp-X last week and have leaks from both fans following rain. After talking with the dealer, it looks like the latest MaxxAir fans have two tabs that stick up on either side to attach a cowl. Those tabs have holes that go through the flange and allow water to penetrate. Mine have rubber stoppers or something in them but they still let water through. The dealer is going to send me a sealant to plug up the holes.

Do you have a picture of the tabs?

Zach_F

Erik at OEV told me he pulled a fan off the shelf and looked it over, and he couldn’t see how the water got in. That would be logical to me, too; who designs a fan with an avoidable water entry point? But Forest River put out a TSB for the fans, which my dealer found. I caulked them with Sika Flex and I am leak free after heavy rains and winds.

thegoldrun

That seems like a sweet deal. Our camper spends a ton of time below 32*. If we go lithium it will need some kind of warmer.

Yup i’m planning to add 12v rv tank heater pads to mine. This will provide up to 312Ah in a CampX battery box. Largest heated alternative I’ve found that will fit is the battleborn 270Ah.

tacollie

Glamper
I have a question for those of you that bought your camper at Bish's. They're requiring me to pay title and registration fees even though Colorado doesn't title or registration truck campers. I'm curious where that money is going and who's going to end up with it. Do any of you have any experience with this?

thegoldrun

I have a question for those of you that bought your camper at Bish's. They're requiring me to pay title and registration fees even though Colorado doesn't title or registration truck campers. I'm curious where that money is going and who's going to end up with it. Do any of you have any experience with this?

I live in Colorado and bought my CampX at Bish’s when it was Big Sky RV. I did not pay title or registration fees unless it was bundled in price. It is not listed on my sales contract. But they did provide a Montana title which I did nothing with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94